Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: vs 49ers
Pick Results: SF: 38.2% at NE: 61.8%
Sun
Oct 25th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
We have seen a lot of movies and read a lot of books about what an encounter with Aliens would mean for humanity. There actually has been a fair amount of work done on this at the governmental levels. It is a subject that has always tickled my fancy as a scifi fan. Here is everything I have learned when distilled from all sources. First option A: Benevolent Aliens

If benevolent Aliens decide to visit us there are one of two options. Either they will leave us alone unless asked or force their assistance on us if they feel it is justified. While humanity has had issues trying to change the culture of other human it can be done and has been done. It is very possible that if they believe we will destroy ourselves and/or our planet (which is highly valuable) they may feel the need to step in to save us and our precious planet. If that happens humanity will have to make a the choice of either giving up control temporarily (maybe permanently) or destroying itself in protest. Contrary to what we like to think about ourselves all evidence points to humanity allowing aliens to take over if the situation doesn't seem that unfavorable. The ones to oppose this will be those already at the top of the social/political structure and it would be possible to drown their complaints out with the free benefits an advanced civilization can give the common person as well as the penalties for non-compliance. This could be accomplished well within a generation. Of course they may just let us set the terms and if we destroy ourselves and our world 'oh well'. The general opinion is that is less likely outcome if push come to shove. Planets like earth are too valuable. If we won't fix ourselves with their help, they are believed to be likely to step in. Star Trek's 'Prime Directive' sounds nice, but in a universe so stark with life it's doubtful that is what would happen.

If malevolent aliens visit us that's a very different story. If aliens intend us harm we are not only going to all die, but we likely won't even know they're here. It serves no purpose to make themselves known to us. It is likely they would have a way to avoid being seen and would go about destroying the human population in a way that looks natural as to keep us from doing anything drastic. Maybe a disease, micro AI, or something similar. If they are unable to keep from being seen that is where things get interesting. If we know they are coming then what can we do? Actually there is something, depending on how long we have. Assuming they want our planet usable after we are gone we may be able to hold it hostage. There is no official name for this plan as far as I know but the theory is agreed upon. I'll call it the nuclear dead man's switch. How it would work is this. You put a couple people hundreds of feet underground in a bunker. Cut them off from all advanced tec or outsides sources as much as you can. There is no communication and all evidence of where they are is kept on paper then destroyed. Nothing goes online or on a network. Every few hours or day you need someone to manually prevent, for lack of a better word, the doomsday trigger.

If not pressed the nukes go off, the biochemicals go off, all the diseases/bacteria we have created is released/ect.... A lot of it will be stopped no doubt, but not all of it most likely. The plan would be to make our planet as useless as possible. This would result in the extinction of all life on earth but it would be our best chance. Assuming this could be set up before they get here it gives humanity some leverage to negotiate. As for what this deal would be it is pretty logically. If the aliens can't have our stuff why let us live? We need to give them something. If it's a one time payment they have no reason to not take it then try a surprise attack to stop our doomsday plan to try to gain more. The only deal that could work is if we give them a valuable payload annually. Maybe every year or 10 years for the rest of our existence or until we are too big of a threat and they decide to wipe us out. It's hard to say if this is worth doing or if a deal is worth being struck. It is also possible they will decide human's are worth enslaving. As for why humans over AI it is possible these aliens may have already have had issues with AI. Having an AI that can manipulate the world, make more of itself as well as improvements on itself has draw backs. Humanity would be less effective but would have less downsides with a few minor adjustments. While aliens enslaving humanity is a trope it is certainly a possibility when considering possible downsides of AI.

There is a lot more I can write about this but this is already a bit long. Kind of an odd topic but that's what this board is for right? : P

Last edited:

Nikolai

Football Atheist
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
I would think, most likely, any alien civilization advanced enough to find us will want to exploit our natural resources. It could be that they will require our labor to exploit it, in which case, they will have to find a way to occupy us. It wouldn't be easy. We're a defiant species.

More ominously is the idea that there are Type 3+ civilizations out there, building dyson spheres around galaxies to harvest energy (one of the more crazy Bootes Void theories revolves around this idea), and that the entire Milky Way would be harvested for energy, effectively ending our civilization without the alien species even being aware of us or us understanding what is happening. More points awarded for an AI-type civilization that broke free from/destroyed its alien creators and is ever-expanding.

All that said, I'm warming up to the idea that while there is almost certainly all kinds of alien life out there, we could be among the more advanced versions of life in the universe. The common sci-fi trope that we are the physically weakest and least intelligent is fun, but perhaps not reality. We really have no idea.

I joke that the real reason aliens don't make themselves known here is that some alien expedition 100 million years ago arrived here, and the young commander decided he wanted to be the first to step foot on the new planet...only to be jumped by a pack of velociraptors and eaten alive. After that, Earth was off limits, but even so, there are still some young alien lieutenants fresh out of Alien West Point suggesting that maybe they should try again, only to be shouted down as morons.

Adam Seward

IAN 2020
PatsFans.com Supporter
I personally dont think its an 'if' at this point. I have a close friend who works at a 3 letter in DC, and from a brief conversation, the few publicly released videos of objects maneuvering in ways human created objects are not known to, are just a peek into the archive of these instances captured by our weapon systems.

Could there be a cover up for our own technology? Maybe, but some of these videos are 15+ years old - I cant imagine where we would be technologically now

Could it be another country that 15 years ago surpassed what we know publicly today to be possible? Seems highly unlikely, China currently has trouble building jet engines domestically. Russia would have had to keep this secret through the fall of the USSR to operate at this level in 2004. Japan, UK, France? at least we are friendly

Could it be some newly discovered natural phenomena? Absolutely

Could it be some epic misinformation ploy? Absolutely

As for 'what do they want?'. Who the hell knows.. to just casually observe would be pretty nice.

I could also be naive and gullible; and we are in the sweet, blissful, unknown sector of the universe.

FirstAndGoal

In the Starting Line-Up
There's an assumption in this argument that goes to human ego and how we think we're even worthy of alien interest

1) The aliens say hi
2) The aliens hide from us to avoid the pleasantries of conversation they don't want to have

How about, the aliens do what they do as we do when ants get in the way? We don't hide from ants and we don't think about them. We just do what we do and have no regard or resistence to their presence or accomplishments. They only become interesting when they interfere with our day so we spray them with a can of Raid, and move on.

It's arrogant to think think we register in their thought process.

It makes a good movie to think we have a shot and will turn the tides though.

:D

lancerman

In the Starting Line-Up
We have seen a lot of movies and read a lot of books about what an encounter with Aliens would mean for humanity. There actually has been a fair amount of work done on this at the governmental levels. It is a subject that has always tickled my fancy as a scifi fan. Here is everything I have learned when distilled from all sources. First option A: Benevolent Aliens

If benevolent Aliens decide to visit us there are one of two options. Either they will leave us alone unless asked or force their assistance on us if they feel it is justified. While humanity has had issues trying to change the culture of other human it can be done and has been done. It is very possible that if they believe we will destroy ourselves and/or our planet (which is highly valuable) they may feel the need to step in to save us and our precious planet. If that happens humanity will have to make a the choice of either giving up control temporarily (maybe permanently) or destroying itself in protest. Contrary to what we like to think about ourselves all evidence points to humanity allowing aliens to take over if the situation doesn't seem that unfavorable. The ones to oppose this will be those already at the top of the social/political structure and it would be possible to drown their complaints out with the free benefits an advanced civilization can give the common person as well as the penalties for non-compliance. This could be accomplished well within a generation. Of course they may just let us set the terms and if we destroy ourselves and our world 'oh well'. The general opinion is that is less likely outcome if push come to shove. Planets like earth are too valuable. If we won't fix ourselves with their help, they are believed to be likely to step in. Star Trek's 'Prime Directive' sounds nice, but in a universe so stark with life it's doubtful that is what would happen.

If malevolent aliens visit us that's a very different story. If aliens intend us harm we are not only going to all die, but we likely won't even know they're here. It serves no purpose to make themselves known to us. It is likely they would have a way to avoid being seen and would go about destroying the human population in a way that looks natural as to keep us from doing anything drastic. Maybe a disease, micro AI, or something similar. If they are unable to keep from being seen that is where things get interesting. If we know they are coming then what can we do? Actually there is something, depending on how long we have. Assuming they want our planet usable after we are gone we may be able to hold it hostage. There is no official name for this plan as far as I know but the theory is agreed upon. I'll call it the nuclear dead man's switch. How it would work is this. You put a couple people hundreds of feet underground in a bunker. Cut them off from all advanced tec or outsides sources as much as you can. There is no communication and all evidence of where they are is kept on paper then destroyed. Nothing goes online or on a network. Every few hours or day you need someone to manually prevent, for lack of a better word, the doomsday trigger.

If not pressed the nukes go off, the biochemicals go off, all the diseases/bacteria we have created is released/ect.... A lot of it will be stopped no doubt, but not all of it most likely. The plan would be to make our planet as useless as possible. This would result in the extinction of all life on earth but it would be our best chance. Assuming this could be set up before they get here it gives humanity some leverage to negotiate. As for what this deal would be it is pretty logically. If the aliens can't have our stuff why let us live? We need to give them something. If it's a one time payment they have no reason to not take it then try a surprise attack to stop our doomsday plan to try to gain more. The only deal that could work is if we give them a valuable payload annually. Maybe every year or 10 years for the rest of our existence or until we are too big of a threat and they decide to wipe us out. It's hard to say if this is worth doing or if a deal is worth being struck. It is also possible they will decide human's are worth enslaving. As for why humans over AI it is possible these aliens may have already have had issues with AI. Having an AI that can manipulate the world, make more of itself as well as improvements on itself has draw backs. Humanity would be less effective but would have less downsides with a few minor adjustments. While aliens enslaving humanity is a trope it is certainly a possibility when considering possible downsides of AI.

There is a lot more I can write about this but this is already a bit long. Kind of an odd topic but that's what this board is for right? : P
If they can reach us, they are so much more advanced than us that we are no less at their will than any animal is at ours

Calhoun44

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Chariots of the Gods, I loved that book as a teenager.
It already happened. Old news.
They either left or stayed and are still among us.
I'm mostly joking. But a part of me can't help wondering why the pyramids and Nazca lines exist on the scale they do.

h0c2000

On the Game Day Roster
Depending on how the aliens identify, liberal or conservative, I can tell you which posters will be pro-Alien and which will be anti-Alien.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
If they can reach us, they are so much more advanced than us that we are no less at their will than any animal is at ours

Yes. If they want us dead we will die, if that is their primary motive. It's highly unlikely our extinction will be their primary motive. Either they will want to be nice and help us or they will want our stuff and see us as an annoyance in the way. Assuming they want our stuff we might be able to stop them from taking a lot of it by ruining everything ourselves. That would be our only option. Assuming they traveled all the way here it would be in their self interest to see they don't walk away empty handed. This is why threatening to blow ourselves up and poison the earth is the only possible defense we could realistically muster.

Other defensive options have been supposed but they don't pass the smell test when dealing with such an advanced civilization. Even trying to blow ourselves up and ruin our resources may be impossible in the face of such advanced tec. EMPs? Teleport tech? Who knows what else.

That being said it should be possible. While their tech will be far more advanced there is science to indicate there is a bottleneck effect you reach. That being of size and materials. Everything we know about reality indicates you need something physical to store information on and machines can only be so small before everything becomes unquantifiable and uncertain. This indicates while their tech will be far more advanced there should be some limit to what they can do with it. Hopefully enough so that our threat to ruin everything if they try to take it all holds some weight. It may not though.

Last edited:

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
There's an assumption in this argument that goes to human ego and how we think we're even worthy of alien interest

1) The aliens say hi
2) The aliens hide from us to avoid the pleasantries of conversation they don't want to have

How about, the aliens do what they do as we do when ants get in the way? We don't hide from ants and we don't think about them. We just do what we do and have no regard or resistence to their presence or accomplishments. They only become interesting when they interfere with our day so we spray them with a can of Raid, and move on.

