PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When the Game was tied at 14, why did Belicheck decide to kick a FG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said that a defense has LESS CONFIDENCE when they give up TD's but when they force a offense to kick FG's, they feel Good about what they have done mainly because 7 is more than 3

So if the final score was 17-14, they'd feel good?

That's quite bizarre. If they stopped us on 4th down they'd feel a lot better.

So if the final score was 17-14, they'd feel good?

That's quite bizarre. If they stopped us on 4th down they'd feel a lot better.

Why is that if the Pats are supposed to be the TOUCHDOWN MACHINE? So if a Defense holds the Pats to a FG they feel that they have done something GREAT. That's why I waas so pissed last night seeing that FG go through the uprights

Going for the FG was fine, I just don' want him to make himself look stupid and go for it on 4th down when his team is winning by 30 again in one of the upcoming games. See by BB going for it when he was blowing teams out, a lot of people expected him to do the same thing when the game was tied. So it was nothing wrong with kicking the FG, he just gave me the impression last week at his press conference that he had no interest in ever KICKING FG'S unless it was a extra point.

Dude, you should stop posting, or at least on this thread because you are killing any credibility you might have as someone who watches and actually may know something about football. I, and I'm sure many others are feeling that you may be a troll, if you are not then stop typing and step away from the keyboard. go to bed and come back when you actually know what your talking about and can contribute positively on this board. thanks.

Why is that if the Pats are supposed to be the TOUCHDOWN MACHINE? So if a Defense holds the Pats to a FG they feel that they have done something GREAT. That's why I waas so pissed last night seeing that FG go through the uprights

Probably because of all the TDs they've scored.

I don't know how you think I'm a Eagles fan when I'm asking why the Pats were not more agressive on 4th down. I always hated the Eagles and wanted them to lose 68-0 which is why that game was so frustrating to me, especially since Mcnabb was out

Well don't be an outright coward SA...tell us which team you ARE a fan of. Because you are certainly NOT a Patriots fan. And don't answer with some slick response like "How can you say I'm not a Patriots fan?"

Straight out, plain & simple with no BS...which team are you a fan of?

My money says SportsAnalyzer stops his comments right here...unless you're Mgteich!! :D...nah, mods can't use multiple ID's, so it can't be mgteich.

Last edited:

In the NBA, if you go on a fast break, you don't pull up and shoot a three (unless you're Jason Williams circa 1998 on the Sacramento Kings) when you have the layup/dunk for the higher percentage conversion.

The field goal is hands down the highest percentage method of getting points considering where they were on the field/the score of the game/the coverage on our best receiver/the pressure on brady/and how many or most teams would act in that situation from the college level up*

*because field goal kickers generally suck in high school, but they might even do that if they have a viable kicker.

Well don't be an outright coward SA...tell us which team you ARE a fan of. Because you are certainly NOT a Patriots fan. And don't answer with some slick response like "How can you say I'm not a Patriots fan?"

My money says SportsAnalyzer stops his comments right here...unless you're Mgteich!! :D...nah, mods can't use multiple ID's, so it can't be mgteich.

Well let's see, he lives in Philly and he signed up for this site when the Eagles played the Pats.

My guess is he's an Eagles troll who tries to pretend he "doesn't have a favorite team" or some BS like that.

*shakes head* wow. just wow

Why is that if the Pats are supposed to be the TOUCHDOWN MACHINE?
The Pats, above and beyond all, are supposed to be a WINNING MACHINE, and that's what they were last night.

Belichick makes the choice at all times that he thinks gives the team the best chance to win. Kicking in a 14-14 game was the right call.

In a 35 point game with 10 minutes left the chance of winning seems virtually assured. But until you can kneel on the ball, as long as there's an onside kick and a hail mary, nothing is for certain. Even if we're talking about percentages of less than one percent, getting stopped and giving your team horrible field position and a full field is the better play there than the 3 points, so that's what he does. It's entirely consistent.

You note that when blowing out Buffalo and facing a 4th down on their 30, he punted. No field goal. No going for it. Again, the best chance to win.

I already stated i'm a fan of the sport itself and don't have a team. But I do hate the eagles and want to see them lose every game they play.

I already stated i'm a fan of the sport itself and don't have a team. But I do hate the eagles and want to see them lose every game they play.
Then you should be happy, because they did. An L is an L, whether by 3 points or 30.

Then you should be happy, because they did. An L is an L, whether by 3 points or 30.

I understand that, but I just feel that they will feel confident now since they were close to beating the 10-0 pats and that was something I didn;t want to happen. I really wanted the Pats to cover the spread so to me it feels like a loss

I want to make steaming hot monkey love to this thread.

The main source of their confidence is from the quarterback. That whole city and many others feel as though McNabb is useless and detrimental to them. Now in one plus games without him this season, it appears to many theyre playing better without him. That is the source of the confidence.

Hey, the 10 year old boy in me (no homo) wants the Pats to score a million bazillion points to. But a win's a win and a loss is a loss. If you feel like it's still a loss because they didn't cover some arbitrary spread, then I can't help but feel pity that you've become so desensitized to what's a win and what's a loss.

No disrespect intended, but this post is ignorant.

Let's see, so there's no difference in putting "automatic" points on the board to take the lead in a game, as there is in putting "automatic" points on the board in a blowout?

So I guess if the Patriots have a 6 point lead, they should go for it on 4th down, rather than making it a 9 point (two score) lead?

These are not new concepts.

How come, my whole life, it was against protocol to kick automatic FGs with a huge lead. Give the other team a chance to stop you, it was said. Don't kick FGs. Now BB follows this very old protocol, and he's running up the score?????? I guess this changed this year. What a farse.

Yes, a coach should make exactly the same strategic decisions whether up by 35 in the 4th or tied in the 2nd.

I know you're being sarcastic in the face of this troll - of course one wouldn't make the same strategic call.

BB made the right call to put the sure points on the board.

Taking the sure points of a FG apparently is the preferred choice of many trolls in the 4th quarter as well rather than the possibility of NO points if their own defense could step up for a change.

Aside from that I'll make no apologies on behalf of my team for putting the game completely away and removing all hope of a comeback be it in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th quarter.

The NFL itself even encourages "piling on" making points scored a tie breaker. Until they remove this incentive the Pats and every other team should continue to score as many points as they can, and defenses should try to stop them.

Unless I missed something in Football 101 that's the point of the game.

I understand that, but I just feel that they will feel confident now since they were close to beating the 10-0 pats and that was something I didn;t want to happen. I really wanted the Pats to cover the spread so to me it feels like a loss
You'll just have to adjust your expectations, because some games will be close. Hell, even if they'd gone for it on 4th and gotten it, they still wouldn't have come close to covering the spread. In any case, it's obvious that your stated complaints aren't genuine, you're just busting their balls for going for it in all those blowouts. Tough sh!t.

Well the Eagles went for it on 4th down so That's why I was surprised they didn't do the same

In keeping with that rationalization, we should have kicked an on-side kick after we scored.

I really wanted the Pats to cover the spread so to me it feels like a loss

Ahhh....so at least the truth comes out. You lost money on the game and that's why you're complaining that BB went for a FG instead of trying to get a 1st down and possibly a TD. Not that the extra 4 points would have made a difference anyway.

So, if the Pats had won by 3 TD's (which still would have not covered the spread), you'd still feel like they lost?

What happens if a point spread hits 30 and they win by 28....will that feel like a loss too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down