PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handel

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Some players, predicted to be long time gone at the time the Pats select at 21, are still available?

I don't speak of RBs but guys like

WR Jackson, Holmes
CB Williams, Hill
LB Sims
Ot Justice

Of that group, I think Jackson is the one we'd be most interested in. In fact I wouldn't be shocked if we moved up a little if he's hanging around in the 15, 16 range.

I can easily see Ty Hill still being there, as I don't really see him with a first round grade. He is short and fast, but other than that he doesnt bring anything special to the table. PASS

Williams may be interesting-it sounds like he has some attitude problems, but his attributes and his production are hard to deny. Depending on the RB's and LB's who are there, I may grab him.

I am not a huge fan of Sims for the Patriots. He is going to be a project in a 3-4 and is awfully short to be playing linebacker. I like some of the other guys who arent quite a project at the position. PASS

Justice-Right now the Patriots are looking good on the offensive line, as far as the starters go. Depth maybe needed, but using a first would be a waste when there are bigger needs and talent still on the board. PASS

There are only 5 "sure things" in this draft

Bush, Mario Williams, Ferguson, Hawk and Vernon Davis.

There are three QB's with great upsides but who are also possible disappointments.

I can't see much difference between drafting at 8 and drafting at 20 right now. The Rams draft at 11 and their message boards have focused on Bunkley, Huff, Lawson, and Ngata. I like Lawson best of that group, another Taylor, a tremendous athlete who long jumped over 24 feet. He has excelled at linebacker, special teams and defensive end. He's 6'5", 240 with long arms and 4.41 forty speed. He held up well agains Ferguson at the Senior Bowl.

If Lawson drops to the Pats I will be very surprised.

The only player in the top-20 I would say Belichick would pass on is Haloti Ngata..Then i think about that and say no...he would definitely take him. Wilfork and Ngata as interior linemen in a 4-3 would make even Belichick think about making a switch.

One of the reasons I find this draft so unpredictable is because there is going to be a run on DT'S & DE's and there's only 3 listed in the top-20:

Mario Williams, DE, NC State (6-7, 285, Junior)
Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon (6-5, 338, Junior)
Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State (6-3, 267)

As many as 2 of these players below could be picked to fill a need by a trading up team and still justify 1st round money. Several drafts sites have us selecting Wimbley or Lawson. Someone may get nervous thinking that and select them leaving a dropped pick falling into Belichicks lap.

--- Orien Harris, DT, Miami
---Claude Wroten, DT, LSU

---Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College
---Kamerion Wimbley, DE, Florida State
---Manny Lawson, DE, NC State

Handel said:
Some players, predicted to be long time gone at the time the Pats select at 21, are still available?

WR Jackson, Holmes
CB Williams, Hill
LB Sims
Ot Justice

I'd expect that at least 4 of those players will last to #21. And I think BB wouldn't draft any of them.

Either trade down, if we get a good offer, or sit tight and take a player we like. Simple.

Tye Hill would be the absolute worst pick ever

Why would Hill be a bad pick? Kid is amazing. He shut down speedsters like Sinorice Moss..QBs didnt throw to him a lot because they know his skill. Hes a nice kid and talented. Unforuntley, I dont see CB being our biggest need right now.

Ernie Sims? Hes 5"11 playing LB. Hes had some offield issues so I doubt he fits in with us just for those 2 reasons alone. Hes fast and athletic and I wouldnt mind him here but its just something unlikely.

Jimmy Williams is a good player..might be a little overrated in my books but hes pretty good. Hes got good height but hes way too c ocky, caused some trouble and will likely go before us.

Im not really in favor of going for an OL in first 2 rounds.

As for Holmes or Jackson, I would love having either. Both are very fast and have a lot of potential. Holmes has to focus on consistency in catching. Jackson needs to break the " Florida WRs dont succeed in the NFL theory". Both need to polish overall skill

Last edited:
Handel said:

WR Jackson, Holmes
CB Williams, Hill
LB Sims
Ot Justice

Match the value and need with the best BB-type player from that group. Start by scratching Williams and Sims...then rank Jackson and Holmes at WR, leaving you with a WR (Jackson/Holmes) vs a CB (Hill), vs an OT (Justice).

Something else to consider...are there other options for filling those positions (WR/CB/OT) later on?

Remix 6 said:
Jackson needs to break the " Florida WRs dont succeed in the NFL theory". Both need to polish overall skill

so does reche caldwell

LetsGoPats36 said:
Tye Hill would be the absolute worst pick ever
Ditto. I hate the fact that so many mocks have us taking him.

Seneschal2 said:
Something else to consider...are there other options for filling those positions (WR/CB/OT) later on?
Yes, yes, and yes.

Thats an interesting question, hopefully we will have a pleasant surprise similar to Vince falling into our laps. I like the possibilities of that #21 slot. When day one ends I want a LB, DB, RB and WR not necessarily in that order, but that order wouldn't surprise me at all.......

The more you read the scouting reports on Hill, the more you begin to see a theme in the conclusions. Hill is a track man playing CB, and if playing CB meant running long stright lines, then Hill is the man, but playing CB is much more than running long striaght lines.
Why does BB crave "quickness and smarts" over pure speed, because getting in and out of your breaks quickly is very important to a CB and knowing when to get in and out of those breaks quickly is crucial for a Pats CB.
Jimmy Williams is probably better suited to play FS than CB in the NFL.
It's hard to imagine Jackson slipping to us at #21, but it's very easy to imagine Holmes slipping to us. Holmes has a good number of the skillsets that BB looks for in a WR. He could play as a rookie for us.
Sims - given the off-field incidents and after watching his game on film, hard to project him as a Patriot type player.
Justice - hard to imagine him even being on teh Patriots draft board.

Ochmed Jones said:
but it's very easy to imagine Holmes slipping to us. Holmes has a good number of the skillsets that BB looks for in a WR. He could play as a rookie for us.
As a player I agree but I've read too many opinions of his personality to think that he'll be high on our board. Honestly, after hearing from some Ohio State fans I wouldn't be shocked if Holmes isn't even on our board. He has no skeletons in his closet that I know of but he is eveidently a jerk.

true. but u can not teach speed, and it is somthing that our corner backs are lacking. If he is there at 21 we take him, if not, i think we take williams. Either of their upside to too great to ignore. Plus if dillon doesnt come back at the end of his contract, we have a rb to replace him; and the cap for rb wont be so high.

What have the OSU fans been saying about Holmes????? I must have missed that bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back