PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What the heck happened to the Jaguars???

SammyBlueCat

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Looked formidable against our team in the early season heat.

Then those cats fell apart...

(NOTE: I am not affiliated with that franchise)

Told you guys they wouldn’t be in the playoffs (though I missed badly on the Rams).

I said this last year: never underestimate how psyched teams are to play, and hopefully beat, the Patriots.

We've played well against the most hyped competition we've faced. We're the most hyped competition of literally every single team in the NFL. How many outrageous, one handed catches have been made against us this season?

Malik Jackson on Jaguars in 2018: 'I'm callin' it, 16-0'

251sQxt.png

Fournette has been hurt, and then he got himself thrown out of a tie game in the third quarter. He got into a fight well after the play (which he was not a part of) was over.

Same thing as happened to the Pats, except without the GOAT QB and coach. Their talent level eroded and their key players are declining, old or injured.

That team is built to win with running game and defense which protects their mediocre at best (usually worse than that) QB and awful WR group. Their D was unusually healthy last year and they relied heavily on an aging Campbell and overachieved in a few positions. All of that has trended backwards, as expected, with no correlating increase on offense.

What the heck happened to the Jaguars???

Looked formidable against our team in the early season heat.

Then those cats fell apart...

(NOTE: I am not affiliated with that franchise)

Some armchair GM thoughts (lifted off the interwebz):

1. Complacency
The Jags read the press clippings in the off season that they were ready to overtake the Patriots as AFC champions in 2018. Throw in would'a-could'a-should'a commentary about last years AFCCG and conspiracy theories on a call that didn't go their way, and in their collective minds the group rationalized that they were the best team in league last year.

Defeating the Patriots left them no mountains to climb. Forgotten was all the hard work required to make it as far they did in 2017. Like a lottery winner that does not know how to handle wealth, the Jaguars did not know how to handle success.

2. Regression to the Norm
Much of Jacksonville's success was a result of defensive takeaways. While that immensely helps a team to win, turnovers are not something you can count on week in and week out. In 2017 Jacksonville ranked second in the NFL with 33 takeaways, one off the league lead. This year the Jags rank 24th with only 11 turnovers. Over the long term you just can't depend on takeaways.

3. Vanilla Defensive Game Planning & Play Calls
DC Todd Wash has been a buddy of HC Gus Bradley since they both played at North Dakota State twenty years ago. Wash has been criticized for calling soft zone coverages that give opposing quarterbacks too much time to see what is going on, and find an open man. The Jaguars very rarely mix their defensive play calls, making it easier for opposing offenses. There are not only no in-game adjustments; there are no week-to-week adjustments either.

4. Playing from behind vs playing with the lead
The uptick in turnovers in 2017 resulted in Jacksonville usually playing with the lead. That causes an opponent to alter their game plan and throw more often. That in turn allows the defense to tee off on the opposing quarterback. It also meant the Jags could rely on Leonard Fournette and the running game rather than Blake Bortles and the passing game. Fewer takeaways has resulted in fewer leads, which means a heavier load on Bortles to carry the team.

5. Personnel Decisions
GM Dave Caldwell deserves some scrutiny as well. He gave Bortles a $54 million contract extension when nobody else was bidding for the quarterback. Considering the number of top-five picks that the Jaguars have had, Jacksonville should be a powerhouse - but they are far from that.

Sacksonville No More?—Why the Jaguars Haven’t Been Themselves in 2018

The Jaguars' biggest problem isn't Blake Bortles. It's complacency.

Is there something wrong with the Jaguars defense?

What the hell happened to the Jaguars?

Todd Wash impresses in Gus Bradley's unorthodox interview process

They played their SB week 2. Only can go down from there.

They look like the Jags.

Undisciplined, see Fournette

Think they are some kind of legion of boom, they are not even close. They could be but the leaders on their team are selfish.

one good season playing a non division winner schedule. Now they play all the contenders and it’s a little different.

Terrible QB

Terrible coach

In fact I’d be willing to bet they are what their schedule says. 1st win vs a terrible giants team. Won their sb in week 2 and the rest is Jaguars that we’ve seen the last 5+ years.

Glad I was wrong about the Jags. They were the one team that bothered me just because of their D. Their window is shut and will lose guys on D. Can’t pay them all.

Now KC worries me about their O. Lol.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back