PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What *experts* are saying about the Patriots during their bye week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Tom Brady and friends see this article. Excellent bulletin board material.

I know the media tends to be negative however are they usually this slanted?

Is it just me or does the link not work?

Sometimes the Globe charges

I did not read the article, but "Experts" tend to put far too much emphasis in the final score of the most recent game, and far too little in to the entire body of work of any and every team.

For example: at various times this season the Jaguars were headed to the AFCCG, Houston and Tennessee had no chance of making the playoffs, Denver was a serious playoff contender, Baltimore was going to go deep into the post-season after winning the AFC North, and Miami was going to dethrone the Patriots in the AFC East.

All that is just in the AFC; there have been just as many overreactions in the NFC.

Edit: Clicked the link.

Wished I had not.

Any article that touts 'experts' in its headline, and then quotes Max Kellerman and Stephen A Smith as their top experts on football.... obviously has no clue whatsoever on the subject matter.

It would be comparable to appointing me as an 'expert' on ranking the best reality television shows.

Any list of (ahem) experts that includes Max (predicting Brady's demise since 1999) Kellerman, Stephen A(wipe) Smith, Rollo Tomase, Mike (Gotta Get Clicks) Florio, Tara (two tone) Sullivan and Mike (Tainted) Tainer is hard to lend much credence to.

Let me check with my dog for his expert take and I'll get back to you

Shocker, the sports media are doing reactive narratives, particularly in a sport where you play one game a week and still need to fill a 24 hour news cycle on the 6 days between games. I never would have thunk it. It's almost like some of these guys are playing characters because they get paid a million dollars a year to do so and troll is one of the most desirable traits a media personality can affect.

We should get really mad about it, that'll be productive and totally contrary to what they're trying for. They'll definitely never expect the angry faux disrespected fan of the most successful franchise in North American pro sports, this thread is the first time that's ever been done, Patriots fans usually react so rationally to The Narrative.

Sports media is a ***********. One of them creates a story such as a "source says" or making a post ergo propter hoc based conclusion, then the rest of them tout it as "people are saying" (or more). They reiterate over and over what another of their *********** says, then treat the oft repeated statement as the virtual reality. It's like ESPN making the GDT a one hour show. As well -- one of my favorites -- they anoint each other as experts (that's among the biggest lies they write/speak). Reality: Having a writing degree or journalism degree doesn't make you an expert on a subject you write about or report on. Certainly talking all day about your opinion on sports does not make you an expert (if that were true then every multi thousand PatsFans poster is close to if not an actual expert). So an accurate headline would be What sports media talking heads are saying about the Patriots during their bye week. Though I'm not a consumer of mass sports media, that seems a real headline.

As to the substance of what the talking heads think about the Patriots after the bye? I tried, I really really tried, but I just couldn't find a way to care what they think or believe. That's real tough luck for me as I'm sure I'm missing out. :)

If those guys are football experts lol Kellerman is a failed rapper and failed boxing anylist. After failing in two fields, he’s decided to talk football. Here’s the rub on that. I have watched and read and breathed football for a long time. Longer than kellerman has drawn breath. I do not know and understand all of the things you’d need to in order to call yourself an expert. Not implying that time is relavent in all of this but maturity and common sense are. These guys posess neither

Last edited:
The patriots are still favored to win the division and play in the AFC title game. They are considered the 4th most likely team to win the SB, after NO, LAC, and KC (with PITT as #5). That seems very reasonable.
====
Experts and bettors have favored the patriots for at least a decade. It is only fans that don't think that they are fair. That happens anytime a negative comment is made. If the experts were polled, they would likely have close to the same percentages as we would have here as to who is most likely to win the AFCE, be in the Championship Game and to win the AFC.
====

I trust "Sammy Blue Cat" more than I trust most of the local "experts", most of the local "expertise" on the Pats has to do with talking over, raising their voice or discussing possible conspiracies rather than discussing the actual team.

I trust "Sammy Blue Cat" more than I trust most of the local "experts", most of the local "expertise" on the Pats has to do with talking over, raising their voice or discussing possible conspiracies rather than discussing the actual team.

INOW most of the local sports media sucks and no where is it more obvious on sports talk radio..

Expert here... Yeah not as much as the stat geeks maybe. but what I'm saying is this team has always come back from stinkers. Its as much mental as anything else. Coaching, game plan, leadership. Bye week helps. Get some new plays in.. Get guys fired up and well rested. Almost December and that's when it really matters. Then you judge the team ..cuz now its still building process, IMO.

And still, KC has one loss...a loss to noddle-armed, over-the-hill QB on a weak and fragile team that can't come from behind.

Except they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing