PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome to the Patriots Damien Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.
This kid reminds me of Ray Rice (on the field).

Maybe the Pats start running a lot more 2 RB sets (not including Devlin) White and Burkhead have already shown the ability to be major receiving threats - if Harris and Mitchel can catch 25+ balls each the Pats can really create some significant match up problems.

I like this pick more and more as time goes in. Particularly within the context of our new Gronk-less and possibly TE-less offense. Not to say we will never run TEs out there but if it isn't going to be a difference maker position then you need the ability to do other things well. Harris is as proven as any RB in this draft and a safe solid option.

If the solution the Pats believe works best is that we need more running ability to partially make up for not having Gronk I would agree that isn't a bad idea. Also Sony will miss games again and you don't want to be in the situation you were in last year. Particularly with Burkhead probably unable to play 16 games.

Good player, safe player, solid pick. He instantly becomes the 2nd best runner on your team and improves those snaps. Hopefully it allows White to be a full time pass catcher and not have to run much. He's too important to the passing game and the less he runs the more he can catch.

Last edited:
Isn't Burkhead freeing up 3 million if we cut him?

Could use that money to swing a trade for TE and DT and we upgrade at RB at the same time.

Could use that money to swing a trade for TE and DT and we upgrade at RB at the same time.
Yes but dead cap is $3m. Do we really not want any production/insurance from that sunk cost?

Cutting him next year makes a lot more sense

Yes but dead cap is $3m. Do we really not want any production/insurance from that sunk cost?

Cutting him next year makes a lot more sense

Just a thought, I could also see him stick around for another year. But either way we got a very talented RB in Harris who will help us have a great running game.

It’s $500k more to cut him prior to June 1 than to keep him, or only $500k in savings to cut him after June 1. They would get a cap credit in 2020 if he signs with another team and offsets some guaranteed salary.

We've been trained to dislike taking a RB too early, but this was a solid pick. It's not sexy, but Harris really fits the mold for a Patriots RB. Can play in all situations. Run, pass block, catch, and contribute on ST. By all accounts is a smart player with a good football IQ and character. I was a little meh at the time the pick was made because I felt there were more pressing needs, but the more I read about him and digested it all, the more I like it. Good player and seemingly an excellent fit.

I love this pick and was not surprised at all, I mentioned a few times in the months pre-draft that I wouldn't be surprised if we took a RB again, high in the draft.

We spent too many years with a poor backfield with jags and washed up guys, last year we got a solid talent in Michel and that improved the running game a lot. Ok most of the work is done by the OL but still talent is talent. Having this kind of player in the field can make you snag a win you had no business having and that can be the difference between HFA or not.

What I'm mostly happy though, is another thing that I've been saying for years. All the players drafted so far, are players that will be on the field on Sunday. We can be happily surprised with some of them, a little disappointed with others, but they are all kind of bust-proof and will contribute to the team. That's how you rebuild and rejuvenate the team, in rounds 2 and 3, and to some extent 4th. Stop taking those players that never see the field or become "ST's aces" when you can get those after the 4th round. Stop taking those players with huge upside if they translate well into the pros but that are not rock solid on the foundantions, I'd rather have these kind of players that you know what they can do and if they become something better awesome, if not, just that known production is good. And they will be on the field sunday doing NFL work, block, running, catching passes.

It was pointed out on Twitter that we had Cordarelle Patterson play a game at RB last year. I’m fine with adding depth.
Wow, I knew Pats were banged up at RB early on but had forgotten just how bad it was.

Love this pick; we needed a RB with exactly this skillset. Michel and Burkhead usually got the job done in short yardage, at least when it counted, but they never made it look easy. I want to see Harris get most of the rushing snaps Burkhead normally would. Plus, when Michel misses time again, we've got a guy who could probably step in better than anyone else on the roster.

Woke up still liking this draft. Also liking Harris even more. Ruins the fantasy value of Michel;) but damn, to have fresh backs pounding the rock all game long is going to be very exciting.

When your QB is 42 years old can never have enough good RBs

This might be my favourite of our picks. Harris is a bell cow running back and could easily have gone 40 picks higher. Absolute steal at 87.

You can never have too many running backs. Especially as Burkhead and Michel have shown a propensity to get hurt. We can keep Sony and Harris fresh in games and then run it down the oppositions' throats in the 4th quarter.

Love the Harris pick too really no nonsense runner who turns it up inside and can bounce it outside also. Harris have upside as a Receiver and will spell Sony quite well. Speaking of Sony he Excells with another similar RB. Fun Fact Sony and Harris will both be FA Four years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes