Pick Results: DET: 16% at NE: 84%

Sun
Oct 9th
Current Patriots Twitter Feed:
Status
Not open for further replies.

captain stone

Hall of Fame Poster
I don’t know what schemes he will use, but he’s got faster, more athletic defenders to scheme with. While the offense has yet to fire on all cylinders, the defense without Hightower, Van Noy and Jackson has been more effective and will likely improve as well.

Did you mean Jamie Collins here?

borg

Pro Bowl Player
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
2021 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
I love Meyers - I think he's a great player, and he's developing into a solid WR - much like we saw from JE in the early part of his career.
Edelman was a non-factor during his 1st four seasons... 69 catches combined (21 catches in Year 4)
To label Meyers "developing into a solid WR" completely ignores the reality that he has been NE's most trusted and most productive WR for 3 seasons (including this season) with 181 receptions in 3 full seasons + 2 games this season.
A key difference that doesn't really show up on the stats you shared - JE got open a lot - Meyers is making some good catches, but he's very rarely got separation JE had like 500 YAC per season vs 200 for Jakobi.
Disagree
Meyers gets good separation; he just lacks any explosion to turn it up field.
It certainly can be argued teams play off of Meyers because they don't fear him post catch. Let NE play 'move the chains" offense and wait for Mac & Co to wobble/self destruct.

Edelman benefitted from quick strikes from Brady, with the average catch 7 yds down field.
Mac to Meyers is less quick strike with Meyers often coming back for the ball. Average catch 9 yds down field.
Maybe it doesn't matter how you get your yards if statistically they end up similar
Statistically identical 3rd down WRs who each average 11 yds/catch

They're also used a lot differently in the offense even if they both played the slot... so i'm not sure how much we can tell by comparing their stats.
It could be argued Edelman ran higher % routes, catching passes from an all-time great.
Yet Meyers catch rate is a tick better while running slightly deeper routes and catching balls from an inferior QB

Sciz

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
JPP isn’t signing until next week, so old friend Brandon Copeland might get called up from the PS to be their #3 OLB. With lacking depth on the edge and all their CBs playing through injury, it looks like we might see last year’s Bucs gameplan all over again, 46 passes and 7 runs.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter

Potential mismatch sunday:

Wise

6’5”
275 lbs.
35 5/8” arms

Mekari

6’4”
305 lbs.
31 5/8” arms

Mekari is an interior OL filling in for Stanley at LT. For reference Wynn is undersized obviously & has 33 3/8” arms. I would not run to that side if I was the ravens.

Bruins29

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
I love Meyers - I think he's a great player, and he's developing into a solid WR - much like we saw from JE in the early part of his career.
At this pace at the end of this year he would be clearly the #7 all time reception leader for Patriots WR. Has been solid to excellent out of the gate (from his rookie season) and could not ask more from him, especially when you consider the investment.

venecol

The FRG has a little ****
2022 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
Jim Pignatiello: Ravens — The Baltimore defense couldn’t slow down Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle last week in a 42-38 loss to the Dolphins. The Patriots don’t have anyone like that on their roster.

The only possible WR that can take the top off their secondary is Agholor but he's far from a Hill/Waddle type.

One-If-By-Sea

In the Starting Line-Up
Jim Pignatiello: Ravens — The Baltimore defense couldn’t slow down Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle last week in a 42-38 loss to the Dolphins. The Patriots don’t have anyone like that on their roster.

The only possible WR that can take the top off their secondary is Agholor but he's far from a Hill/Waddle type.

It will be nice to have Thornton back, but he probably will not see the field a lot. But he is a different type.

Jim Beankie

2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Agholor's top speed in 2020 was 21.72mph on a 57yd reception. Waddle's last year was 21.8mph on a 57yd reception. Assuming Agholor's finally healthy, I think he's close to the Waddle level as far as speed's concerned (not close to the same talent level, though, and that's probably what you meant). Mac just needs to hit him in actual stride (no deceleration) for once.

sb1

Hall of Fame Poster

Bit of a risky comment by BB for obvious reasons but I think he was careful enough to step close to the line without going over it. I'd love to think BB would say this thinking about the role the Ravens and Harbaugh had getting draft picks stolen from the Patriots a few years ago and helping drive Lamar's price up for them.

Also no way Lamar is coming here other than as a visitor. Pipe dream.

Jim Beankie

Bit of a risky comment by BB for obvious reasons but I think he was careful enough to step close to the line without going over it. I'd love to think BB would say this thinking about the role the Ravens and Harbaugh had getting draft picks stolen from the Patriots a few years ago and helping drive Lamar's price up for them.

I think it's a Chess move, but it probably won't matter. Media will start asking Lamar about BB's contract comment and that might distract him internally or get him to attempt to play beyond his capabilities (or the opposite and shut it down and be far from a risk taker if he's hurting - thinking about that sleeve during practice).

Reactions: sb1

Hyped

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter

I thought the same when I saw that BB commented on Jackson's contract negotiations....

Hope the Ravens are forced to give him DeShaun money...they should...he has been a MVP and plays in the same division...oh and isn't suspended.

Reactions: sb1

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
If the Ravens ever let Lamar Jackson hit the open market, you better believe a LOT of teams will line up to pay him TOP dollars.

I doubt he'd accept anything less than Patrick Mahomes money. BB might have done Jackson a solid by shining a spotlight on that contract situation. I'm sure Ravens GM is not pleased.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
So, Dugger and Meyers may have practiced some today. I have a feeling they'll both be inactive, though. Bourne, Henry and Smith REALLY need to step up. They should have a field day against the Ravens defense.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
So, Dugger and Meyers may have practiced some today. I have a feeling they'll both be inactive, though. Bourne, Henry and Smith REALLY need to step up. They should have a field day against the Ravens defense.
Don't forget Parker, Matty P hasn't. He's likely to see another 50 snaps. Can he do better than a goose egg though? I thought we got rid of that N'Keal Harry guy... but the new guy in the #1 jersey is doing his best NKH impression! LOL

mikey m

I have plenty of confidence in Agholor and Bourne. Parker and Humphrey not so much at this point. Good thing we have one of the great offensive minds to sort things out if Meyers can't go.

Status
Not open for further replies.