PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Gave Up A 2nd Round Pick For Sanu

Status
Not open for further replies.
The scouting reports regarding Harry are unfortunately coming true.

"Team sources call Harry not real twitchy or explosive. They worry about how he is not fast in and out of breaks and don't see suddenness. Some sources said that Harry reminded them of Ole Miss wideout Laquon Treadwell, who is currently headed toward bust status for the Vikings. Some other sources say they are grading Harry on the second day of the 2019 NFL Draft. One team source said they originally planned on grading Harry in Round 2, but were lowering him to the third round."

In comparison read Deebo Samuels scouting report

"As a receiver, Samuel is impressive. His speed and play-making skills with the ball in his hands eclipse that he is a really talented wideout. He runs good routes and consistently uses his speed to achieve separation. Samuel is very dangerous on quick slants and running go routes down the sideline. Samuel is very adept at tracking the ball in the air and plays it well. He high points the ball and times his hands nicely to make catches over defensive backs. Samuel has soft hands and catches the ball with his hands naturally. He is also an aggressive receiver who isn't afraid of contact.

What really sets Samuel apart is how dangerous he is with the ball in his hands. He has excellent vision to weave around defenders and can use his speed to rip off yards in chunks. He has quick feet along with the cutting ability to stop-start or stutter step, and a strong frame to run through arm tackles. When the ball hits Samuel on the run, he is a big problem for defenders because he is tough to grab in the open field with his shifty moves. Samuel has enough speed to run away from defenders and take a catch the distance. Samuel is superb on screens and jet sweeps to race through the defense.

Samuel looks very versatile for the NFL. He could line up as an outside receiver and play the X - split end - to challenge teams vertically. Samuel also is dangerous out of the slot and could be a tough receiver to defend on underneath routes. With his size and speed, Samuel also could take some carries out of the backfield. On top of his offensive skills, Samuel is a dynamic returner who should contribute on special teams. In the 2019 NFL Draft, Samuel has a slim chance of being picked in the back half of the first round and probably will not get out of the second round if he makes it to Friday night."

We drafted this Harry over this guy?

Anyone can cherry pick scouting reports to make a disingenuous claim about a player 2 games into his career.

We get it, tonight was rough, you’re mad. No need to inundate the forum with a wall of text to try to make some dishonest argument.

He shouldn’t be playing if he’s that hurt. Doesn’t do anyone any good. Just keep playing on it, and never get it right the rest of the season...that makes little sense.

Can get our asses handed to us just as well while the rookies get some reps, work out some of the kinks, and then Sanu can come back as his normal self.

We gave up 2nd round picks for

Adrian Klemm
Bethel Johnson
Marquise Hill
Duane Starks
Chad Jackson
Terrence Wheatley
Ron Brace
Darius Butler
Jermaine Cunningham
Brandon Spikes
Ras-I Dowling
Tavon Austin
Aaron Dobson
Jordan Richards
Cyrus Jones
Duke Dawson
Jojuan Willams

the fact that he was even on the field makes him great value for a 2

I'm OK with Sanu in the slot. As was the case last year, Brady should have 3 targets over the middle, his favorite place to throw. He has Edelman, Sanu and White. These guys can have 20 receptions among them if necessary.

We need to have some separation from players playing outside: Dorsett, Harry, and Meyers. They can't ALL be invisible.

The scouting reports regarding Harry are unfortunately coming true.

"Team sources call Harry not real twitchy or explosive. They worry about how he is not fast in and out of breaks and don't see suddenness. Some sources said that Harry reminded them of Ole Miss wideout Laquon Treadwell, who is currently headed toward bust status for the Vikings. Some other sources say they are grading Harry on the second day of the 2019 NFL Draft. One team source said they originally planned on grading Harry in Round 2, but were lowering him to the third round."

Why does this org suck so bad at drafting recievers? We couldve had Keenan Allen over Dobson and Metcalf over Harry. The one time we strike gold with Malcolm Mitchell he had to retire due to knee problems. I really hope Harry improves.

Why does this org suck so bad at drafting recievers? We couldve had Keenan Allen over Dobson and Metcalf over Harry. The one time we strike gold with Malcolm Mitchell he had to retire due to knee problems. I really hope Harry improves.

Maybe looking for the wrong attributes in guys. Still too early to tell if Harry is a bust but it ain't looking good. A 1st round WRs should have the ability to beat guys on physical talent alone. Instead we have guys who can't get any seperation.

I'm OK with Sanu in the slot. As was the case last year, Brady should have 3 targets over the middle, his favorite place to throw. He has Edelman, Sanu and White. These guys can have 20 receptions among them if necessary.