It's arrogant to think think we register in their thought process.

It makes a good movie to think we have a shot and will turn the tides though.

:D

I don't think it's human ego. I've heard that said before but I never found it to be a great argument. Rare things are valuable. No matter what else that should cross over civilizations to some degree. Maybe it is a human thought and I could be wrong. Life is rare so it's valuable. Planets like earth are rare, so it's valuable. As for what that value may mean to aliens is hard to say.

Maybe they see us the same way we see monkeys in a zoo. A curiosity who do some clever thing but often spend much of our time throwing crap at each other. Maybe they see us as just a time killer. Something to watch as entertainment. I see this as a highly likely option.

We assume aliens will have better things to do than worry about us. I'm not so sure that is the case. I think it's more likely we are the most interesting thing they've come across in centuries. Think about it. Hunger? solved. Sickness? solved. Death? Solved. Energy? solved. Space travel? solved. ect.... Everything is solved. You can keep spending your time looking for advancements that are neat but don't really affect your day to day life, or you can tune in and see what those wacky humans are up to. Still putting on helmets and running into each other like idiots? LOL! So silly! Are the morons about to nuke each other? LOL not this time I guess. So maybe humanity's purpose will be a way to cure boredom for a more advanced race for a few millennia till they find something more interesting. I see that as a likely outcome.

denverpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Humanity are the aliens. We are not from the world. Do the math. Open your eyes. Truth!

Calhoun44

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Rare things are valuable. No matter what else that should cross over civilizations to some degree. Maybe it is a human thought and I could be wrong. Life is rare so it's valuable

Tell that to all the endangered species. I would say all the extinct ones but that is part of the problem, they don't exist anymore.

FirstAndGoal

In the Starting Line-Up
I don't think it's human ego. I've heard that said before but I never found it to be a great argument. Rare things are valuable. No matter what else that should cross over civilizations to some degree. Maybe it is a human thought and I could be wrong. Life is rare so it's valuable. Planets like earth are rare, so it's valuable. As for what that value may mean to aliens is hard to say.
What makes us rare? Because we think we are (ego).

Here's a number 21.6 sextillion (21,600,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) planets in the observable universe.

We can barely get out of our solar system and you think the Earth rare? Might be but that's a statement that can't proven at this point and likely never. (ego).

Also, why does an alien consider the difference in our intelligence any significantly greater than that of a cat? Because we think there's a huge difference when we compare it to our relative intelligence? (ego).

Maybe they see us the same way we see monkeys in a zoo. A curiosity who do some clever thing but often spend much of our time throwing crap at each other. Maybe they see us as just a time killer. Something to watch as entertainment. I see this as a highly likely option.
Maybe they think about us as much as we do bacteria... only when infected. Again, using your own perception to judge interest is human-centric.

We assume aliens will have better things to do than worry about us. I'm not so sure that is the case. I think it's more likely we are the most interesting thing they've come across in centuries. Think about it. Hunger? solved. Sickness? solved. Death? Solved. Energy? solved. Space travel? solved. ect.... Everything is solved. You can keep spending your time looking for advancements that are neat but don't really affect your day to day life, or you can tune in and see what those wacky humans are up to. Still putting on helmets and running into each other like idiots? LOL! So silly! Are the morons about to nuke each other? LOL not this time I guess. So maybe humanity's purpose will be a way to cure boredom for a more advanced race for a few millennia till they find something more interesting. I see that as a likely outcome.

I don't know what to tell you other than you don't find my argument to be great but yours is based on your own perception and interests and not base on something grounded in experience because there are no experiences to reference. You keep applying how you think they would react instead of understanding that we might be nothing more than some viral entity to be ignored or eradicated. They might not even be carbon based or even consist of physical bodies like we have...

Believe what you want but "worry" "interest" "hunger" "sickness" "death" and all the other things you are applying are human attributes and do not necessitate any other being's attributes or curiosities.

Last edited: