PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He bites too hard on moves early in a route. Why he's doing that, I don't know. Too anxious to make the big play jumping a route perhaps? I'd like to know what other teams' book is on him.

I don't think he had that bad of a year. He's competitive even when he gives up catches. He plays hard, and forces fumbles and incompletions even if he's initially beat. Did we expect better? Yeah. Is he terrible? No.
He definitely didn't. Was he inconsistent? Yes, definitely. But he still came up big and caused a lot of turnovers this season. In fact, he's usually trying to rip or bunch the ball out. He has also excelled (as usual) in coming up to play the run. They also used him a lot more on corner blitzes this season. I'll take that.

Just not having the kind of year I expected. Is it psychological ? Is he not getting the help with some WR's he used to? Anytime someone caught the ball Saturday I was looking for 21 trailing the play, ok sometimes it was Rowe . Can he turn it around for next games?

What about his free agency worth now, has to be down . Man the saints lucked out with Lattimore . Don't remember were we hoping for their 11th pick ?

What's Wrong With Malcolm Butler This Season?

Was trying to find CB ratings , couldn't...

I thought Bademosi outplayed Butler when he had to play. Which is pretty damning for Butler.

If I wasn't so busy getting paid and getting laid I'd go back and watch every game noting when I thought he was truly beat and when it was more a matter of a perfect throw and catch.

Because Malcolm seems to get victimized by some pretty great plays half of the time and it's tough to fault him for that if he's in position.

First TD was a hell of a catch. Last TD was garbage time.

Butler has been getting beaten more on cuts of various types this year, which seems like a focus and/or film study issue, but I didn't see him as having a terrible game on Saturday.

He gets beat by quick cuts and go routes with really fast receivers. Just like every other OK CB in the league. He is not amazing; he is not awful. And he is forever a hero because of what he did in SB 49.

I agree with those implying he's been ok this year. Not terrible but not great. He's a scrappy player that I love to root for and who has cost himself a lot of dough this year by not playing lights out.

I thought Bademosi outplayed Butler when he had to play. Which is pretty damning for Butler.
Also thought Bademossi did well, since then though he hasn't been activated many games....strange to me . Just remembered, J Jones got hurt with Titans...anyone know if he is ok?

Like I’ve been saying all year. I LOVE Butler, but Gilmore is simply a better corner. Fact. That said, let’s just win next Sunday.

Since we’re talking CBs, bade modi was inactive this game out of blue field

Anyone think it’s naybe connected to his flop?

Let me remind you lot again. Hobbs, o’Neal, Wilhite, Wheatley.

Now Butler, Gilmore, Jones, Rowe.

Butler gets exposed on taller receivers ... but I love the guy - he maximizes what he has and he's a great tackler.

Just not having the kind of year I expected. Is it psychological ? Is he not getting the help with some WR's he used to? Anytime someone caught the ball Saturday I was looking for 21 trailing the play, ok sometimes it was Rowe . Can he turn it around for next games?

What about his free agency worth now, has to be down . Man the saints lucked out with Lattimore . Don't remember were we hoping for their 11th pick ?

What's Wrong With Malcolm Butler This Season?

Was trying to find CB ratings , couldn't...
Not sure what you expect and why you could see anything bad Saturday. Outside of one drive, and the garbage time drive against backups Tennessee had something like 40 plays for 65 yards.

Butler is what he is. He’s a good corner but gets beat just like almost all of them.

I wonder what this Defense would be like without the Durable Malcolm Butler??:confused: Rowe is made of glass and Gilmore had to go through a steep learning curve. Butler - McCourty and Chung were staples in the Backfield.

He gets beat by quick cuts and go routes with really fast receivers. Just like every other OK CB in the league. He is not amazing; he is not awful. And he is forever a hero because of what he did in SB 49.

It hasn't just been "really fast receivers". His play is what you'd expect of a player who was pressing to make big plays (i.e. ints) in a contract year, rather than focusing on just preventing the catch. His play has regressed from last season to this one.

I agree with much of the opinions on here. That said, Malcolm doesn’t need to be guarding an all time great in this postseason. Though some no name will no doubt make us scream in disgust, there are no WRs left that are really scary. Maybe the Vikings WRs ? Nothing compared to Julio Jones last February...

remember the good ole days when people wanted to cut gilmore to send a message to the team. Now Butler gives up one heavily contested td in the playoffs and we're dealing with "whats wrong with this scrub, that guy who isnt even active is better then him"

He's clearly not playing THAT badly if the patriots are FIRST in points allowed.

Aside from a garbage time TD the defense only gave up 7 points to the titans, Lets chill with the "whats wrong with *insert player name here* until the team actually gives us something to complain about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots