PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We need Coordinators, what do we do??

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgssand

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Assuming we lose Eric Mangini, we have two coordinator roles to fill.

What BB guys are out there that might be considered for both the offensive and defensive positions.

Maybe an older coach that wont be leaving us as soon as a HC job becomes available? Maybe someone in the professional or college ranks that have ties to Belichick.

Defense - Maybe from within, Pees, Pepper? Maybe someone from the outside, Ryan, what other Belichick guys are around?

Offense, do we promote from within with say McDaniel or do we look in a different direction and bring in a Fassell or even a Martz (stop laughing and consider the possibility of a Martz with our offense, without him having to try to manage a game), maybe some coach from the Belichick tree are around. We need to find someone that can keep the basics of the offense as I hate to see a complete new system and changing Brady at this point - but more so, someone that can execute and improve what is in place.

Last edited:
fgssand said:
Offense, do we promote from within with say McDaniel or do we look in a different direction and bring in a Fassell or even a Martz (stop laughing and consider the possibility of a Martz with our offense, without him having to try to manage a game)

I see your point, but I don't like Martz as our OC. I know that he flourished in STL under Vermeil, but I see two problems if he became our OC... 1) I don't think Dillon would be an ideal fit in his system and 2) I see BB overruling him a lot on key calls and a potential offensive power struggle.

Bob G

I don't think McDaniels being named OC would be a promotion, simply making the job official.

fgssand said:

What BB guys are out there that might be considered for both the offensive and defensive positions.

Maybe an older coach that wont be leaving us as soon as a HC job becomes available? Maybe someone in the professional or college ranks that have ties to Belichick.

Defense - Maybe from within, Pees, Pepper? Maybe someone from the outside, Ryan, what other Belichick guys are around?

Offense, do we promote from within with say McDaniel or do we look in a different direction and bring in a Fassell or even a Martz (stop laughing and consider the possibility of a Martz with our offense, without him having to try to manage a game), maybe some coach from the Belichick tree are around. We need to find someone that can keep the basics of the offense as I hate to see a complete new system and changing Brady at this point - but more so, someone that can execute and improve what is in place.

BB is a guy who like to develop coaches...but it is very difficult when other teams desperate for a branch from your tree come calling way before the fruit even gets a chance to ripen.

"The Patriots announced the addition of Joseph Shmoe as a 1st year coaching intern....in other news the Jets have said they would like to interview Shmoe for their open HC position."

I keep waiting for Josh McDaniels to get an interview to be a head coach ;)

bobgeorge said:
I see your point, but I don't like Martz as our OC. I know that he flourished in STL under Vermeil, but I see two problems if he became our OC... 1) I don't think Dillon would be an ideal fit in his system and 2) I see BB overruling him a lot on key calls and a potential offensive power struggle.

Bob G
I mentioned Martz a few monthe ago, but I've heard he'll hold out for an HC job. Ego is a funny thing, once you decide you have one, it's hard to give up regardless of the facts. Hard to say if BB will reach out or stay in house. Right now he doesn't seem too enthralled with anybody.

Doesn't it seem strange that no one ever comes to the great Colts team looking for a HC?

I wouldn't assume Mangini is gone just yet. And while I know some hereabouts believe it's in vogue to blame the coordinators (or even the HC) regardless of extenuating circumstances, rememner folks BB wasn't hatched from an egg. Coaches are developed over a number of seasons. BB has a lot invested in Mangini and some in McDaniels. He's not going to go outside his own tree and deal with a coordinator who doesn't understand him or his system or the Patriot way. It is what it is so to say.

Besides, if we execute the system wins Lombardis. Look to the players (and random crappy luck where injuries are concerned) for at least half of the problems this season. The players and coaches do.

The Gr8est said:
Doesn't it seem strange that no one ever comes to the great Colts team looking for a HC?

Unfortunately their only viable candidate is under contract through 2009 for $98M. Besides which he's not that good.

MoLewisrocks said:
Unfortunately their only viable candidate is under contract through 2009 for $98M. Besides which he's not that good.
I hear he has problems with delegating responsibility.:D

Last edited:
The Gr8est said:
BB is a guy who like to develop coaches...

Exactly...BB would never allow some ex-HC, with whom he has no prior connections, to come here and dictate one side of the playing field. Martz and Fassel have their own personal agendas w/ no loyality towards BB or the Patriots.

I am still not convinced that Mangini is gone. IMO that would be a very stupid move for him.

Offensive Coordinator - I think it will be status quo, Josh McDaniels.

BB has got to be very careful not to put to much responsibility on Brady. Or for that matter, control how much Tom tries to take on himself. we all should learn from the disaster in Indy as to what can happen when one player takes on too much. A strong offensive coordinator is a must for our future success!!

MoLewisrocks said:

I don't know. He's got some leadership issues and likes to throw his players under the bus.

Willie55 said:
I am still not convinced that Mangini is gone. IMO that would be a very stupid move for him.

Same here. Why on earth would he want to coach the Jets? He couldn't be that desperate for a HC job. The problems with the Jets are well documented; a crappy owner, an over-zealous GM, salary cap problems, no QB, no RB, no O-line, no WR's, no secondary, NY's second team, NY media, etc.

There's a general consensus that this is Mangini's team once BB retires. He should decline the Jets and wait for another opening or BB's departure.

hodgey said:
BB has got to be very careful not to put to much responsibility on Brady. Or for that matter, control how much Tom tries to take on himself. we all should learn from the disaster in Indy as to what can happen when one player takes on too much. A strong offensive coordinator is a must for our future success!!

So is an offensive line that effectively pass blocks so that Tommy isn't eating so much dirt and effectively run blocks also so Tommy isn't eating dirt so often. Not that Tommy would ever say so, 'cause that would be throwing his metaphors under the bus. No QB in their right mind does that....;)

From what I heard, BB wants to talk to Mangini about the Jets so he knows about they way they work before he takes the job.

Has anyone heard any rumorspress reports as to what went down in Foxboro this morning?

fgssand said:

I am betting that Rob Ryan will be with the Pats in some capacity most likely as DC. Just a thought Norv Turner as OC would not be the worst choice. He is a horrible Head Coach but is a good OC.

Willie55 said:
Offensive Coordinator - I think it will be status quo, Josh McDaniels.

I agree. Dont think EM will leave and McDaniels was being groomed this year to officially take OC duty next year. But if EM does leave early, here comes a name to be laughed at, but when thought about, would make a great DC...Wandstat(sp?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes