PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Gave Up A 2nd Round Pick For Sanu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sanu makes the Burgess trade look great in retrospect. I hated this trade the moment I heard it. Sanu has always been mediocre. Really he is a poor man's Brandon LeFell.

Yeah, I think it's time to change the team philosophy when it comes to wide receivers. It has been long overdue. Back in 2004, defenses were very physical and you had to outsmart them; you could win games by winning the turnover battle and just needed to avoid mistakes. It's 15 years later and things have very much changed. Does anyone here think Antonio Brown is a smart guy? Of course not. FOOTBALL smart? Such a dumb, made-up term. Basically, it just means you so damn talented that you know how to beat a defense, and usually a veteran like AB or Moss can be plenty "football smart" as soon as they step onto the field. AB came to New England and Brady did cartwheels. He's the "athletic, dumb" player that isn't supposed to work out in New England. Gordon picked up the system in like a week...hmmm...another guy who is extremely athletic and gifted physically, also understands the mental aspect? No, this is just BS.

Let's face it: this idea of some guy coming to New England who has some kind of sixth spider sense or who sees the football field like Will Hunting, has become comical. You have quarterbacks in 2019 who produce at a high level and throw very few interceptions with their "dumb, athletic receivers."

Gronkowski covered up so many warts when it came to New England's passing game, and Edelman (after the team just failed to notice for FOUR years that he could be good) then emerged. During this time there was still all kinds of problems in finding the right fit; LaFell was, I guess okay, but they moved on from him. Dorsett is a big disappointment overall. Cooks was a one-year mistake/maybe call it a wash; clearly they were hoping he'd be the long-term answer. Lloyd was a terrible fit. Sanu is beyond terrible...he's in a new territory of suck that you can't describe.

This system is no longer worth it if it's so complicated that they can't find anyone to run the routes correctly. I've been saying this four about three years now. A new offensive coordinator who can simplify the system is long overdue. Brady may be extremely smart, but that doesn't really get him anywhere without having talented receivers who can beat man coverage.

In hindsight, as disappointing as they were, guys like LaFell and Lloyd (both with approx. 75 catches, 1000 yard seasons) looked like Jerry Rice compared to the guys we’re talking about now with Sanu and Dorsett.

Dorsett’s 3 year experiment in NE doesn’t total up to the numbers that LaFell and Lloyd put up in one season.

Potential solution to the Sanu Problem.

Renegotiate his contract down to 3million with incentives for 2020. With a fresh start from training camp onward with Brady or whomever we might see a more reliable better side of Sanu.
The 6.5 million salary is a non starter, but hate to dump him after less than half a season after BB donated the #23 pick in the second round for him.

I would release Dorsett though. In spite of being a nice guy he really did zero last year.

Renegotiate his contract down to 3million with incentives for 2020. With a fresh start from training camp onward with Brady or whomever we might see a more reliable better side of Sanu.
The 6.5 million salary is a non starter, but hate to dump him after less than half a season after BB donated the #23 pick in the second round for him.

Sunk cost fallacy. Release him.

I would release Dorsett though. In spite of being a nice guy he really did zero last year.
Interesting proposition, but to come through we’d need both of the following to happen:

—Sanu to actually improve enough to where the team would benefit from having him on the field.

—Sanu to agree to cut his salary in half, with some type of inclusion regarding incentives. If they were likely to be earned (LTBE) would this move even save that much money? I honestly don’t know, but my gut says probably not.

That 2nd rounder was spent on the gamble that we’d see enough of an improvement to the WR group that the Pats could compete at a high level and make a deep playoff push. That gamble obviously did not pay off, so I agree that they should move on and save the 6.5m.

I'm just disappointed I won't actually get to see someone's foot kicking his *** out of a door, like an actual, literal physical act of someone from the Patriots FO taking their shoe and kicking his rear end so that he falls to the other side of the door. I would take 5.5m and the satisfaction of watching that act take place if anyone from the Patriots org is monitoring this and cares about what their fans want.

Rewriting a contract to save money isn't difficult. Given his 2019 production, it really wouldn't be very hard to come up with NLTBE incentives. The trick is getting Sanu to agree.

Why would he sign for $3M? Belichick set his worth as a 2nd rounder, at $6.5M a year.
If Belichick cuts him, I suspect that someone else would play at least $3M plus incentives. Sanu was injured and asked to do something he was no capable of doing, being a #1 or #2 WR. Patriot fans may want Sanu cut. I suspect Sanu would be fine with that.