We need to have some separation from players playing outside: Dorsett, Harry, and Meyers. They can't ALL be invisible.
Don’t let Sanu’s 14 yards fool you. He’s offering nothing to the team aside from being a good blocking WR. And this was James White’s first game since week 7 where he had more than four catches. It would be reasonable to expect 12-15 catches from this group.

Anyone can cherry pick scouting reports to make a disingenuous claim about a player 2 games into his career.

We get it, tonight was rough, you’re mad. No need to inundate the forum with a wall of text to try to make some dishonest argument.

I’m not going to criticize Harry at this point, but it is not fair to say it’s a dishonest argument. Plenty of people here were pointing out his lack of ability to get separation when he was drafted.

We were under the gun to give Brady someone to throw to, and overspent on Sanu.

What’s really worrying is N’Keal Harry. 1st rounder and cannot separate. You gotta be able to beat 1 on 1 man to man in this league.

He couldn't separate in college either. He was a jump-ball guy. Problem is Tom doesn't like making those 50-50 jump-ball throws. Throughout his whole career I've only seen Tom throw those 50-50 balls to Moss or Gronk. To the rest he says show separation or we'll rely on the scheme to create a mismatch.

Why is he playing then? Why?

Is this your first season following football ? Have you never seen a player who is clearly hobbled try to tough it out ?

I mean the way that he has been used since the injury happened and compare it how much of a fit it was against the Ravens on the inside tells u all you need to know.

I don't get the point of this thread. We gave up a first for Harry and a second for Ras I Dowling too, what exactly do people think that second round would get us next season when we need a WR this season?
By the way, I am also not sold that it is all the receivers fault either. Why is it that the only receivers that can succeed in this offense are otherworldly talents like Moss, Gronkowski, or Brown and everyone else turns into a pumpkin?

Reactionary take at best. He’s been here only a few weeks and got hurt quickly.

By the way, I am also not sold that it is all the receivers fault either. Why is it that the only receivers that can succeed in this offense are otherworldly talents like Moss, Gronkowski, or Brown and everyone else turns into a pumpkin?

Because otherworldly talent to create separation by yourself is a cheatcode to get open without having to learn to use leverage, technique and above all understand the all the intricacies of the offense. It is a shortcut.

That Orlowski clip of how Dorsett missed Brady's sign just tells you all you need to know. We will never know what happened exactly. Maybe Dorsett missed the handsign, maybe he misremembered what adjustment Brady tried to communicate given how many of those you have to keep in mind.. who knows what actually happened..

But if a 3 year vet is still screwing up some of those I am not surprised that e.g. Meyers routinely ends up in the wrong spot. And if you don't have the physical attributes to win against NFL level DBs consistently by yourself -- and only the elite players have that -- this is not a great combination.

Because otherworldly talent to create separation by yourself is a cheatcode to get open without having to learn to use leverage, technique and above all understand the all the intricacies of the offense. It is a shortcut.

That Orlowski clip of how Dorsett missed Brady's sign just tells you all you need to know. We will never know what happened exactly. Maybe Dorsett missed the handsign, maybe he misremembered what adjustment Brady tried to communicate given how many of those you have to keep in mind.. who knows what actually happened..

But if a 3 year vet is still screwing up some of those I am not surprised that e.g. Meyers routinely ends up in the wrong spot. And if you don't have the physical attributes to win against NFL level DBs consistently by yourself -- and only the elite players have that -- this is not a great combination.
Exactly - if our receivers are too stupid to get the scheme then we shouldn’t be drafting them and if nobody is smart enough to get it other than those with enough talent to not even need it then what’s the point? I am done blaming receivers, to me it is now more on coaching and communication.

Maybe looking for the wrong attributes in guys. Still too early to tell if Harry is a bust but it ain't looking good. A 1st round WRs should have the ability to beat guys on physical talent alone. Instead we have guys who can't get any seperation.

He’s known in college to be the physical wr that can outmuscle college dbs for contested balls, he’s not a separation guy. He’s more like a sanu, but nfl dbs are different and it was a total fail on the int by Harry.

As for Sanu, he’s a career #2 ,#3 wr. I said it before, as had many others, a second round pick was too high. He a good wr though, just not a game breaker.

Looked great against BAL and the 1st quarter against PHL. He hasn’t been right since he turned his ankle.

Sanders may have been the superior option.
Look up high ankle sprain on net...very painful....amazed he’s playing .....Gronk had one and was OUT for weeks....this guy is a tough bastid playing with shot up ankle...and the fans are still ripping him....smh

Nothing is working in the offense, hard to analyze anything. Sanu is a #2 and in a functional offense he can be very good. Our offense is trash right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes