PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What will happen with Seymour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

On the Roster
Reaction score
This was a big topic last offseason as well, with much speculation regarding his future with the Pats. If they cannot re-sign him, do you go ahead and trade him now rather than keep him for one last year and lose him as a UFA next offseason? So it seems there are 2 issues to address...

(1) It doesn't sound as if there will be a hometown discount. Will/Should they shell out top dollar to keep him in New England?

(2) What is his trade value? Anyone who doubted his value in the past has to look at the turnaround in run defense as soon as he returned from injury. Not only is he great, but he makes everyone around him better, too. What is he worth? To me, unless we are talking about a top 5 pick, he is worth multiple picks. But the extra pick would depend heavily on where the trading partner would be drafting in the 1st round this year... so where would you peg his trade value IF YOU AGREE with my assertion and:

Pick #1=
2006 #5-10 overall?
2006 #11-20 overall?
2006 #21-32 overall?

***As an aside, what are thoughts on Marquise Hill's development and ability to enter the rotation on a more consistent basis next year?

Last edited:
28222 said:
This was a big topic last offseason as well, with much speculation regarding his future with the Pats. If they cannot re-sign him, do you go ahead and trade him now rather than keep him for one last year and lose him as a UFA next offseason? So it seems there are 2 issues to address...

(1) It doesn't sound as if there will be a hometown discount. Will/Should they shell out top dollar to keep him in New England?

(2) What is his trade value? Anyone who doubted his value in the past has to look at the turnaround in run defense as soon as he returned from injury. Not only is he great, but he makes everyone around him better, too. What is he worth? To me, unless we are talking about a top 5 pick, he is worth multiple picks. But the extra pick would depend heavily on where the trading partner would be drafting in the 1st round this year... so where would you peg his trade value IF YOU AGREE with my assertion and:

Pick #1 Pick #2 (2006 or future)

2006 #5-10 overall ?
2006 #11-20 overall ?
2006 #21-32 overall ?

***As an aside, what are thoughts on Marquise Hill's development and ability to enter the rotation on a more consistent basis next year?

Sign him at all cost. This guy is the BEST DL in the game and is only getting better. We are in good cap shape for next year, so we should lock him up longterm.
As far a MH goes I asked Mike Reiss that very question and he feels they might be a little disapointed of his progress so far. However they knew he was raw and should develop in time. I think he might be better suited as a DT. Seems to lack the burst to be a effictive DE.

Brady was quoted saying something like...
Cashing in checks doesn't make make me happy, winning super bowls and being around these guys does.

I think as long as we give Seymour a fair deal he will stick around. Pay him an agreeable sum so that he can remain here and continue his legacy to become one of the best DL of all time. Which he will be able to do with his leadership and rings.

He is only what 26? I think he is a mainstay of this defense and must be kept around at the right price. And him being a BB guy, Im sure he feels like Brady about winning>money, as long as it's fair.

I'd rather go down in history as one of the best DL to ever strap on pads and contend and win superbowls year after year. One of the best DL of all time on the best NFL franchise of all time (in the salary cap era). That would would be my legacy.

Try to re-sign Sey and draft for his leaving, we can make room for another monster DL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes