PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Way too early (now right on time) draft board

I think if I was picking for the Pats in the top 10 I'd have Jamal Adams and Soloman Thomas at the top of the list. I realise that Chung currently sits in Adams' potential starting roster spot but he'd replace Richards on the roster, would be an awesome special teamer as he learns the defense and would replace Chung as starter after a year learning the defense.

I think so too. I think one of the safeties goes in the top 5, and one will fall closer to 10.

I think it will probably be hooker who falls, but I think if it came down to hooker or Thomas, I am probably taking Thomas.

I think if I was picking for the Pats in the top 10 I'd have Jamal Adams and Soloman Thomas at the top of the list. I realise that Chung currently sits in Adams' potential starting roster spot but he'd replace Richards on the roster, would be an awesome special teamer as he learns the defense and would replace Chung as starter after a year learning the defense.

I agree with thomas and adams. I have a feeling that thomas is going to be a consistent pro bowl type of player. Im hoping somehow he slides to us.

I like adams as well, but if he and hooker are still available who would you take (assuming we have an earlier pick from trading JG)?

I agree with thomas and adams. I have a feeling that thomas is going to be a consistent pro bowl type of player. Im hoping somehow he slides to us.

I like adams as well, but if he and hooker are still available who would you take (assuming we have an earlier pick from trading JG)?

It was Hooker but I'm back on Adams now - the guy is an absolute terror. Take Adams and then Tedric Thompson later. I realise Thompson has issues in the run game, but I'd be playing him 15 yards back from the LoS anyway and Adams can tackle enough for the two of them (in some cases literally judging by his highlight reel :) )

I have said this before but when I watch Texas a&m games it is hall not garret that pops on film. Unfortunately hall is a bit of a banana and always bruised or dinged.

I absolutely love Humphrey at CB. I doubt he makes it out of the top 15 though.

I also like jones CB of Washington, but I doubt he gets to 25.

Harris, walker, takarritt of ucla or taco will be there at #32. Does bb take one? I don't think so. I think he pulls the trigger on reddick or mccaffrey if he does trade the pick.

Takk might have the most upside of any rush guy even tho he forgets he has hands, arms for stretches.

Takk might have the most upside of any rush guy even tho he forgets he has hands, arms for stretches.

Technique can be taught and the patriots are masters of teaching technique. What can not be taught is size and passion. And taco has those two already.

@OJ

Think we might be talking about two different players?

I'm talking about Takk McKinley not Taco.

Updates. No order within tiers though i have my preferences.

1-16 range top picks

Barnett - DE
Allen - DT (a chance he drops to 12 now.. maybe)
Lattimore - CB
Humphrey - CB
Jones - CB
Davis - WR

17-32

Charlton - DE
Thomas - DE
Harris - DE
Q. Wilson - CB
Tankersley - CB
Lamp - G
McKinkely - Edge
TJ Watt - Edge
Hassen - LB
Davis - LB
Ross - WR
Njoku - TE
Howard - TE

33-48

Walker - DE
Lawson - DE
Brantley - DT
Tabor - CB
Awuzie - CB
White - CB
D. King - DB
Baker - S
Engram - TE
Cunningham - LB
Anderson - LB
McMillan - LB
Budda Baker - FS
Brantley - DT
Kupp - WR

49-64

Lewis - CB
Conley - CB
Sutton - CB
Obi Melifonwu - SS
Tedric Thompson - SS
Jordan Willis - DE
Smoot - DE
Everett - TE
McDowell - DT
Henderson - WR
Westbrook - WR
Ford - WR
Williams - WR
Mixon - RB
Perine - RB
McCaffrey - RB

3rd

Hendrickson - DE
J. Johnson - DT
Roberts - TE
Shaheen - TE
Leggett - TE
Sprinkle - TE
Pocic - C
Eifien - C
Karama - RB
Jackson - CB
K. King - CB
Zay Jones - WR
Peppers - S

Lots of changes in the last month. Free agency happened and that changed draft needs somewhat. This will probably be my 2nd to last update with this board. I am actually trying to make it smaller and deeper.

Updates. No order within tiers though i have my preferences.

1-16 range top picks

Barnett - DE
Thomas - DE
Allen - DT
Lattimore - CB
Humphrey - CB
Davis - WR

17-32

Charlton - DE
Thomas - DE
Q. Wilson - CB
Tankersley - CB
Lamp - G
Hassen - LB
Njoku - TE
Howard - TE

33-48

Harris - DE
Walker - DE
Lawson - DE
Tabor - CB
Awuzie - CB
White - CB
D. King - DB
Engram - TE
McKinkely - Edge
TJ Watt - Edge
Davis - LB
Cunningham - LB
Kupp - WR

49-64

Lewis - CB
Conley - CB
D. King - DB
Jordan Willis - DE
Rivers - DE
Everett - TE
McMillan - LB
Henderson - WR
Westbrook - WR
Williams - WR
Perine - RB

3rd

Hendrickson - DE
J. Johnson - DT
Roberts - TE
Shaheen - TE
Anderson - LB
Pocic - C
Karama - RB
McCaffrey - RB
Jones - CB* injured
Sutton - CB
Jackson - CB
K. King - CB
Zay Jones - WR
Ford - WR

4th

Leggett - TE
Sprinkle - TE
Butt - TE* injured
Smooth - DE
Hall - DE
Phillips - DE
Shaquill Griffin - CB
Eifien - C
Tanoh Kpassagnon - DL
Amara Darboh - WR
Taywan Taylor - WR
Alex Anzalone - LB

I am not a great evaluator of OL players so i left them off. There is my current board. A few changes from the combine by i try not to change too much cause of it. I plan to hit at least 5th round depth players before the draft.

Last edited:
Tons of work goes into these boards. I really appreciate seeing the process, as well as the finished product. Thanks for sharing!

McCaffrey behind Perine? I hope that's related to what the Pats need (ie big back) because I wouldn't be able to understand it otherwise.

Final board. This is one I am going into the draft with along with other boards here of people I respect the opinion of a lot.

1-16 range top picks

Barnett - DE
Thomas - DE
Allen - DT
Lattimore - CB
Humphrey - CB
Davis - WR

17-32

Charlton - DE
Thomas - DE
Awuzie - CB
Lamp - G
Hassen - LB
Njoku - TE
Howard - TE
Davis - LB
Ross - WR

33-48

Harris - DE
Walker - DE
Tabor - CB
Q. Wilson - CB
White - CB
D. King - DB
Engram - TE
McKinkely - Edge
TJ Watt - Edge
Cunningham - LB

49-64

Lewis - CB
Conley - CB* (off field issues IDK if i leave him on anymore)
K. King - CB
D. King - DB
Tankersley - CB
Lawson - DE
Jordan Willis - DE
Rivers - DE
Everett - TE
Obi Melifonwu - S
McMillan - LB
Kupp - WR
Westbrook - WR
Williams - WR
Perine - RB

3rd

Hendrickson - DE
J. Johnson - DT
Shaheen - TE
Anderson - LB
Pocic - C
Karama - RB
McCaffrey - RB
Jones - CB* injured
Sutton - CB
Jackson - CB
Henderson - WR
Zay Jones - WR
Ford - WR

4th

Leggett - TE
Sprinkle - TE
Butt - TE* injured
Smooth - DE
Hall - DE
Phillips - DE
Eifien - C
Kpassagnon - DL
Taywan Taylor - WR
Anthony Walker - LB

5th

Corn Elder - CB
Shaquill Griffin - CB
Howard Wilson - CB
Amara Darboh - WR
Roberts - TE
Fuller - C
Tedric Thomas - S
Alex Anzalone - LB
Kendell Beckwith - LB* Injured

Last edited:
McCaffrey behind Perine? I hope that's related to what the Pats need (ie big back) because I wouldn't be able to understand it otherwise.

I just don't like McCaffrey as a prospect that much. I have on more than 1 occasion compared him to Reggie Bush and I think that is the path his career will take. Mark my words Perine will have a better career and McCaffrey.

McCaffrey will be nothing but a 3rd down back who sees 10 snaps a game for the first 5 years of his career (he needs to grow into a man's body like Bush did to be able to give you more and that just takes time with guys that size).. That is not good enough for a first round pick or even second round pick.

They try to force him to do more than that they will injure him cause he is just way to small too take that kind of contact. Just my opinion on the guy.

Last edited:
I just don't like McCaffrey as a prospect that much. I have on more than 1 occasion compared him to Reggie Bush and I think that is the path his career will take. Mark my words Perine will have a better career and McCaffrey.

McCaffrey will be nothing but a 3rd down back who sees 10 snaps a game for the first 5 years of his career (he needs to grow into a man's body like Bush did to be able to give you more and that just takes time with guys that size).. That is not good enough for a first round pick or even second round pick.

They try to force him to do more than that they will injure him cause he is just way to small too take that kind of contact. Just my opinion on the guy.

Well we're entitled to our opinions of course and, of course, I respectfully disagree. Barring injuries, McCaffrey will be a 1,000-1,500 all purpose yards back year on year in my opinion. He's just too good to fail.

The Bush-McCaffrey comp is a good one (and I see that it's been made by others).

OTOH, if McCaffrey can put up the combined rushing/receiving/return yards and TDs in his first three seasons that Bush did in NOLA, he'll have out-produced the majority of first-round RBs drafted since Bush was.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back