PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do the Pats select with the 23rd overall pick?

I am afraid Wirfs and Becton after incredible scouting combine are top 15 candidates. However if somehow they are available at 23rd I will take one of them in a heartbeat.

Now that we have DMac coming back, I think we can safely take Grant Delpit off the board.

Top needs are DL, OL, WR, and LB since both KVN and Collins are not coming back. Top LBs after Isaiah Simmons are Kenneth Murray, Patrick Queen, and Zack Baun.

Brady signs here, we trade down and trade for a tight end. There, I said it. Who knows what BB is going to do.

Funny you say that, I just have a feeling, when all is said and done, 15 years from now, we will be talking about Herbert as the best QB from the 2020 draft. He just has it all, a cannon arm, good touch on the ball when needed, smart, tough, a fiery leader. I like everything about him. He just seems like he has what it takes to be a VERY good NFL QB. Not sure he will be great, but it really depends on where he winds up, that sometimes has a HUGE impact on the final product.

Had a good senior bowl, solid combine but he scares me. Never took a snap in college under center. Play action is the bread and butter of good NFL offenses. Could he learn? Sure, but that’s not what I’d call an NFL ready QB. Played his entire career from shotgun and to me that is a big red flag unless your Warren Moon.

...Top needs are DL, OL, WR, and LB since both KVN and Collins are not coming back. Top LBs after Isaiah Simmons are Kenneth Murray, Patrick Queen, and Zack Baun.
TE?

I don't think any of the TEs in this draft is worth using #23 for. Maybe double-dip on the position later in the draft, or sign a FA TE like Ebron or Eifert if the team can clear cap space somehow.

If Thuney is not traded I think our OL looks good. We have many holes to fill with no doubt but LB and TE position seems to be the most urgent need.
If we keep 23rd pick I will skip TE because I simply cannot see any player worth such high choice. IMO I would take either LB or best player available.

I don't think any of the TEs in this draft is worth using #23 for. Maybe double-dip on the position later in the draft, or sign a FA TE like Ebron or Eifert if the team can clear cap space somehow.
I don't think that any TE is worthy of #23 either...but TE is still a top need, ahead of OL, WR, DL & Safety and right there with LB...If both Ken Murray & Xavier McKinney are available at 23, and if Bill doesn't trade out (which he will, IMO) then I now would take Murray ahead of McKinney.

Think OT/OL/LB at 23 , would take TE/DL next..........and then maybe a long shot ?.......deep threat for the new QB

I don't think that any TE is worthy of #23 either...but TE is still a top need, ahead of OL, WR, DL & Safety and right there with LB...If both Ken Murray & Xavier McKinney are available at 23, and if Bill doesn't trade out (which he will, IMO) then I now would take Murray ahead of McKinney.
Murray would be a great Van Noy replacement. 6’2” 240, great speed and passion. Can get after the QB if called upon.

Do you guys think Herbert will drop to #23? If so, would you draft Herbert with #23?

Espinoza at 23! He can play end in first and second down and move inside to pass rush on third down.

sets a strong edge, but can also get a lot of hits on qb’s.

Do you guys think Herbert will drop to #23? If so, would you draft Herbert with #23?
No, I don't think he's there

No, I don't really want him

But, it really only matters what BB wants (don't think he's there regardless)

No, I don't think he's there

No, I don't really want him

But, it really only matters what BB wants (don't think he's there regardless)
It seems very unlikely - but not altogether impossible - that Herbert will drop to #23...But if he happens to do so, then Yes I would take him there...Gotta take a gamble on greatness sometimes, especially at that position...

Last edited:
With the departure of Van Noy, Collins and Roberts, you’d have to think Kenneth Murray gets a serious look.

I would deliver the draft card myself, in a surgical mask and surgical gloves of course.

Had a good senior bowl, solid combine but he scares me. Never took a snap in college under center. Play action is the bread and butter of good NFL offenses. Could he learn? Sure, but that’s not what I’d call an NFL ready QB. Played his entire career from shotgun and to me that is a big red flag unless your Warren Moon.
If your coaching/staff can't teach a kid to take snaps from under center there's a problem imo. Also all these prospects practice that anyway. This is stuff we heard 10-20 years ago. Not a big deal imo.

Murray would be a great Van Noy replacement. 6’2” 240, great speed and passion. Can get after the QB if called upon.
With the departure of Van Noy, Collins and Roberts, you’d have to think Kenneth Murray gets a serious look.
From everything I've seen Murray is best suited at weakside early on. KVN took a minute to become the guy we saw playing on the los. Murray's hand usage, ability to take on blocks, block recognition and overall strength isn't best for the KVN role.

Keep him clean and let him fly around. Much better knifing, slashing then taking on blocks rn.

From everything I've seen Murray is best suited at weakside early on. KVN took a minute to become the guy we saw playing on the los. Murray's hand usage, ability to take on blocks, block recognition and overall strength isn't best for the KVN role.

Keep him clean and let him fly around. Much better knifing, slashing then taking on blocks rn.
If both Zach Baun & Ken Murray are available at 23, who ya got?

If both Zach Baun & Ken Murray are available at 23, who ya got?
For the KVN role? Definitely Baun but I love Murray. I think could great. Esp in today's game with so much motion. Teams trying to use every blade of grass. Him and Queen will be coveted imo.

Really like both but gun to head I'd leaning Murray.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back