PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Week 14 Other games (Pats on a bye)

It’ll take a while…I suppose I can do it when I get a chance. The point I guess I was making is that I expected the league MVP to perform better against the better teams, especially with the kind of offense Tampa has.

Pretty common for MVP winners to tread water against great teams and dominate against bad ones.

In those games you cited, Brady is 4-1, 2 of the 3 INTs were against Dallas on a Fournette drop/bobble and a hail mary. But the biggest thing: all four wins against quality teams came on game winning drives in the closing minutes.

They’ve averaged just about 30 ppg in those five games with only one legit interception. The defense has allowed 27.6 ppg in those five games. 4-1 record. They’ve scored (and needed) over 30 in every one besides the Patriots.

Also, Buffalo, New England, and LA Rams have 3 of the 5 best secondaries in the league, if not the top 3.

Couldn't have asked for a better TB v Buff game. 1. Buff lost. 2. A potential SB rival got knocked down a peg. 3. Both teams had to expend extra playing time (OT). 4. Entertaining game (second half).
The icing on top is the Patriots main rivals, the Bills, yet again tried so hard and got so far but in the end it didn't even matter.

Pretty common for MVP winners to tread water against great teams and dominate against bad ones.

In those games you cited, Brady is 4-1, 2 of the 3 INTs were against Dallas on a Fournette drop/bobble and a hail mary. But the biggest thing: all four wins against quality teams came on game winning drives in the closing minutes.

They’ve averaged just about 30 ppg in those five games with only one legit interception. The defense has allowed 27.6 ppg in those five games. 4-1 record. They’ve scored (and needed) over 30 in every one besides the Patriots.

Also, Buffalo, New England, and LA Rams have 3 of the 5 best secondaries in the league, if not the top 3.

This is the biggest reason I think MVPs most of the time don't win the SB. Their numbers are gaudy against crappy teams and average/pretty good against the quality ones. Once the MVPs get into the playoffs, they obviously face the cream of the crop teams/defenses. After all, the MVP is all about who gets the most TDs and yards and fewest INTs.

1-5 against teams with a winning record. 0-6 in one-score games. That's not a MVP resume.

It’ll take a while…I suppose I can do it when I get a chance. The point I guess I was making is that I expected the league MVP to perform better against the better teams, especially with the kind of offense Tampa has.

No. You should expect the League MVP to perform better than everyone else performed against the same team.

No. You should expect the League MVP to perform better than everyone else performed against the same team.
Back to the Tampa forum.

Won't take long. Just passing TDs against each of those teams divided by number of games. I'll do it.

We all know the Bears are going to lose this game even up 10 right?

This is the biggest reason I think MVPs most of the time don't win the SB. Their numbers are gaudy against crappy teams and average/pretty good against the quality ones. Once the MVPs get into the playoffs, they obviously face the cream of the crop teams/defenses. After all, the MVP is all about who gets the most TDs and yards and fewest INTs.

I’d say:

1. Coincidence
2. What you said (the QB is often carrying a bigger burden, too)

Won't take long. Just passing TDs against each of those teams divided by number of games. I'll do it.

Alright go for it, for "quality teams," i used the teams that are currently in the playoffs if they were to start today.

Here it is.

Passing Touchdowns Per Games (Passing Defense)

Couldn't have asked for a better TB v Buff game. 1. Buff lost. 2. A potential SB rival got knocked down a peg. 3. Both teams had to expend extra playing time (OT). 4. Entertaining game (second half).
The icing on top is the Patriots main rivals, the Bills, yet again tried so hard and got so far but in the end it didn't even matter.
Linkin' Park....you slipped it by everybody else but...I'm hip Joe Kerr

It's interesting. Tampa lost to every winning team last year except GB. Lost to Saints twice and lost the division and then went on that amazing post-season run.

They appear to be a better team this year on offense especially but the secondary has had so many injuries. If they can get healthy over the next few games, they will be more dangerous this post-season. But of course making a run is always a supreme challenge.

I’d say:

1. Coincidence
2. What you said (the QB is often carrying a bigger burden, too)

It's a helluva coincidence dating back to 1999. It happened 3x in the 90s and even more common in the 80s.

Brady should get the MVP now, but here's a breakdown of his stats against quality teams vs non-quality teams this year:

quality teams (Dallas, LAR, NE, Indy, and Buffalo) - 8 TDs, 3 Ints (1.6 TDs/game)

non-quality teams - 28 TDs, 7 Ints (3.37 TDs/game)

Ok so Passing TDs per game against Dallas, LAR, NE, Indy and Buffalo by the whole league are - Average 1.3 by the League. Brady average 1.6/game

Against all other opponents (Falcons, Dolphins. Eagles, Bears, Saints, WFT, Giants, Falcons again) - Average 1.81 average by the League, and Brady average 3.5 per game.

So his outperformace is bigger against poorer teams yes, but he's still outperforming against everyone else who played those guys in both cases.

Last edited:
Ok so Passing TDs per game against Dallas, LAR, NE, Indy and Buffalo by the whole league are - Average 1.3 by the League. Brady average 1.6/game

Against all other opponents (Falcons, Dolphins. Eagles, Bears, Saints, WFT, Giants, Falcons again) - Average 1.77 average by the League, and Brady average 3.37 per game.

So his outperformace is bigger against poorer teams yes, but he's still outperforming against everyone else who played those guys in both cases.

I meant I wanted to see a break down of good QBs and their numbers vs quality/non quality teams. And like I said, the list of quality teams should include all teams that are currently in the playoffs if they were to start today.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back