PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WaPo: "Bill Belichick is unchanged, at the peak of his dynasty and at its end"

Patjew

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
Maybe you misinterpreted my post... Maybe you didn't and I misunderstood yours... Let me try to be clearer

You knew what you had in 2000... Same guy you have in 2023... Same guy who kept this franchise humming for 20 years.

Fundamentally BB has not changed the way he coaches... this should not be a surprise to anyone.

Guy is rock solid as far as I am concerned. If he is here next year, I'm good with that. Make a few tweaks in the scoutíng program/player eval, bring Josh back ànd lets roll .

That's my "so?"
I am re-hiring a guy in the Philippines for the third time... he should change his name to Josh.

RobertWeathers

Member of the Seattle 7 & Roadie for Metallica
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
I don't harp too much on the Cleveland years for BB's legacy. He was not ready to be a head coach at the NFL level back then. It is what it is. Could probably say the same about Pete and his stint in NE in the 90's and he turned out all right.

I think Bill learned a lot from those years and he was much better off for it.
Why wasn't he ready?

He took a 3-13 Browns team and with a cash-strapped owner trying to move the team, without free agency and a washed up, entitled franchise QB to 11-5 and the #1 defense in the NFL four years later. Seemed ready to me.

I'll agree he needed some more seasoning (see make the rough edges a little duller) as a HC but he was absolutely ready to build a team and organization into a winning one.

Steve102

Any Man Who Must Say I Am The King Is No True King
PatsFans.com Supporter
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Why wasn't he ready?

He took a 3-13 Browns team and with a cash-strapped owner trying to move the team, without free agency and a washed up, entitled franchise QB to 11-5 and the #1 defense in the NFL four years later. Seemed ready to me.

I'll agree he needed some more seasoning (see make the rough edges a little duller) as a HC but he was absolutely ready to build a team and organization into a winning one.
The prevailing thought process is that Modell got rid of him, therefore he was a bad HC.

RobertWeathers

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
The prevailing thought process is that Modell got rid of him, therefore he was a bad HC.
...and for anyone who is using Modell's actions as a standard HCs should be held to doesn't know Art Modell's history.

PatsFan2

Hall of Fame Poster
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Volin lol. Someone send him a fake DM again?

April fools??
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Family

In the Starting Line-Up
Reactions
Don't see how.
How is it fiction? I can link to articles form the 90s with Kosar showing his dissatisfaction. This is well-known.

How is Kosar's dissatisfaction relevant to anything? The Browns went on to have success, with Kosar's replacement, Vinnie T., actually winning a playoff game for them. What happened to Bernie after this? Did he ever win another game for any team? Bellichick's choice went on to lead multiple teams to multiple playoff wins, while Kosar was completely done. So how is this a negative to Belichick? It's part of his greatness that he was willing to pull the plug despite the fan base ignorance. I'm sure Bledsoe was dissatisfied too.

Family

In the Starting Line-Up
Reactions
Why wasn't he ready?

And the management infrastructure he left there presided over multiple Super Bowl wins for the franchise.

Steve102

PatsFans.com Supporter
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
How is Kosar's dissatisfaction relevant to anything? The Browns went on to have success, with Kosar's replacement, Vinnie T., actually winning a playoff game for them. What happened to Bernie after this? Did he ever win another game for any team? Bellichick's choice went on to lead multiple teams to multiple playoff wins, while Kosar was completely done. So how is this a negative to Belichick? It's part of his greatness that he was willing to pull the plug despite the fan base ignorance. I'm sure Bledsoe was dissatisfied too.
History shows that Belichick was correct in pulling the plug on Kosar. Any attempt at re-writing that history is an attempt to discredit BB.

StrawHatPatriot

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reactions

History shows that Belichick was correct in pulling the plug on Kosar. Any attempt at re-writing that history is an attempt to discredit BB.
The point is that he installed a system that didn't fit the QB, and had issues with him. He was right to go to a different QB eventually, but before then it led to their offense being anemic for the first 3 years. And it's happened again the past 1 year and a half.

Steve102

PatsFans.com Supporter
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
The point is that he installed a system that didn't fit the QB, and had issues with him. He was right to go to a different QB eventually, but before then it led to their offense being anemic for the first 3 years. And it's happened again the past 1 year and a half.
Except Kosar was done, and Mac is on year 3 and just sucks.

Family

In the Starting Line-Up
Reactions
The point is that he installed a system that didn't fit the QB, and had issues with him. He was right to go to a different QB eventually, but before then it led to their offense being anemic for the first 3 years.

Have you looked at the numbers?

There was no system Kosar could run at that point.

Patjew

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
Which is why there are so many attempts to rewrite it
That's right. What BB did in Cleveland changed the NFL and NCAAF for the better to this day.

Modell was a piece of garbage.

That does not mean that Bill is perfect now. I think he should hang 'em up. But the people disparaging his legacy make me want to puke. They are so naïve and myopic and childish and are on the wrong side of history. Or maybe just dumb and mean.

RobertWeathers

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
Not accurate.

Bernie was on the downslope when Bill got there.

StrawHatPatriot

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reactions
Not accurate.

Bernie was on the downslope when Bill got there.
Bernie was declining I agree. I'm speaking to how Bill handled things initially. Kosar had little mobility but Bill was calling bootlegs and plays that didnt fit him. According Kosar at least.

It'll be like if Reid forced Alex Smith to throw downfield knowing full well Smith isn't great at that. Yes, Smith needed to go. But Reid still made it work with him in the meantime.

RobertWeathers

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
Bernie was declining I agree. I'm speaking to how Bill handled things initially. Kosar had little mobility but Bill was calling bootlegs and plays that didnt fit him. According Kosar at least.

It'll be like if Reid forced Alex Smith to throw downfield knowing full well Smith isn't great at that. Yes, Smith needed to go. But Reid still made it work with him in the meantime.
Keep in mind Bernie called his own plays which was why Bill cut him.

Patriots News 3-3, Jackson Released, Salary Cap Grows 
Saturday Morning Notebook 3/2: News and Notes
Patriots Part Ways With CB J.C. Jackson
Friday Afternoon Patriots Notebook 3/1: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 2/29: News and Notes
Wasting Their Time? Bill Belichick’s Final Year Ends With a Poor Grade by NFLPA
Wednesday Afternoon Patriots Notebook 2/28: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s 2024 Combine Press Conference 2/28
Tuesday Afternoon Patriots Notebook 2/27: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Director of Scouting Eliot Wolf’s Press Conference 2/27