PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are we getting with Stidham as the starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redman443

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know he's not Brady but he doesn't necessarily have to be. I watched some of the 2017 auburn film and when he had a decent o line and was allowed to air it out, he could improvise with his legs and make some big time throws. In 2018, he would panic in the pocket and overthrow recievers, also took a lot more sacks due to a sub par o line. I also think Auburns offense was more simplified the second year which hurt his ability to make the big throws. I think we should follow the 2001 model and rely on the veterans we have playing on defense to set up short fields and not ask stidham to do too much.

We're getting a guy that for sure won't do for the Pats what Brady did. Gonna be a different ride

We don't know. We don't know whether he is better than Hoyer. We'll get a better idea of what Belichick's thinks by looking at the next QB he brings in.

We're getting a guy that for sure won't do for the Pats what Brady did. Gonna be a different ride
BradyGRUMPY wasn't doing for the Pats what BradyGOAT did either. No one in today's league can touch Brady's numbers with the exception of maybe Mahomes.

Don't expect Brady. Lets be patient. The schedule next year, even if we had Brady and all these same offensive weapons, would be very tough.

I think we will get somewhere in between what jimmy did for 6 quarters and what brissett did for 2 games.

I think we're going to get a run heavy offense, lots of motion to help him ID the coverage, lots of safe passes, occasional bootlegs, rare deep attempts. I think that translates to 9-10 wins with most coming in the 2nd half of the season. All that translates well for next season when we have tons of cap space.
Stidham will be Brady in his second season, but I don't think the defense will be what it was in Brady's 2nd year. Could be totally wrong! lol

Last year's Brady stopped being very good after week 2.
As long as Stidhan plays no worse than jag we can compete.
If we had some fricking linebackers and Tightends.

I think the Patriots should try to add Ross,Fuller,Samuel, Or Mike Williams.
I would entertain a Gilmore for Golladay trade.
Trade for Njoku and draft Kmet or Trautman.
This offense is very fixable.
We just have to make the correct moves.
If Herbert Tua,or Love are in range and BB feels either is a upgrade over Stidham you have to make a move.
We will find out exactly what BB thinks of J Stiddy after draft night.
If BB believes in him trade down and infuse the roster with more young players.
Our best scenario is one of Love or Herbert falls to 23 and BB gets a bundle for it.

A quarterback cannot be "very good" without receivers, TE's and blocking for the running game.

A quarterback cannot be "very good" without receivers, TE's and blocking for the running game.
Vintage Tommy made players better around him elevated their play.

You forget he won games with JR Redmond and Jermaine Wiggins.

Probably a bunch of losses, for this upcoming season anyway.

Stidham has a lot of potential. He was misused at Baylor and Auburn, so I wouldn't rely on his college tape. One scout reportedly said this on Stidham: "How the f--k do they always do this? Kid falls right into their laps and looks like the second coming. It's like Bill and Josh undid all the damage Auburn did to him." I'd be shocked if the Pats draft a QB in round 1 unless Tua starts to slip...

L.

1) As long as Stidhan plays no worse than jag we can compete.

2) If Herbert Tua,or Love are in range and BB feels either is a upgrade over Stidham you have to make a move.

3) We will find out exactly what BB thinks of J Stiddy after draft night.

1) I believe that Stidham will need to play well for us to compete. This team is just not good enough to compete with a JAG quarterback.

2) I strongly agree. Personally, I would expect Belichick to move up for any of these 3, presuming that he believes that they have good potential, and the cost isn't more than a 2020 3rd.

3) Perhaps. If Belichick doesn't use more than 6th for a QB, then we MIGHT presume that Belichick has faith in Stidham. However, it could mean that Belichick wanting to see if he could get an acceptable QB from the draft before pulling the trigger on a free agent bridge QB. To be clear, Belichick might want one of the top QB's ( or even one of the next their of ab's) instead of one of the veterans available.

Brady's last really great season was in 2017. His numbers went down in 2018 and 2019. That could be because he lost Amendola and Hogan in 2018 and the loss of Gronk in 2019 and/or injuries. This year he probably has the best set of weapons on his roster since 2016 or maybe even 2007, so it will be telling if his numbers continue to slide.

Hopefully not an INT machine a la Drew. Other than Matt Cassel for 16 games, you have to go back 20 years to the last guy we had.

Stidham has a lot of potential. He was misused at Baylor and Auburn, so I wouldn't rely on his college tape

Can you elaborate on that ? I am not disagreeing at all but curious what you mean by misused.

Can you elaborate on that ? I am not disagreeing at all but curious what you mean by misused.

3 things we learned from Bleacher Report's feature on Jarrett Stidham | Boston.com

Stidham then transferred to McLennan Community College in Waco, Texas, and sat out for a year before making the move to Auburn. One Big 12 conference coach who tried to recruit him thought he was going to get lost in their system.

“We recruited him when he left Baylor, and we kept telling him he can’t go to the SEC and play at Auburn or Florida,” the coach told Bleacher Report. “Neither one of those teams had any recent history of throwing the ball with any kind of efficiency. Our pitch was simple: You’ll be a first-round pick in the NFL here in this offense. You’re going to get lost there.”

I hope Stidham is good, but I think Pats fans have been so spoiled for so long that they don't grasp how bad QB play can really get, or how often guys who look like they have "a lot of potential" turn out to be COMPLETE DISASTERS at the NFL level

My expectations are incredibly low right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes