PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where does Ryan Claridge fit in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feep_FLA

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
The mystery man in the Patriots LB corps is Claridge..... I don't know much at all about him except he's listed as a 3-4 scheme LB...... If he's healthy where does he fit in in the Patriots scheme and how would that effect the draft in the Patriots eyes? I.E. Is he an "inside" LB and if healthy and can go does that change our strategy? If I recall he is considered an "inside" LB..... But he's been MIA since training camp last camp..... What's the story on this guy?

I don't think anyone here can answer those questions :(

He was thought of as primarily an OLB in college but has the versatility to play inside, played in a 3-4, etc. He fits the profile of being competitive this year. But with him not being around much and who knows how his brother's death will affect him, he's a total mystery right now to me.

Thanks B-Fan, I stand corrected on his being an "inside" LB.... Wonder where I got that impression..... That was bad news about his brother I hope he gets threw it OK and can go on with life OK.........

I think that right now his best fit is in the weight room. Hopefully, he'll add some playing strength and get a good look at ILB in TC.

He was listed at 6'2", 254 coming out last year which is perfect size for an ILB for us even though he was considered an OLB propect.

we dont know anything about this guy when we think about it

Ryan got hurt (shoulder) in TC. I don't think he ever made it to the field for even a Preseason game.
On the post draft pressconference IIRC BB had a coment to the effect that Ryan had played the OLB in college but he projected more as an ILB in our scheme.
Hopefully he spend all last year watching film, reading the playbook and picking Tedy's brain on how to play ILB in our system. Otherwise it's just a lost year and the guy is at least one more year away from contributing significantly.

Huge question mark, but fwiw after pre-draft reading last year I pictured him as a Phifer-type ILB.

I do remember that BB mentioned when he was drafted he could play any of the 4 LB positions....I remember he was pleased with that versatility...don't know how the offseason has changed him physically or if they were slotting him for in or out as a LB..OR most importnat, how he has adjusted to the tough situation with his brother's death. VERY hard. He had looked like a solid pick..and still may be.

In TC last year he was playing inside backer, before he went to IR. He projects to play a very Ted Johnson type of role for us.

The promising thing is the departing comments from Chad Brown, who was asked some open-ended question about the team, and responded with (to paraphrase) watch out for that kid... he's going to surprise people.

The book on him coming out of college was that he was a film rat and driven by the love of the game. Regardless of what happens in his playing career, I see a future for him as a coach under Belichick. Of course, as the eternal optimist, I see him competing with Beisel for the starting ILB spot this offseason.

Last edited:
rookBoston said:
In TC last year he was playing inside backer, before he went to IR. He projects to play a very Ted Johnson type of role for us.

The promising thing is the departing comments from Chad Brown, who was asked some open-ended question about the team, and responded with (to paraphrase) watch out for that kid... he's going to surprise people.

The book on him coming out of college was that he was a film rat and driven by the love of the game. Regardless of what happens in his playing career, I see a future for him as a coach under Belichick. Of course, as the eternal optimist, I see him competing with Beisel for the starting ILB spot this offseason.
What I don't understadn is why he wasn't around all year. Don't players on IR get to attend team meetings? SHouldn't he have stayed in Foxboro and learned something and rehabbed?

spacecrime said:
What I don't understadn is why he wasn't around all year. Don't players on IR get to attend team meetings? SHouldn't he have stayed in Foxboro and learned something and rehabbed?
What makes you think he wasn't?

spacecrime said:

It was reported by someone that he rehabbed in Nevada where he went to school. (Did he come out early?) But, he did commute back and forth for the training staff to check him out.

Pats726 said:
I do remember that BB mentioned when he was drafted he could play any of the 4 LB positions....I remember he was pleased with that versatility...don't know how the offseason has changed him physically or if they were slotting him for in or out as a LB..OR most importnat, how he has adjusted to the tough situation with his brother's death. VERY hard. He had looked like a solid pick..and still may be.

Stupid me, I had his LB partner, Adam Seward, as the Pats' 5th last year. Right team, at least. :eek:

Last fall I was on a plane from Las Vegas to RI, sat next to his cousin who lives with him. What she essentially said was he is rehabbing from his surgery, and is a workout warrior. What I did not know is that even though he is doing what he should be doing in Las Vegas, the Pats fly him in to assess his progress. She felt he would be ready for this season..of course she is biased.

Claridge will be a force this year

IIRC Ted Johnson said at the end of a recent segment on the departure of Wille McGinest to watch out for Claridge this year. Remains to be seen ... he will be one of the players to watch come training camp time. He got what amounts to a red-shirt year last season. Let's see if he put it to good use.

If Claridge is a film rat, why didn't he spend the fall in Foxboro?

With Claridge as essentially one more rookie this year, we have all the more reason to trade quantity draft picks for quality next week.

All reports had him anywhere but in Foxborough. It worries me that he was not rehabbing with the rest of the medical ward.

But I will hold all judgements until TC.

Claridge should be considered as one of this year's rookies.

None of us know who much he was working out or watching film. My gut feeling isn't good about him but I really have no clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes