PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Whining Vs. Winning

MainePatsFan26

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
The Patriots have limited talent this season, so I'm not upset about being 4-6 as much as sad this divorce between Tom and Bill came to pass.

Lots of people out there across the country wanted Brady to succeed while the Patriots struggled. And yes, the Bucs have been better in terms of wins and losses. But Tampa now is 7-4 and on pace for 11-5 (maybe 10-6 if they slip up). That's the same as the Patriots last season.

I guess the question is whether all the complaining and pouting by Tom over the roster was worth it. He's going to do roughly the same with a lesser coach. And if the Tampa house catches fire and they drop a few gimmes down the stretch, do we really think Brady won't self-destruct even worse than with the Pats last season in terms of checking out?

At least Bill is getting a rebuild going this year while keeping the team focused. Brady gets the glory with such a talented roster, but if the boneheaded plays continue against better teams (Saints, Rams) then how long until Brady turns on his new coach?

Brady is likely playing 1 more year. He’s not gonna want to relearn another system for next year. Brady will ride with Arians and that will be it.

I guess the question is whether all the Asian massage parlor visits which led to Kraft ****ing over the roster in an attempt to save the Patriot's image was worth it with a potentially historic defence that never got a chance to catch it's breath most of the season and the Pats missing the one win needed for HFA.
I made some edits.

I do wonder if some players don't opt out if Brady stays. But ultimately, Brady was pissed about personnel decisions and now he has his boy.

Brady is gone.

He'll be back for a red jacket in a few years.

The Pats will be at least bubble contenders again in 1-2 years.

It's all right.

I made some edits.

I do wonder if some players don't opt out if Brady stays. But ultimately, Brady was pissed about personnel decisions and now he has his boy.
The whole situation is a morality tale competition. On one side, an entitled owner who had a message therapist lend a hand. On the other, an entitled and unstable receiver who likely laid a hand on his wife and potentially kids before getting in altercations with police.

I don't envy anyone having to pick between those two options.

One appreciates winning the most, when they have experienced losing.

I made some edits.

Not that it matters but they didn't miss HFA by one game but by three. The Ravens were two ahead and had a tiebreaker. We missed the BYE via the #2 seed when we lost to the Dolphins.

The Patriots have limited talent this season, so I'm not upset about being 4-6 as much as sad this divorce between Tom and Bill came to pass.

Lots of people out there across the country wanted Brady to succeed while the Patriots struggled. And yes, the Bucs have been better in terms of wins and losses. But Tampa now is 7-4 and on pace for 11-5 (maybe 10-6 if they slip up). That's the same as the Patriots last season.

I guess the question is whether all the complaining and pouting by Tom over the roster was worth it. He's going to do roughly the same with a lesser coach. And if the Tampa house catches fire and they drop a few gimmes down the stretch, do we really think Brady won't self-destruct even worse than with the Pats last season in terms of checking out?

At least Bill is getting a rebuild going this year while keeping the team focused. Brady gets the glory with such a talented roster, but if the boneheaded plays continue against better teams (Saints, Rams) then how long until Brady turns on his new coach?

Personally, I think Brady leaving was a win/win for both sides.

If Brady had stayed we would have had to dismantle our defense even further letting go of another 1-2 vets. The only upgrades on offense would have been cheap FAs off the crap pile and maybe some kind of trade. We wouldn't have been any more a competitive team than we are now. Only Brady would have continued to be unhappy finishing his career on a downward slope, and at the same time it would have handcuffed any attempt to start rebuilding a team because you were still in win-win-win mode with Brady at the helm.

Him leaving to a place where the talent would give him another 2 shots at a title was the best situation for him and took the team in terms of roster management off the hook.

The difference is bringing in good players to NE and having Brady play in his system vs Brady going to a new franchise and adapting to a differing offensive direction.

AB made a huge impact in NE last season in just 1 game. Gronk leaving left a huge hole.

Personally, I think Brady leaving was a win/win for both sides.

If Brady had stayed we would have had to dismantle our defense even further letting go of another 1-2 vets. The only upgrades on offense would have been cheap FAs off the crap pile and maybe some kind of trade. We wouldn't have been any more a competitive team than we are now. Only Brady would have continued to be unhappy finishing his career on a downward slope, and at the same time it would have handcuffed any attempt to start rebuilding a team because you were still in win-win-win mode with Brady at the helm.

Him leaving to a place where the talent would give him another 2 shots at a title was the best situation for him and took the team in terms of roster management off the hook.

Generally agree, but wow does he look unhappy these days. He doesn't interact or show passion at all anymore. And he looks old for his age.

Generally agree, but wow does he look unhappy these days. He doesn't interact or show passion at all anymore. And he looks old for his age.
Barring Brady winning another Super Bowl, I'm not sure how he can be happy in Tampa Bay. He's left the home and city he loved (and loved him) for a team associated primarily with losing. He left the best coach in the business for a below average to average staff. He left the team he won six Super Bowls because he was mad at going 11-5 a season removed from a championship.

Sure, he has more weapons this season and both Brady and Belichick (theoretically) benefit from the separation as noted by another poster. But it's got to sting for Brady, regardless of the "logic," to leave such a legacy and the GOAT coach behind for Tampa.

Brady over the last three games: 5TD/5INT

2 of those TD were entirely due to exceptional efforts by Evans and Godwin. 4.5 yds per completion last night. 4.5! Check-down Eli is gone but here comes Check-down Tommy. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Despite all of those WEAPONS.

Brady over the last three games: 5TD/5INT

2 of those TD were entirely due to exceptional efforts by Evans and Godwin. 4.5 yds per completion last night. 4.5! Check-down Eli is gone but here comes Check-down Tommy. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Despite all of those WEAPONS.
4.5 per attempt not per completion
Everyone ages and with age comes decline. We saw it clearly in the second half of last year. Brady can still throw the ball and is still the smartest guy to ever play the position but physically and mentally (in terms of processing speed) there is deterioration just like every single other human who has lived. It won’t get better.

Why do people automatically think we will be contenders in a year or two? Why are people saying "when we find a quarterback" like it is some easy thing to do? There are teams that go decades burning pick after pick on QB's and never find the guy. Even if we end up getting Fields or Wilson somehow who's to say that they pan out. This isn't meant to be doom and gloom but I think people are being naive thinking we will be legitimate contenders in the next year or two without a lot of things going right.

Why do people automatically think we will be contenders in a year or two? Why are people saying "when we find a quarterback" like it is some easy thing to do? There are teams that go decades burning pick after pick on QB's and never find the guy. Even if we end up getting Fields or Wilson somehow who's to say that they pan out. This isn't meant to be doom and gloom but I think people are being naive thinking we will be legitimate contenders in the next year or two without a lot of things going right.
Things we know or think we know...

1) This current roster is JAG central with massive holes all over
2) Many of the non JAG portion of the roster are either sitting this year out and/or finishing their current contracts.....with several of this aging group likely considering retirement
3) The team's lack of foundation pieces is at a crisis level
4) The team's best defender will likely force a trade in the off season
5) No viable future QB currently on the roster
6) Bill the frugal economist is unlikely to overpay to secure a decent free agent QB given the warts unwanted free agent QBs typically possess
7) Any newly drafted QB will ride the pine for 1 year minimum
8) NE does not possess enough premium draft picks to quickly bolster the anemic roster
9) The future cap, while encouraging, only allows the team to shop for other team's discards
etc
etc
etc

This isn't 2000 with a roster littered with quality players who in time proved to be foundation pieces.
I am hopeful for a 3 year rebuild, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it. Every misfire at QB will delay the process by a couple of years.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now if Jimmy G pops free............and stays healthy (LMFAO).....then.............

Brady is gone.

He'll be back for a red jacket in a few years.

The Pats will be at least bubble contenders again in 1-2 years.

It's all right.
If it's all right then why is it that so many fans, like the OP, need to pick sides?

I'm as big a Brady fan as there is, and I wish he had stayed and finished his career here, but it doesn't mean that I'm not pulling for the Pats, just like I have for 60 years.

Things we know or think we know...

1) This current roster is JAG central with massive holes all over
2) Many of the non JAG portion of the roster are either sitting this year out and/or finishing their current contracts.....with several of this aging group likely considering retirement
3) The team's lack of foundation pieces is at a crisis level
4) The team's best defender will likely force a trade in the off season
5) No viable future QB currently on the roster
6) Bill the frugal economist is unlikely to overpay to secure a decent free agent QB given the warts unwanted free agent QBs typically possess
7) Any newly drafted QB will ride the pine for 1 year minimum
8) NE does not possess enough premium draft picks to quickly bolster the anemic roster
9) The future cap, while encouraging, only allows the team to shop for other team's discards
etc
etc
etc

This isn't 2000 with a roster littered with quality players who in time proved to be foundation pieces.
I am hopeful for a 3 year rebuild, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it. Every misfire at QB will delay the process by a couple of years.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now if Jimmy G pops free............and stays healthy (LMFAO).....then.............
I agree with most of your post. Outside of maybe offensive line I don’t think there is a single position group on this roster that doesn't need a significant upgrade. The rookies are starting to get some snaps (other than the TE's) so we will see what we have there and hopefully have some idea about them for next year. As for last year's class, Harris and Wino can be some solid pieces to build around but the rest are lost causes or role players at best. The few drafts prior to 2019 have been abysmal outside of a couple good guards and an average to above average tackle. Some of the veterans I am assuming will either be cut or retire (Both McCourty's, Edelman, Cannon) or be asked to take a pay cut (Hightower, Gilmore) and cut or traded if they won't.

That would free up more cap room but with not much to build around I don't know how much better we would be without hitting the lottery on a young QB. Moral of the story is until we find a young QB on a rookie deal we won't really be able to start to rebuild towards anything meaningful.

If it's all right then why is it that so many fans, like the OP, need to pick sides?

I'm as big a Brady fan as there is, and I wish he had stayed and finished his career here, but it doesn't mean that I'm not pulling for the Pats, just like I have for 60 years.

Because kids/young adults today never learned that life is grey and full of nuance. Everything is an extreme to a lot of people today. Polarization is necessary in order to have clearly and cleanly divided lines so that one can make a decision and not have to do the mental exercise of taking in new, contrasting information and possibly changing their mind.

Because kids/young adults today never learned that life is grey and full of nuance. Everything is an extreme to a lot of people today. Polarization is necessary in order to have clearly and cleanly divided lines so that one can make a decision and not have to do the mental exercise of taking in new, contrasting information and possibly changing their mind.
It really is a problem as a whole with a lot of younger people. I assume I am younger than a lot of people on this forum but it always irks me to see the 20 somethings and their "this or that" attitude towards absolutely everything. Their insistence that one side (theirs) is right so the other side is 100% unequivocally wrong. What makes it even worse is they just shout buzzwords and nonsensical new age psychobabble at anyone who dares express an opinion they disagree with. Look at JK Rowling for example. She dared to support a woman who basically said men are men and women are women and the woke group thinkers fired up the outrage machine and have been trying to "cancel" her. People need to stop looking to demonize the other side 95% of the time and realize that other people are allowed to think differently.

It really is a problem as a whole with a lot of younger people. I assume I am younger than a lot of people on this forum but it always irks me to see the 20 somethings and their "this or that" attitude towards absolutely everything. Their insistence that one side (theirs) is right so the other side is 100% unequivocally wrong. What makes it even worse is they just shout buzzwords and nonsensical new age psychobabble at anyone who dares express an opinion they disagree with. Look at JK Rowling for example. She dared to support a woman who basically said men are men and women are women and the woke group thinkers fired up the outrage machine and have been trying to "cancel" her. People need to stop looking to demonize the other side 95% of the time and realize that other people are allowed to think differently.
From your keyboard to God's eyes. I wish I could say I'm optimistic that this yammering world will come to see matters your way.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back