Also, Sanu isn't worth much in trade. The new team would need to pay compensation toe the patriots, and then renegotiate with Sanu. Better to wait until Bill cuts him, or at least until the team sees what WR's they add in the offseason, including the draft. If BB wants to use the cap space for someone else, he needs to cut Sanu.

Interesting proposition, but to come through we’d need both of the following to happen:

—Sanu to actually improve enough to where the team would benefit from having him on the field.

—Sanu to agree to cut his salary in half, with some type of inclusion regarding incentives. If they were likely to be earned (LTBE) would this move even save that much money? I honestly don’t know, but my gut says probably not.

While Rex Ryan is a buffoon, I laughed at this when he was talking about our receivers and how Brady needs an upgrade.

“Mohammed Sanu was slow 8 years ago...and they go trade for him?

“N’Keal Harry is big, slow, and can’t run routes...looks like a backup TE”

Moss was passionate about upgrading the WR also.

While Rex Ryan is a buffoon, I laughed at this when he was talking about our receivers and how Brady needs an upgrade.

I agree with Rex Ryan’s assessment of Patriots receivers.

I hated Sanu when he was coming out in the draft. I remember a lot of people were mocking him to the Pats because he went to Rutgers. I thought I was wrong, but once Sanu got here, I was completely right about his suckage. Sure you look great playing opposite Julio Jones, but without a big time WR on the other side, Sanu is useless.

I had high hopes for Harry, but it is clear now that he can't get open, has way too many drops, and simply doesn't have a clue as to how Brady wants him to adjust his routes. He just doesn't get the Pats system, and I doubt he ever will.

AB looked more at home after 3 practices that harry or Sanu did all year. So it cant be that hard, unless anyone here thinks AB is a genius.

Brady has been haunted by a less than stellar WR group for years. The loss of Gronk can not be understated.

Dorsett is a complete waste of a roster spot.

So basically the Pats have Edelman and nothing else. Edelman needs someone to threaten the outside, so he can be effective over the middle on choice routes. You saw in the last SB that one guy really can't cover him.

I think the only way Brady comes back is if Gronk does. Imagine what could have been this year if the Pats had Gronk, AB, and Edelman. Malcom Mitchell (who only played a handful of games) is the only WR the Pats have drafted since Givens and Branch to look like he belonged in the NFL.

This years draft is loaded at WR, maybe the Pats can get a great WR in the second round with the 56 pick, oh wait, nevermind, they have already used that pick on Sanu!

Take the 6.5 mill and use it for the first year cap hit on a long term contract on a good wr

Why would Sanu renegotiate? He has pretty good leverage in the fact that they gave up a second round pick for him and we really have no other receivers besides Edelman.

Yeah that's kick in the Gut especially coming from Rex Ryan... but we cannot honestly say he ain't right. Of all the years to crap the bed on a First Round WR.:rolleyes:

Why would Sanu renegotiate? He has pretty good leverage in the fact that they gave up a second round pick for him and we really have no other receivers besides Edelman.

The guy is not even worth an incentive 3Mill$ contract imo.

I hated Sanu when he was coming out in the draft. I remember a lot of people were mocking him to the Pats because he went to Rutgers. I thought I was wrong, but once Sanu got here, I was completely right about his suckage. Sure you look great playing opposite Julio Jones, but without a big time WR on the other side, Sanu is useless.

I had high hopes for Harry, but it is clear now that he can't get open, has way too many drops, and simply doesn't have a clue as to how Brady wants him to adjust his routes. He just doesn't get the Pats system, and I doubt he ever will.

AB looked more at home after 3 practices that harry or Sanu did all year. So it cant be that hard, unless anyone here thinks AB is a genius.

I remember saying much the same thing months ago

"The Pats system is too hard for WRs to pick up"

Antonio Brown picked it up in a week :confused:

If he doesn't renogotiate he could be cut and the team that picks up may not want to pay him even 3 million

Did Mohammed Sanu suddenly fall off a cliff? Because he's always been a solid NFL wide receiver. Period.

His last 3 seasons plus his 2019 time with Atl, for example:

2016: 81 targets, 59 receptions, 72.8%, 653 yds, 11.1 ypc
2017: 96 targets, 67 receptions, 69.8%, 703 yds, 10.5 ypc
2018: 94 targets, 66 receptions, 70.2%, 838 yds, 12.7 ypc
2019: 42 targets, 33 receptions, 78.6%, 313 yds, 9.5 ypc
TOTAL: 313 targets, 225 receptions, 71.9%, 2507 yds, 11.1 ypc

Then with NE: 47 targets, 26 receptions, 55.3%, 207 yds, 8.0 ypc

There was NO reason whatsoever to think that Sanu was anything but a solid solid NFL wide receiver. Not a game-breaker. Not the next Randy Moss. Not anything truly special, but absolutely, 100% a solid NFL WR.

Then he comes to NE and his performance completely falls off a cliff. What are the possible explanations for this?

1. He truly hit the wall in his career, and it just so happened to coincide with the exact moment he arrived in New England.

2. NE's system is so complex that even though he'd been successful in two different systems, with two very different quarterbacks, that he simply could not pick up NE's system.

3. He got hurt and his physical ailments negatively affected his performance.

4. The QB throwing him the ball was not as good as the QB throwing him the ball previously.

What are you guys going to say is the answer, because Sanu was absolutely a good wide receiver in the NFL prior to arriving in New England.

Yeah, I think it's time to change the team philosophy when it comes to wide receivers. It has been long overdue. Back in 2004, defenses were very physical and you had to outsmart them; you could win games by winning the turnover battle and just needed to avoid mistakes. It's 15 years later and things have very much changed. Does anyone here think Antonio Brown is a smart guy? Of course not. FOOTBALL smart? Such a dumb, made-up term. Basically, it just means you so damn talented that you know how to beat a defense, and usually a veteran like AB or Moss can be plenty "football smart" as soon as they step onto the field. AB came to New England and Brady did cartwheels. He's the "athletic, dumb" player that isn't supposed to work out in New England. Gordon picked up the system in like a week...hmmm...another guy who is extremely athletic and gifted physically, also understands the mental aspect? No, this is just BS.

Let's face it: this idea of some guy coming to New England who has some kind of sixth spider sense or who sees the football field like Will Hunting, has become comical. You have quarterbacks in 2019 who produce at a high level and throw very few interceptions with their "dumb, athletic receivers."

Gronkowski covered up so many warts when it came to New England's passing game, and Edelman (after the team just failed to notice for FOUR years that he could be good) then emerged. During this time there was still all kinds of problems in finding the right fit; LaFell was, I guess okay, but they moved on from him. Dorsett is a big disappointment overall. Cooks was a one-year mistake/maybe call it a wash; clearly they were hoping he'd be the long-term answer. Lloyd was a terrible fit. Sanu is beyond terrible...he's in a new territory of suck that you can't describe.

This system is no longer worth it if it's so complicated that they can't find anyone to run the routes correctly. I've been saying this four about three years now. A new offensive coordinator who can simplify the system is long overdue. Brady may be extremely smart, but that doesn't really get him anywhere without having talented receivers who can beat man coverage.

Never thought I’d miss LaFell’s .01 yards after catch. At least he caught the damn ball lol

Did Mohammed Sanu suddenly fall off a cliff? Because he's always been a solid NFL wide receiver. Period.

His last 3 seasons plus his 2019 time with Atl, for example:

2016: 81 targets, 59 receptions, 72.8%, 653 yds, 11.1 ypc
2017: 96 targets, 67 receptions, 69.8%, 703 yds, 10.5 ypc
2018: 94 targets, 66 receptions, 70.2%, 838 yds, 12.7 ypc
2019: 42 targets, 33 receptions, 78.6%, 313 yds, 9.5 ypc
TOTAL: 313 targets, 225 receptions, 71.9%, 2507 yds, 11.1 ypc

Then with NE: 47 targets, 26 receptions, 55.3%, 207 yds, 8.0 ypc

There was NO reason whatsoever to think that Sanu was anything but a solid solid NFL wide receiver. Not a game-breaker. Not the next Randy Moss. Not anything truly special, but absolutely, 100% a solid NFL WR.

Then he comes to NE and his performance completely falls off a cliff. What are the possible explanations for this?

1. He truly hit the wall in his career, and it just so happened to coincide with the exact moment he arrived in New England.

2. NE's system is so complex that even though he'd been successful in two different systems, with two very different quarterbacks, that he simply could not pick up NE's system.

3. He got hurt and his physical ailments negatively affected his performance.

4. The QB throwing him the ball was not as good as the QB throwing him the ball previously.

What are you guys going to say is the answer, because Sanu was absolutely a good wide receiver in the NFL prior to arriving in New England.

#2.

Similar to Harry. Harry was a playmaker in college who averaged 75 catches for 1000+ yards. I understand college is different but a playmaker, who was considered the top 1-2 WR in the draft doesn’t all of a sudden not know how to play the game. The issue has to be the system, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes