PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is funny about 28-3? Seriously, I'm asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lurker1965

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I assume I just don't get it.

I was in Illinois after the Bears won XX. I never got "46-10" even though all knew I was a Patriots fan.

Maybe if it was a "rival" team, I'd get it. If it was the Colts, Jets, or Steelers, I'd smile.

If we were all Saint fans and replaced the Patriots with the Saints somehow, I'd smile.

Trying to pretend I care about the Falcons, huh? What am I missing?

When you are up by 25 points late in the third quarter of the biggest game of the year....and lose, you choked......
When you have the ball in field goal range late in the 4th quarter driving for a field goal that will put you up by two scores with three minutes left..and lose you choked.....

Yes it takes one of the, if not the greatest comeback in NFL history, on the biggest stage but when you're on the losing end of 28-3 that becomes 34-28, you become the butt of jokes....
Like the Yankees who blew a 3-0 ALCS lead, up by a run in the ninth inning of game 4, when you lose that series, you choked...........
For Atlanta, it will take a loooooong time for that to go away......

Never understood it either. Constantly needling the Falcons with this diminishes what the Patriots did. Pats fans treat the comeback as something good, but not unexpected. When in fact it was frigging amazing, historic and may not ever be equaled in the Super Bowl.

It’s the fact that we actually had to overcome a 28-3 deficit, against a dominant offense in the SUPERBOWL of all games. The ‘85 Bears dominated AND won that game, so trolling the ‘85 Pats wouldn’t have had the same effect. Also, stuff like this..

0289371F-1268-433A-B345-9DDC9681C94A.jpeg 925F8587-A6AD-42ED-A436-09EE35645DCB.jpeg 0B043F16-5ACC-4956-806F-A95012AFFED0.jpeg 364F8446-14EB-4074-9995-4E77DE0B9223.jpeg

Last edited:
I do not regard it as funny. However, I do regard it as the epitome of Team strong mental resolve with the age old adage of "Never Give Up".
Unrivalled I think.
In addition Brady has these qualities in his DNA.

There has been trash talking of whatever team loses the Super Bowl by football fans for a long time. I heard and saw a lot of it outside New England after the Patriots lost to the Bears. Before that fans mocked the Vikings, Broncos and Bills for multiple Super Bowl losses. The first SB loss to the Giants nearly caused the internet to break. In my opinion the phenomenon began with people emulating Muhammad Ali and the way he treated his opponents.

For whatever reason there are a lot of people that seem to take more pleasure in a team losing than their own team winning. This isn't about rooting against a traditional rival, but instead picking a neutral team to 'hate'. Maybe that is because their own team only wins it all on average once every 32 years. On the other hand there is a team that loses the championship every year for these 'fans' to dis. Internet anonymity adds fuel to this type of thinking.

For me, "28-3" represents a mismatch of talent.... on display for 3 quarters that night.
The ensuing "31-0" represents the value of TB12 and winning pedigree.

It's funny to me because of their premature celebrating. And then they realised that they were about to become another statistic....

BossyCostlyHoneybee.gif

When I think of 28-3 in context of the Super Bowl honestly I don't think of it as 'humorous' but more 'impressive' and 'unbelievable' at how the Pats were able to rally and overcome insurmountable odds (and on the grandest of all stages)

When I think of 28-3 in context of the Super Bowl honestly I don't think of it as 'humorous' but more 'impressive' and 'unbelievable' at how the Pats were able to rally and overcome insurmountable odds (and on the grandest of all stages)

This. The Patriots were down 28-3 and won. That's crazy.

I love it because I can always remember seeing Alford high stepping ****ily into the endzone for a pick six and match it up to his postgame cry face. I didn't feel ire towards ATL until that

I laugh because winning after being down 28-3 shoved a three layered Karma pie right up Roger's ass. I imagine that at one point during the game he felt relieved that he wouldn't have to hand Brady the MVP only to realize that his worst case scenario just became worse. Not only was he handing the Lombardi to the Patriots but he was doing so after a historic comeback. He looked like a beaten bag of **** after the game. The BOO fest was just too sweet.

I laugh because I now envision his children scouring the internet searching for ways to change their names legally.

I laugh because Roger ran to Atlanta prior to the SB and is still afraid to show up in NE. BTW, showing up in the shadows like a yellow bellied p***y does not equal showing up.

I laugh because Roger spent two years trying to wreck Brady's name but instead cemented his own name as a corrupt useless pos.

Atlanta choking away a 25 point lead is funny on its own but it's Roger failing in historic fashion that I enjoy the most.

Hell, there may be a movie about that season and that game. Roger will have to live with being portrayed as the corrupt commissioner. Instead of Rudy Rudy Rudy it will be Brady Brady Brady.

There couldn't have been a more perfect ending to that season.

Last edited:
It's been turned into a "meme" (seemingly everything is nowadays) and it's been a little overdone, in my opinion.

For whatever reason there are a lot of people that seem to take more pleasure in a team losing than their own team winning.
I'm amazed people are surprised by this. I remember the reaction to SB48 here and elsewhere in Patriotsland, for god's sakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back