PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are you expecting from Mac Jones this season?

mac’s throw in the first one looks lazy on his part. he had space to step up and rifle the ball but for whatever reason didn’t…
In my opinion, the throw was too late. If you re-watch closely, the RB was open, but the LB closed the gap by the time Mac turned his head towards the RB.

But I agree with the others that there needs to be more zip on that pass.

In my opinion, the throw was too late. If you re-watch closely, the RB was open, but the LB closed the gap by the time Mac turned his head towards the RB.

But I agree with the others that there needs to be more zip on that pass.

Yeah, he needs to put more zip on that ball. However, on that one play it's not a question of arm strength - we're only talking about a 12 yard pass. He just needs to step up in the pocket with his feet and shoulders in the direction of the receiver. In other words, the power needed to come from his legs, not his arm, there.

Last edited:
it’s nice to know that if we are seeing all of this so is Mac and so are the coaches. Can’t wait to see what he looks like once contact starts.

Yeah, he needs to put more zip on that ball. However, on that one play it's not a question of arm strength - we're only talking about a 12 yard pass. He just needs to step up in the pocket with his feet and shoulders in the direction of the receiver. In other words, the power needed to come from his legs, not his arm, there.
Yes, I forgot to mention his feet as well not lined up with the throw.

The event's the event. Brady's arm was enough to beat all comers. Your argument doesn't even rise to the level of ridiculous.
Didn't Mac beat out Lawrence in multiple QB competitions?

Leaner
Stronger core, arms, and legs, leading to some amount of increased throwing power

It's all about the arm with this kid.
Actually arm strength is only half the story. There's a lot of using your legs and hips properly to drive the ball as well to deliver the deep ball. Yes there exist some freaks of nature who can throw the ball sidearm 50 yards in midair, like Mahomes. But for most QB's leveraging your entire body includes using your legs, hips, and upper body as a platform to deliver the ball. It involves the whole body working together.

Here's a good breakdown of throwing mechanics:

I'm sure throwing gurus like Tom House have even finer tips and drills to improve throwing consistency and delivery, but I feel the basics described in the above video are pretty enlightening.

The smartest players are the best players in just about every sport on the planet.

Mac can be as good as he wants to be, and as good as the team around him allows.

It’s a team game, but QB is part of the team. Mac had the single greatest passing season in college history in every stat possible and won a championship. He’s accurate, and not an athletic slouch. Use your imagination. How good is the Patriot’s team?

Actually arm strength is only half the story. There's a lot of using your legs and hips properly to drive the ball as well to deliver the deep ball. Yes there exist some freaks of nature who can throw the ball sidearm 50 yards in midair, like Mahomes. But for most QB's leveraging your entire body includes using your legs, hips, and upper body as a platform to deliver the ball. It involves the whole body working together.

Yes, and the generic term used for it is "arm strength".

mac’s throw in the first one looks lazy on his part. he had space to step up and rifle the ball but for whatever reason didn’t…
I wouldn't use the word "lazy" but agree with the rest. After the season I listed a few things of what I wanted to see from Mac year two. Work on mechanics, physique etc but he was late coming off his 1st read, slow pulling the trigger to #2. I definitely expect to see more control from huddle, in between and during plays.
Yes, I forgot to mention his feet as well not lined up with the throw.
His mechanics got sloppy as the year went on. He had lapses all year but more noticeable after the Cleveland game.

*edit*
again I've been saying this even before he came into the league with his mechanics. They're good but definitely could be tweaked. Upper & lower imo but I'm not a expert on that. But combined with his body both could unlock some real power.

Not silly at all. What's silly is to use a QBs challenge skills competition as proof as anything in terms of a QB's skills. Seriously, what does 2-4 throws in a QB Competition tell you? Really? You are literally judging his arm strength of his peers based on four throws against a bunch of QBs on vacation in Hawaii. The QB Competition was nothing more than the equivalent of a scratch golf game of a bunch of friends on vacation. It was entertaining to watch, but meant nothing.

You watched those things. The old, well paid QBs barely seemed interest in competing for what $10,000? They are all joking around and having a good time. It was a vacation.

Can we talk about Mac Jones being the best scrambling QB in the NFL because he ran for a 65 yard TD in the Pro Bowl?
I believe that the discussion was about arm strength, not skills, though I'm pretty sure Brady has a few skills too.

I think NYFL QBs are competitive at all times. To get to where they are they're most likely the type who want to win at anything for any amount. We got a glimpse of that in their recent golf match.

Mac Jones ran for a 65 yard TD in the pro bowl? I didn't know that.

Mac needs to improve his arm strength but it's for this ...

... not for his deep ball. Sure it'll help but he wins deep bc of timing, anticipation and accuracy. Velocity will help but "arm strength" is more for out routes, tight window passes, far hash - far sideline.

It's an issue but again I'm more concerned with floaters he tosses at times. You can see it on some deep(er) stuff,
(floater)

for me it’s the intermediate stuff bc that's his bread n butter.

Great point. Mac needs a little more zip on the ball and I think he'll have it this year.

I believe that the discussion was about arm strength, not skills, though I'm pretty sure Brady has a few skills too.

I think NYFL QBs are competitive at all times. To get to where they are they're most likely the type who want to win at anything for any amount. We got a glimpse of that in their recent golf match.

Mac Jones ran for a 65 yard TD in the pro bowl? I didn't know that.

Brady ended up develop great arm strength as his career went along, but he didn't have that when he came into the league. He developed it over time.

And the NFL QB competition had QBs all over the place. Some played like they were in the Super Bowl. Others didn't give a crap. I think the competition for distance was two rounds of two throws down the field and only the best throw each round counted. So even if they were all trying, one or two of them could have an off day or Brady was lucky to have the wind catch the right or whatever. It isn't an accurate way to judge arm strength of a QB.

Brady ended up develop great arm strength as his career went along, but he didn't have that when he came into the league. He developed it over time.

And the NFL QB competition had QBs all over the place. Some played like they were in the Super Bowl. Others didn't give a crap. I think the competition for distance was two rounds of two throws down the field and only the best throw each round counted. So even if they were all trying, one or two of them could have an off day or Brady was lucky to have the wind catch the right or whatever. It isn't an accurate way to judge arm strength of a QB.
Those events were jokes with only a handful of QB's participating, presumably for image marketing purposes. Do we really care that Brady threw further in a circus event than Jeff Garcia?

In college Mac didn't have to be perfect with every throw to be, well perfect. In the NFL you can't get away with many of those not perfect throws. Part of the process of moving from college to the nfl, and one of the reasons it is really tough for a rookie qb to play in the NFL.

Now you're starting to r e a c h. You should quit while you're only behind a little. ;)

Brady always had great arm strength. Was originally drafted as a catcher. A position in baseball along with RF where great arm strength is essential.

Last edited:
Brady always had great arm strength. Was originally drafted as a catcher. A position in baseball along with RF where great arm strength is essential.
And Mac Jones plays qb in the NFL a position in football where great arm strength is essential. Brady wasn't known for having a huge arm in college, or in the pros ever. Brady has never lived and died on his arm strength, it was his accuracy and intelligence coupled with a good arm. If we dissected Bradys interceptions over his career we would see places where he simply made a mistake, and times where he didn't put enough "zip" on the ball. It happens when you throw the ball 8 bazillion times. Qb's don't always want to throw the ball as hard as they can, it makes it tough to catch, they try to put the right touch on the ball to make it catchable but fast enough to get to the receiver before the defense can get it. That timing part is tough and part of what makes great qb's great, and why it is so hard to be a great qb in the nfl.

Here are comments on Brady from five talent evaluators leading up to the 2000 NFL draft:

Scout:
Awful. Not even on my board. Weak. He’ll make somebody a good husband or a good medical salesman.

Scout II: Has a quick, (former Michigan QB Brian) Griese-type release.

Quarterback coach: Backup. Could be a #2 in this league for a long time. Has the size but not enough arm.

Offensive coordinator:
More instinctive than (Michigan State QB Bill) Burke. Makes better decisions, makes more plays.

General manager: Like him. Just wish he was a better athlete.
--Poor build
--Skinny
--Lacks great physical stature and strength
--Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush
--Lacks a really strong arm
--Can’t drive the ball downfield

--Does not throw a really tight spiral
--System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib
--Gets knocked down easily

Now you're starting to r e a c h. You should quit while you're only behind a little. ;)

Sorry the Brady cult doesn’t like the fact that I don’t find a silly QB competition during Pro Bowl weekend proof of anything.

But can we get back to discussing whether Mac Jones will break the QB rushing TD record this season after showing off his blazing foot speed in the Pro Bowl?

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back