David Givens, WR
Antrell Hawkins, CB
Stephen Neal, G
Hank Poteat, CB
Chad Scott, CB
Michael Stone, S
Ross Tucker, OL
Adam Vinatieri, PK

So, who do you think needs to be in a Pats uniform next year?

Last edited:
ctpatsfan77 said:
Per Miguel's page, the free agents for next season are:

Exclusive Rights Free Agents (in other words, not really FAs yet):
Randall Gay, CB Y If only for 'diverstiy'
Gene Mruczkowski, C Y multifacited
Guss Scott, S N bye!
Billy Yates, G Y cheap

Unrestricted Free Agents:
Tom Ashworth, OT N too much $
Matt Chatham, LB Y like his politics
Troy Brown, WR Y emotional
Andre Davis, WR Y potential
Don Davis, LB N tough cut, I like the guy but better avail
Tim Dwight, WR Y if cheap
Heath Evans, FB Y is cheap
Christian Fauria, TE N thanks for the service but $
Doug Flutie, QB N luv him, too old, need upgrade
David Givens, WR Y only if a few mil
Antrell Hawkins, CB Y potential
Stephen Neal, G Y only if mid $
Hank Poteat, CB N draft better
Chad Scott, CB Y another go at it
Michael Stone, S Y Yeah F yeah, potential & STs
Ross Tucker, OL WTF? dunno
Adam Vinatieri, PK N Sign a young hungry cheaper kid w/ attitude

Those are my picks

ctpatsfan77 said:
Randall Gay, CB I'd definitely like him back to battle with Asante for the 2nd CB spot across from Hobbs. The loser becomes the nickel back. Sanders is the dimeback.
Gene Mruczkowski, C He knows the system well and is versatile. Since he hasn't really burst onto any scene yet, signing him cheap shouldn't be a huge problem.
Guss Scott, S This all depends on the draft and other DB developments. We'll see with Guss. Pretty injury prone, but is good insurance for Rodney.
Billy Yates, G Unless we can find someone cheap, he'll probably just be a practice squad or shadower next year.

Tom Ashworth, OT He'll be a backup next year, and unless we can get him for a backup price, I'd say no.
Matt Chatham, LB Hopefully he'll ask low, but he's pretty expendable.
Troy Brown, WR Of course.
Andre Davis, WR If we keep Dwight, I'd say no. If we don't keep Dwight, I'd say yes. Andre' has youth and some skills.
Don Davis, LB Nice STer and he's a humble man and will hopefully ask low.
Tim Dwight, WR Depends on the draft.
Heath Evans, FB No.
Christian Fauria, TE Again, all depends on the price. He's low on the depth-chart and is really only a goal line guy. Not too much loss if he isn't resigned
Doug Flutie, QB If he wants the vet minimum, I'd say sure.
David Givens, WR All depends on price
Antrell Hawkins, CB If Rodney, Guss, or Stone are back, I'd say no.
Stephen Neal, G He's still fairly young but it really depends on his asking price.
Hank Poteat, CB If he's needed, I'd have no problem renewing my Hank Poteat Fan Club membership.
Chad Scott, CB No, he's old and slow. Get someone younger in there.
Michael Stone, S He'll want something larger for his starter status. He should be a mid-line STer at best.
Ross Tucker, OL No.
Adam Vinatieri, PK Of course.

My thoughts in bold.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Those are my picks

Are you serious about not wanting to re-sign Adam Vinatieri?

Last edited:
I'd let Flutie retire, otherwise, I want 'em all. Let BB/Pioli sort 'em out. (Pardon the analogy to an old Western.)

Ashworth, Givens and Vinatieri!!

Can anyone explain why Adam has not gotten an extension??

jczxohn1 said:
I'd let Flutie retire, otherwise, I want 'em all. Let BB/Pioli sort 'em out. (Pardon the analogy to an old Western.)
Bingo, we got bingo again. (And the fluted one can come back if he wants, that's what the mini-camps and TC are for.)

pats1 said:
My thoughts in bold.

You do realize that after 5 gsames Mike Stone is closing in on the leadership in ST Tackles, against guys with 14 game to accumulate their totals. And BTW... he also has over 30 regular defense tackles to boot!

With a full year on ST, he would lead the team in ST tackles probably doubing the next closest STer. Izzo, the next generation!

I think Adam's agent has been suspended by the NFL for a year.
Won't get his cut if adam signs now. Probably, will wait until the
suspension is lifted. I'm pretty much on board with the Givens,
Adam and Ashworth. Gorin if Ashworth asking for too much. Don't
forget about S. Neal. I think our number one priority among current
players in extending "Big Sey". Defensive linemen like him are
irreplaceable. Let's make him a life-long Pat..a la...W.McGinest.

Originally I cut and pasted the original thread and planned to cut some folk, however when I began there is not many, if any I do not want back next year. I agree there needs to be priorities and mine are"

Seymour...long term
Givens......long term
Vinateri.....long term
Neal.........long term
Troy Brown.1 year
Antrell Hawkins.2 year contract
Chad Scott.another year
Stone...2 year contract
Andre Davis..1 year
Don Davis...possibly long term

Fauria not sure about, he has been very valuable in Graham's and Watson's absence, however not sure what the price is, if reasonable let him retire here.

To answer my own question . . . I definitely want to see a lot of these guys back. But the ones I really want to see back are:

Randall Gay
Tom Ashworth
Troy Brown (if he wants to come back)
Tim Dwight (good things tend to happen when he's on the field**)
Doug Flutie (if he wants to come back)
David Givens (duh)
Stephen Neal
Adam Vinatieri (I will be really pissed if he doesn't retire as a Patriot)

**Case in point from the Bucs game: one pass, late in the game, not to Dwight at all; but as the intended receiver gets in position, you can see Dwight(ning) streak across the screen pulling the opposing D with him. Brilliant play--take the really good chance at 15-20 yards, instead of a smaller chance at 40 yards.

Exclusive Free Agents - offer the minimum

Tom Ashworth, OT - will probably take less if you give him 2/3 yr deal. He's a solid swing tackle.

David Givens, WR - depends on $$$$

Stephen Neal, G - sign 2/3 yr deal along with Ash and your line is set for 2/3 years. Then you need to start bringing youth.

Adam Vinatieri, PK - must sign.

All the rest can be tendered minimums but there are plenty of journeymen, draft picks, and players on practice squads that can fill in.

I think we need to focus on getting younger where we can. Lineman who are good can play into mid-30's, specialty positions and DB's need to be young (there are exceptions).

Chris said:
Are you serious about not wanting to re-sign Adam Vinatieri?

No
plus 10 characters for the Forum gods

Ref: Flutie

Pat Kirwan was on NFL Total Access last night prognosticating that a number of teams will be spending a few dollars ensuring they have a number two QB who can come in and carry the team. This is a result of the huge number of QBs who've had to play this season (see the Jets/Bears). With that demand, Flutie coming back to compete in Training Camp on a one year contract/minimum signing bonus deal is a good move until Cassel is brought up to Brady-lite standards. Flutie going through TC to wind up on the 'shadow roster' is also a consideration.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Ref: Flutie

Pat Kirwan was on NFL Total Access last night prognosticating that a number of teams will be spending a few dollars ensuring they have a number two QB who can come in and carry the team. This is a result of the huge number of QBs who've had to play this season (see the Jets/Bears). With that demand, Flutie coming back to compete in Training Camp on a one year contract/minimum signing bonus deal is a good move until Cassel is brought up to Brady-lite standards. Flutie going through TC to wind up on the 'shadow roster' is also a consideration.

I'd like the Pats to sign a younger former starter than Flutie. Perhaps Fiedler, Collins, or McNair if their teams are phasing them out. that's the biggest depth signing in FA, IMO.

Arizona Patsfan said:
I'd like the Pats to sign a younger former starter than Flutie. Perhaps Fiedler, Collins, or McNair if their teams are phasing them out. that's the biggest depth signing in FA, IMO.
They should sign another veteran to compete with Flutie, but bring him back to compete, I don't expect BB to play favorites, and if he gets cut there's always the 'shadow roster' concept - like Poteat/Mruczkowski this year, a couple guys who knew the system and wouldn't need the same reps to get them ready. However, the point from what Kirwan said - there is likely to be a bidding war for solid number 2s. Flutie is an insurance policy for Cassel, not Brady.

Sign Vinatieri AT ALL COSTS

Do you see some of these turds blowing games for teams out there?

How many kickers can you truly say are clutch right now?

5 maximum and we got not only one of em, but the BEST of them.

Read this online today. Might make it easier to sign Givens and Seymour
to long-term contracts. If 07 is uncapped. Givens and Sey will want to
wait until then. However, Givens is only a RFA if 07 uncapped. Does he
take a big signing bonus this year. Or wait, to see if there is a bigger
payday down the read. Interesting article about upcoming free agency
season by Wrong Borges.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2005/12/25/ fallout_would_be_no_bargain/

Last edited:
Randall Gay, CB - Keep
Gene Mruczkowski, C - Keep
Guss Scott, S - Keep
Billy Yates, G - Keep

Tom Ashworth, OT - Pay him the going rate for a swing tackle backup
Matt Chatham, LB - Vet min
Troy Brown, WR - Vet min
Andre Davis, WR - Same deal as Beisel. Two-year deal averaging $840,000 on the cap
Don Davis, LB - Vet min
Tim Dwight, WR - Same deal as Beisel. Two-year deal averaging $840,000 on the cap
Heath Evans, FB - Vet min
Christian Fauria, TE - Must not be resigned at all costs. My wife thinks that he is a Greek God.
Doug Flutie, QB - Vet min
David Givens, WR - Consider him as good as gone. He will do much better in free agency than he would with the Pats.
Antrell Hawkins, CB - Slightly better deal than Beisel's. Two year deal averaging $900,000 on the cap.
Stephen Neal, G - Suspect that he will give the Pats a hometown discount. 5-year deal averaging $2.5 million. That average is less than the average of the deals that Woody, Adam Timmerman, and Jeno James and a little bit more than Andruzzi's deal.
Hank Poteat, CB - Vet min.
Chad Scott, CB - Vet min
Michael Stone, S - Slightly better deal as Izzo. 4 year deal. $300,000 signing bonus. Average cap hit in the $700,000 area.
Ross Tucker, OL - Vet min
Adam Vinatieri, PK - Signed to a front-loaded long-term deal averaging $2 million. Is he worth the $3 million it would take to tag him??Akers' average per year is $2.293 million, Oakland's Sebastian Janikowski's average is $1.74 million, Rackers' average is $1.625 million and Wilkins' average is $1.569 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes