SOURCE:NESN

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Cowboys
Sun
Nov 24th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Hard Fought Win
After a slow start, the Patriots defense shut down Philadelphia as New England improved to 9-1 on the season.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

What was the issue?

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by vuudu, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +528
    This forum has been crumbling consistently in big games (kind of like the Falcons). Its usually not for the entire game like today but there are times where the forums been down for a good quater. Maybe its for the better because there was certainly a period of time where I probably wouldn't have wanted to read what was going on here.

2. crew1954

crew1954 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +30
    Wait until Peyton comes there in search of a dome and a ready made playoff caliber team.

3. ALP

ALP Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +3,072
    i was on this site hitting F5 SO many times, you dont even know to see if it was back up.....

mostly i wanted to comment on the holding calls by Houston's O line, some of those were absolutely FLAGRANT and NONE were called

amazing

(in due respect there was ONE on us that went uncalled, and it was not flagrant)

4. Joey007

Joey007 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +17,713
    Still pretty quiet here, I wonder if it's because users don't know the website's back up or many went crazy because they could access PatsFans??

Ehh, probably the latter. :rolleyes:

5. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Ratings:
    +8,509
    My daughter had an indoor track meet today that they scheduled for 6:00pm, so I had to bring her down at 5pm and then follow the bus over to the meet and just got back in a little while ago. My wife came down with the same flu that I had only she had it worse - so I had to step in and help out because she's been in bed all weekend.

I left a little before 5pm and I had requested to have the board monitored during that time but it seems that didn't happen because I guess I put the request in too late. So not only did I miss the game, I also found out the site was down for the duration of it :mad:

Needless to say I apologize to everyone in here because from what I've seen/heard so far it was quite a game. As I said I just got back, and I'll have an update in a bit once I figure out what the issue was.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  6. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53,009
    Don't apologize for having a life, good sir. And you can be sure that somehow, some way, Jets suckage is behind the trouble.

7. VinnyPatrollie

VinnyPatrollie On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +6
    Downtime during a huge playoff game is almost....dare I say it?.....JI-esque!!!:eek:

8. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17,648
    Ian, see this is what you get for being a good dad and husband. You miss the game and have hundred of faceless Internet users mad at you.

You really need to work on being a deadbeat dad and horrible husband so my needs are taken care of.

9. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,609
    You have nothing to apologize for. We're almost as spoiled by your commitment to keeping the board running smoothly as we are by the consistency of the Pats' perennial playoff runs. We tend to take both for granted, though we shouldn't.

10. vuudu

vuudu Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +4,168
    Ok Ian. Once you get all your data, kindly let us know what our max bw is here.
    What are some of the options we have? At least if we can do something for the playoffs season it will be nice.

11. ausbacker

ausbacker TB12 PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9,356
    If the forum going down during game day is what I imagine being an addict is like then I feel a new sense of empathy with those tortured souls.

12. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +4,899
    very impressive that you do what it takes to keep this board up and running AND still keep your priorities straight. Thanks Ian!

13. gtfanboy

gtfanboy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +269
    Yep..............+1

14. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +5,378
    I don't know anything about servers, etc. but the only thing I can offer is whatever server ExtremeSkins uses is probably pretty good. They have gamethreads that are over 100 pages in the first quarter and thousands and thousands of members on at any time and their server never crashes that I have seen.

15. Ian

Ratings:
    +8,509
    It came back up and I saw the timestamp and I couldn't believe it. I expected an issue potentially after the game was over, but not five minutes after I left here.

We've had 3 outages this season. On one we were down about 10-minutes, and about 25 on the second because I couldn't correct it from where I was and had to wait for a datacenter reboot. This last one was the longest since I wasn't here.

Last season we had the same number, but two were quick blips with the only real long one being just after the Super Bowl loss. During the second one this year I had a hardware evaluation done based on the load that caused the main server to freeze and we determined that the dual hard drives we have need to be upgraded and replaced to increase the speed of the I/O requests. The cost was considerable compared to what I currently spend (it would be an additional $700+ per year - as I said, it's pretty expensive) and considering how well that things have gone since the switch, I was trying to get through the season without having to do it since during the offseason there's never an issue. Not to mention another big reason being that it would require a lot of downtime (as in hours) to take out the drives and transfer the data before re-installing the new ones.

Needless to say I'll have a discussion with them this week to see what I can come up with to prevent it from happening again. But I'm extremely sorry to everyone affected. Normally I'm here to keep an eye on things and stop it before it occurs - and obviously tonight was a big letdown :(

16. Danger Zone

Danger Zone In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5,936
    If you find out it was a DOS attack from some Jets-fan hackers and need some scary muscle to put a beat down on em.. let me know.

.. though by "scary muscle" I really mean "someone to make snarkily-witty Mercutio-like commentary about our New Jersian foes from behind the scary muscle"...

Either way...count me in! At the very least Ill bring the beer and baseball bats.. :)

17. Big-T

Big-T Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +4,991
    That was my first thought when the site wouldn't load, is it being DDOS'd.

It hasn't been down like that since the days of "live thread" was used.

Although like it has been posted earlier - at some points in the game it was a blessing in disguise this place was down!

18. Ian

Ratings:
    +8,509
    That's the Redskins official forum so I'm sure their hardware is great. Daniel Snyder has big pockets :)

19. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,918
    Ian, please stop apologizing. Thanks for all you do. Any chance we can help out with more than the Membership Fees?

20. Ian

Ratings:
    +8,509
    Everyone hitting F5 on the game thread is similar, which is why I shut the "Live thread" down because it basically compounded the problem. I was online with the hosting company during a peak load before I changed configurations and we found when I disabled that plugin the load dropped 3x. There are safeguards in place to prevent it but if you're not there during a peak time when the load is really unbalanced, it's tough to catch it before you get locked out of the panel and then need to reboot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.