PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What positions would you like to see addressed this Offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be blasphemy around these parts. Whats the QB situation going forward? Draft, FA, or keep Jimmy? It seems unreasonable to talk about now. However, what if Brady falls off a cliff? It's going to happen eventually....l think.
most people seem to want to keep Jimmy G but they need to trade him, they would just lose him in free agency.

Idk if Kendall Wright will be able to pick up our offense. He played at Baylor & for the Titans. Both of those offenses are pretty simplistic. It'll most likely be similar to the Ocho Cinco saga smh.

I see him as a slot only. He doesn't need to learn the whole route tree. After 4 years in the league, I think he can handle it.

The Pats need more pass rush from the DT spot.

I want them to keep Vollmer as a swing tackle. Guaranteed vet min and a 1/4 mill roster bonus in Sept 1st. = 1 mill + $250,000 per start. and a 1 mill incentive if he suits up for 12+ games. If he starts due to an injury and plays 3/4 of the year, he makes 5 mill. If he gets cut in camp he made 600,000 and the pats have to release him on cutdown day to 74 men So as he still has a shot to catch on elsewhere. If he is just a reserve he gets 2 mill as long as he suits up.

I find it nonsensical to discuss specific draft player until 1 month into FA

DE, CB, might see them draft a kicker and see what he can beat out Ghost.

this offseason, I'm hoping that the Patriots expand their Lombardi trophy display and their championship banner display each by 25%

Any consideration of offseason needs has to take into account the teams and QBs we'll be facing next season

Away: Steelers, Bucs, Saints, Raiders, Broncos, Bills, Dolphins, Jets
Home: Texans, Panthers, Falcons, Chargers, Chiefs, Bills, Dolphins, Jets

The Patriots will face Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Derek Carr, and Ben Roethlisberger, all of whom rank in the top 12 of the NFL in passer rating. Ryan Tannehill should be healthy and he ranks 13th. Add in Chiefs QB Alex Smith and maybe even Bills QB Tyrod Taylor, if he returns, this means that over half of the Patriots opposing quarterbacks in 2017 should feature a current passer rating over the league average of 88.6 (Cam Newton and Philip Rivers had down years in 2016.... but they can easily pose a threat as well)

This schedule has "CBs who can play press-man coverage" and "Pass Rushers who can get to the QB" written all over it

Last edited:
Trade Jimmy, Get picks and see what happens.

May be worth looking at a Linebacker as well, whose mobile. This is why i like peppers, i know he is massively undersized, but the amount of looks you could put him in would be scary.

Think CB,DE, and i'm going to chuck in WR, reason being i'd like to see us have a big body deep threat, think if we could add one of them to our offence, we would be even more scary.

DT intrigues me if Branch leaves/retires.

Chris Baker, from Washington. Would make a lot of sense as a replacement.

The offseason is one month away! Since we have the week off, we have time to think about other stuff.

This led me to think this:
We dont have any major deficiencies within our Squad.

I dont mean that we cant upgrade some positions, but if head to 2017 with this exact team, i would be a-ok.

Some positions that could be upgraded this off-season, in my opinion:

LBs - I'm only not considering this position weak beacause everyone is playing so well. Patricia built something incredible. That being said, Donta is a FA to be and, after him, we only have Elandon Roberts as a true ILB. If i had to guess what will we draft with our first pick, my bet would be on the linebacker postion.

Center - again, Andrews is doing pretty well. But the fact is that he is a undersized C. If there's someone very good in FA or in the Draft, i would like to see him donning the silver and blue.

Corner - i think Ryan leaves and, given the current state of the NFL, havin 3 solid CBs is huge. I'm not that confident in Cyrus Jones, but he coild surprise me.

Slot WR - Edelman is awesome. He is also 31 and a very physical player. Maybe Brady shares his youth potion with the Squirrel, but we cant know for sure. Amendola has great hands, but he isnt great at separating from CBs. And he is very expensive, considering the amount of time he is on the field, even when healthy. Grooming a Edelman replacement could be on the back of BB's mind.

What positions would you want to see addressed?

Two positions I'd like to add, Post SB:

Running Back. - Blount was out of gas in the game and he had slowed down in the end of the season. Lewis and White are fine as is, but I'd like someone to push for that "Power" RB.

DE/DT - The good news is that our young players (Flowers/Brown/Valentine) still give us hope for the future. Nevertheless, we need to restock here. Long is too old, Branch played very well but his contract expired and, although he's 33, I'm guessing someone will overpay and he will play his last years somewhere else. Sheard is also leaveing. He never really exploded, but he was solid overall. Luckily for us, I hear this is a very deep position in the draft.

draftwise, use high picks on defense.....edge guy and an LB in round 1 and 2.....
DB and TE in rounds 3 and 4......OL/DL in 5,6,7

As of right now....

While there always is the chance they draft a QB or another O-lineman, I'm just going to focus on needs

RB- As much as I love LG, for a couple of years now I've been pounding the table for a 3-down RB who can hit the hole quick and make catches out of the backfield. I firmly believe the best way to extend Tom's career is to reduce the risk of injury which is derived from hits that he would take. I think Foreman, Mixon or Hill might be a decent bang for the buck. Sign LG for 2 years and he can groom the kid. If they can't there are only a handful of free agents out there that I'd consider.

WR- Sign Floyd. The market is down on him and I'm assuming he can be had for reasonable dollars. That'll give TB12 4 legit WR targets (assuming DA and the NEP can work out a deal-redo)

TE- With Gronk being less than durable and Marty seemingly gone, IMO they need to spend a high pick on someone.

4-3 DE or Edge guy. Need some youth here. Maybe Sheard comes back. Might be able to squeeze another year out of Nink and Long but they need more speed on the edge in the way of pass rush and sideline to sideline.

3-4 DT- Hope they can resign Branch but either way drafting another Vinnny V-type would be my suggestion

4-3 LB- Love E-Rob as hes been called and think he'll be a pretty good player and like Shea and Van Noy but I'd love for them to find a Jamie Collins-type (who wouldn't). I'm assuming they will franchise High.

Safety- Hard to believe but DMC turns 30 in August. They kinda need to think about spending a high pick on the same kind of player and groom him. Plus Harmon might be a gonner.

CB- They need a top player here as I think Ryan is as good as gone. Maybe Cyrus Jones can step in and be that 3CB. Coleman is gone anyway. Maybe JJ can find time in dime defenses. I'm sure they'll figure something out.

We have positions to address, but I am not convinced NE "needs" anything. Get the best players you can in the draft, regardless of position. Get hungry vets on good deals and then make all the newcomers work within a system that takes into account the strengths of the players on the roster.

In no particular order, and via either free agency or draft:

LT: Solder being healthy has been a HUGE difference between this season and last season. I'd rather not count on that happening 2 years in a row.

Big RB: As was the case with Solder, so is the case with Blunt.

Move TE: Especially if Bennett isn't re-signed.

WR: Even if Floyd is re-signed, he is certain to miss multiple games in 2017.

DE: Maybe even if Sheard is re-signed, which I very much hope happens. Ninko & Long are at the end of the line, and are merely backup-caliber now. And GeeNo Grossem is nobody's answer to anybody's question.

DT: Branch is a UFA; and adding a 3-Tech would be nice too, such as Nick Fairley, for whom I've been pimping for the last 2 years.

Coverage LB: A full off-season for Van Noy and Mingo (2017 option?) will obviously help, but more athleticism at the position is still needed.

CB: Even if Ryan is re-signed, an upgrade to Cy Jones, Jonny Jones & Justin Coleman are needed.

Solder's contract is up in 2017. So, bringing in a OT high in the draft makes sense.
DE - Long, Sheard, and Ninkovich are Free Agents. Supposedly this is a really strong Free Agency class for DE.. I wouldn't be surprised to see Long and Ninkovich retire, though Ninkovich could be back on a limited deal kinda the way Bruschi was his last season..

WR: I don't believe they'll look at WR except as UDFA unless they can't reach an agreement with Amendola on a restructure. They have Devin Lucien who spent the entire season on the PS and who should push for the #5 position on the team next season.

TE: I actually wouldn't mind seeing Floyd brought back and asked to put on 10 -15 pounds and be the move TE.. He's already got some damn good blocking skills.. Only time will tell if BB wants to bring him back..

Coverage LB: This is a need since neither Van Noy nor McClellin could do this with any reliability.

CB - I believe the Pats will address this in the draft. I don't see Ryan being re-signed.

S - I'd love for the Pats to bring Harmon back. I'm just not sure that another team won't over-pay for him.. Maybe Jordan Richards will surprise everyone, but it's not likely.. A draft pick here is likely.

after watching the back shaq mason's superbowl uni turn smurf blue, OG is a need

I love our group of RB's as just that: a group. But i would love a potential game breaking one. I think keeping White and Lewis around but debating the future of Blount because he depends on a lot of variables and situations in the game for him to get going rather than being a back that just takes over.

For that reason as i remember saying a couple of years ago when he broke out that i would love McCaffrey on this team. Unless a great DT is sitting there when we pick then i think we may regret not getting him. I haven't seen a more Patriot style of player on offense than him come out of the draft in quite some time.

Another reason i say Mcaffrey is the evidence from Sunday, we shouldn't be allowing our most important player just taking hit after hit all game long. The addition of a big play, game breaking 3 down back doesn't really allow teams to tee off on Brady if they have to stay honest due to the run (think Dak/Elliot this season)

Here's a list of current FAs (In no order) I Like and I think are a fit in our schemes and philosophy:

Robert Woods (WR /Bills) - How many players have we stole from our rivals? Woods could be a under-the-radar signing. He's only 25, played with sub-par QBs his whole life AND played well against the Pats in the past. If Amendola leaves, we could use a replacement.

Luke Wilson (TE / Seahawks) - I love Wilson. He is young and had to share the position with the Overrated Graham. He's not on Bennett level, but I don't think he reached his potential. I think we'll draft a TE regardless.

Stefen Wisniewski ( C/G / Eagles). This guy was great with the Raiders for a lil bit. Then he bounced on mediocre teams, but he always played well enough, when give opportunities. Now, I think the Pats lure him in and he becomes our Starting Center (after he beats Andrews in TC). He's versatile and has only 28 years old.

Calais Campbell (DE / Cardinals) - Dreaming is fun, ins't it?

Nick Fairley ( DT / Saints ) - We went after him in the past. If Branch doesn't stick around, maybe we'll go after him again.

Gerald Hodges (LB / 49ers) - He was playing decently. Could be that everyone around him was so bad, that he was the best part by default. Even if we retain Hightower (AND PLEASE DO SO), Van Noy and McClellin need to be pushed. I expect us to Draft some players too.

Justin Gilbert (CB / Steelers) - He's been dreadful, but he was a former 1st round with great athletic capabilities. Could be a "low risk/ high reward" kind of thing.

Micah Hyde (S/KR / Packers) - He's just what BB likes: Special Team Value, versatility (he plays CB as well) and even could help up if Harmon leaves.

There are players yet to be cut, too. Like I said before, there isn't really a huge need anywhere, as long as we keep our players. I doubt we make any big splash in FA.

Not a whole lot of "good" players too. Some big and expensive names, a gap with few players, lots of decent/JAGs

Micah Hyde is a Patriot type player

If we do go rb early the 2 players I see as fits are dalvin cook and Christian mccaffery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes