Next Up: vs Dolphins
Pick Results: MIA: 0% at NE: 0%

Sun
Sep 12th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

betterthanthealternative

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Completely unrelated story here. But this exchange reminds me of a time I got a yellow card pulled on me in high school volleyball. We were unabletodefeat (0-9) versus the top undefeated school in the division (9-0). I wanted that game bad. On one play I went up to block against the other team's strongest hitter. Rather than slam the ball like he was fully capable of, he just tipped it right over my hands, out of reach to block, and it fell for what must've been 10 seconds of hang time right behind me for a point. (I guess that's why he was the best player on the best team, kid had brains). I was pissed. I yelled at my back line for not covering me and slapped the bottom of the net. Teammate says "Dude calm down" and all I saw was red. I was like "CALM DOWN?! MFER I AM CALM. WHEN I'M NOT CALM I'LL BRING THE WHOLE DAMN NET DOWN" loud as hell clearly to be heard in this gym.

Yellow carded. I was proud of that moment. My coach gave me an end of year "Thanks for giving a ****" award because of it lol

Great sport. My son played on a public high school team that was the worst in the State of NH when they started and beat the perennial #1 team (private school, with all of the stereotypical behavior) in his senior year. He had the championship winning spike, playing on an ankle he had just twisted. It was the best moment he had in sports and my favorite as his parent.

But what's this got to do with people in Florida thinking that state borders are somehow relevant to public health policy? :)

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
I'm glad for every person I see who got it and commented to that effect, without exception, in part because however I disagree w/them, etc., no such disagreements are proportionate to the outcome of people getting a potentially nasty disease. So first and foremost, hey I felt great finally getting it, glad you guys did too, anybody reading who hasn't yet, feels great when you get it, and to everybody, I don't think "Woo hoo home free" just because I got jabbed. That would be silly.

I think @oldrover is right, that we won't get to herd immunity, and that the variants will have time to replace the original virus. It will continue to be a running battle between our medical tech and the virus.

(I thought that herd immunity became possible at roughly 70%, not 50%... if there's some actual hard and fast 50% number, maybe. Somebody tossed out the 50% number, I don't remember who.)

What it looks like is, we'll think about individual immunity as absolute, when it's substantial but not absolute, against getting bad symptoms, possibly not against getting/shedding virus, even for those smart enough to get a shot. So, we'll contract and shed the virus, although mass vaxination will diminish the harm from that, among "takers."

During the summer months, fewer people get very sick than during the "COVID Season." We will take chances while the chance-taking good, and people will say "See? I didn't need no stinkin' vaccine!" Then we'll be surprised when the variants affect us again when "COVID season" is here (although, we should all hope, not anywhere like the half-million lives lost in the US last season.)

Then people will say "See? Stupid vaccines didn't work!" Or maybe not, we'll see.

For folks who simply must live as if everything is fine, better that they do so when the warm weather is helping to discount these choices, and better to do it with a reduced chance of getting and shedding the virus, than at pre-vax chances.

A good way of looking at this is, rather than playing Russian Roulette with a 6-bullet revolver, now you're using this one, with still just 1 bullet in the gun.

Adding the mask etc. gives you more empties, as it did pre-vax. Others explained their choices. My preference is to come as close as possible to not playing. The difference is, with an infectious disease, in calculating your own chances, you are also weighing the damage you will do to others. It's like a guy who does 12 shots in an hour taking out his keys and announcing "It's my choice and I understand the risks. Now get out of my way, I need to get on the road."

Anyway, I'm happy for anybody loaded up on stocks that used to have lower value, but which, because of our present direction, have rebounded.

And I would love for all of this to be gone by the fall, just in case anybody thinks I dig this.

I don't think we return to "normalcy." But I also don't agree that the "point" of the shot is "normalcy." It's for people to stay alive, and to stop the spread of the disease. It would be great, in many ways, if that means "normalcy." But parts of "normalcy" might be gone now. E.g., mass work from home now has proof of concept. Are we screaming that we must all return to "normal," less flexible, work-life choices? Just an example.

Back to the purpose of the thread... Once again, it felt great to get my shot, and I figured that when others get or got theirs, they'd be happy too. Hence the thread.

A Defiant Goose

In the Starting Line-Up
Great sport. My son played on a public high school team that was the worst in the State of NH when they started and beat the perennial #1 team (private school, with all of the stereotypical behavior) in his senior year. He had the championship winning spike, playing on an ankle he had just twisted. It was the best moment he had in sports and my favorite as his parent.

But what's this got to do with people in Florida thinking that state borders are somehow relevant to public health policy? :)
I wish mine had as good of an ending. We got smashed in all 3 matches. Including like 25-12 by their third string. We sucked lmao

Oh and this has nothing to do with vaccines. It's just funny Ian came in and said "Calm down" and was met with "I AM CALM!!"

A Defiant Goose

In the Starting Line-Up
I never realized you could get a yellow card in volleyball. I used to go to games/matches all the time in high school. I guess maybe my eyes were too fixed on the girls’ asses in spandex to fully take in the rules.
Up until that point I didn't know either.

My coach should've listened to me. We had no home field advantage in the crowd. Told him we need to wear some booty shorts to get some asses in the seat

A Defiant Goose

In the Starting Line-Up
I'm glad for every person I see who got it and commented to that effect, without exception, in part because however I disagree w/them, etc., no such disagreements are proportionate to the outcome of people getting a potentially nasty disease. So first and foremost, hey I felt great finally getting it, glad you guys did too, anybody reading who hasn't yet, feels great when you get it, and to everybody, I don't think "Woo hoo home free" just because I got jabbed. That would be silly.

I think @oldrover is right, that we won't get to herd immunity, and that the variants will have time to replace the original virus. It will continue to be a running battle between our medical tech and the virus.

(I thought that herd immunity became possible at roughly 70%, not 50%... if there's some actual hard and fast 50% number, maybe. Somebody tossed out the 50% number, I don't remember who.)

What it looks like is, we'll think about individual immunity as absolute, when it's substantial but not absolute, against getting bad symptoms, possibly not against getting/shedding virus, even for those smart enough to get a shot. So, we'll contract and shed the virus, although mass vaxination will diminish the harm from that, among "takers."

During the summer months, fewer people get very sick than during the "COVID Season." We will take chances while the chance-taking good, and people will say "See? I didn't need no stinkin' vaccine!" Then we'll be surprised when the variants affect us again when "COVID season" is here (although, we should all hope, not anywhere like the half-million lives lost in the US last season.)

Then people will say "See? Stupid vaccines didn't work!" Or maybe not, we'll see.

For folks who simply must live as if everything is fine, better that they do so when the warm weather is helping to discount these choices, and better to do it with a reduced chance of getting and shedding the virus, than at pre-vax chances.

A good way of looking at this is, rather than playing Russian Roulette with a 6-bullet revolver, now you're using this one, with still just 1 bullet in the gun.

Adding the mask etc. gives you more empties, as it did pre-vax. Others explained their choices. My preference is to come as close as possible to not playing. The difference is, with an infectious disease, in calculating your own chances, you are also weighing the damage you will do to others. It's like a guy who does 12 shots in an hour taking out his keys and announcing "It's my choice and I understand the risks. Now get out of my way, I need to get on the road."

Anyway, I'm happy for anybody loaded up on stocks that used to have lower value, but which, because of our present direction, have rebounded.

And I would love for all of this to be gone by the fall, just in case anybody thinks I dig this.

I don't think we return to "normalcy." But I also don't agree that the "point" of the shot is "normalcy." It's for people to stay alive, and to stop the spread of the disease. It would be great, in many ways, if that means "normalcy." But parts of "normalcy" might be gone now. E.g., mass work from home now has proof of concept. Are we screaming that we must all return to "normal," less flexible, work-life choices? Just an example.

Back to the purpose of the thread... Once again, it felt great to get my shot, and I figured that when others get or got theirs, they'd be happy too. Hence the thread.
I am not against vaccines but I am against this weird need to display it and advertise it to everyone. Not pointed at you, just a life observation in general. It's just...weird

Kdo5

Pro Bowl Player
I’m going on vacation to SC this weekend. It will be interesting. I’m long since vaccinated but it still feels strange the idea of not wearing a mask when down there. I might do it anyway but I’m not concerned really since my family is also vaxed. So accustomed to it though.

Reactions: Ian

KontradictioN

Probably the nicest guy on the forum
PatsFans.com Supporter

This post is the actual purpose of the thread. Not the OP. I called that right out of the gates. Anyone could see that from a mile away. Out of respect for Ian combined with the fact that most of your takes on this topic haven’t aged well, I won’t bother to debate this. This thread can probably get locked now and tossed out with the rest of the Covid threads.

Ian

Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR
This post is the actual purpose of the thread. Not the OP. I called that right out of the gates. Anyone could see that from a mile away. Out of respect for Ian combined with the fact that most of your takes on this topic haven’t aged well, I won’t bother to debate this. This thread can probably get locked now and tossed out with the rest of the Covid threads.
We're good. But I agree, we don't need to debate it. "It is what it is" at this point, so I'm looking forward to being able to interact and support those who go through this as I'm sure I'll need my own words of encouragement when I'm feeling like crap for a few days when I hopefully clear this last hurdle.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Ladies and gentlemen, the amazing telepathic Kontra, who knows all! And now apparently Ian is to listen to his sage counsel to lock my thread, having spent 2 days goading me on it.

I stated my purpose in this thread, and I am glad to see folks who responded & are happy to have gotten the shot--pretty much as stated.

Your politicization notwithstanding, I'll be damned if I am somehow required to worry about what you think you "called," what you believe I'm allowed to post about, etc., while you are all over the map, beginning with your first response in this thread attempting to essentially "cancel" it by meme, then moving on to your statements about risk that are less than comprehensive, and your mistaken idea of the purpose of a mass vaccination campaign.

I prefer not to listen to your prattle at all, and have invited you three times -- including this time -- to leave the thread if you have nothing constructive to say. I talked here w Oldrover who has an interesting take. I think it's interesting that you have stated the choices you are making. I think it's fine to state the choices I am making, and frankly don't understand your call to lock my thread.

By the way, my take has been consistent and has aged quite well, thank you. I wish it had aged badly. If you don't remember, ask in PM, and I'll tell you what my signature line said.

Please do us both the favor of leaving the thread, Kontra, rather than calling for it to be canceled. You don't get to call "Thread over!" once you've spewed your agenda, so that others' options amount to silence, coddling your pronouncements; or cancellation of others' views, so that yours only can hold sway.

Rather, I think we should be able to at the very least celebrate getting our dang shot.

KontradictioN

PatsFans.com Supporter
Ladies and gentlemen, the amazing telepathic Kontra, who knows all! And now apparently Ian is to listen to his sage counsel to lock my thread, having spent 2 days goading me on it.

I stated my purpose in this thread, and I am glad to see folks who responded & are happy to have gotten the shot--pretty much as stated.

Your politicization notwithstanding, I'll be damned if I am somehow required to worry about what you think you "called," what you believe I'm allowed to post about, etc., while you are all over the map, beginning with your first response in this thread attempting to essentially "cancel" it by meme, then moving on to your statements about risk that are less than comprehensive, and your mistaken idea of the purpose of a mass vaccination campaign.

I prefer not to listen to your prattle at all, and have invited you three times -- including this time -- to leave the thread if you have nothing constructive to say. I talked here w Oldrover who has an interesting take. I think it's interesting that you have stated the choices you are making. I think it's fine to state the choices I am making, and frankly don't understand your call to lock my thread.

By the way, my take has been consistent and has aged quite well, thank you. I wish it had aged badly. If you don't remember, ask in PM, and I'll tell you what my signature line said.

Please do us both the favor of leaving the thread, Kontra, rather than calling for it to be canceled. You don't get to call "Thread over!" once you've spewed your agenda, so that others' options amount to silence, coddling your pronouncements; or cancellation of others' views, so that yours only can hold sway.

Rather, I think we should be able to at the very least celebrate getting our dang shot.
K.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter

I don't disagree with much of what you say, but the manner in which you say it is somewhat annoying.....you've made your point enough times where even people who agree with you may start to disagree

KontradictioN

PatsFans.com Supporter
I don't disagree with much of what you say, but the manner in which you say it is somewhat annoying.....you've made your point enough times where even people who agree with you may start to disagree
You actually read all that? I stopped at the first sentence. Anyway, back to the topic of the thread.

PFiV, I’d like to continue with what the stated purpose of the thread is. I won’t be leaving the thread. Perhaps it’s time to place me on your ignore list? Win/win situation, IMO.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
You actually read all that? I stopped at the first sentence. Anyway, back to the topic of the thread.

PFiV, I’d like to continue with what the stated purpose of the thread is. I won’t be leaving the thread. Perhaps it’s time to place me on your ignore list? Win/win situation, IMO.

sounds like you're up for an argument.......only that everything that can be argued about has been argued about......except the case of one Army Lt Caron Nazario......but I know that won't fly here

just not sure if there's value in local police pissing off active military

KontradictioN

PatsFans.com Supporter
sounds like you're up for an argument.......only that everything that can be argued about has been argued about......except the case of one Army Lt Caron Nazario......but I know that won't fly here

just not sure if there's value in local police pissing off active military
This is why we can’t have nice things.

1618256924271.jpeg

Steve:Section 102

A lion isn't concerned with the opinion of sheep

deer popcorn GIF

Ian

Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR
We're good. But I agree, we don't need to debate it. "It is what it is" at this point, so I'm looking forward to being able to interact and support those who go through this as I'm sure I'll need my own words of encouragement when I'm feeling like crap for a few days when I hopefully clear this last hurdle.
What part of this post would lead to people to think this needed to be like this...? Did I portray something that required this meltdown...?

Can we please get this thread back to a support thread and keep up with people who are getting it, etc.? Because honestly, this is pretty pointless and I don’t get why this has even gone down this road???

Ian

Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

Again, see my previous post. I already said we’re good, but we don’t need to debate it any further. Your premise of what it should be Is what I would now prefer to talk about.

Ian

Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR
tell me what to say.......when I come up with it myself, it gets deleted
The only two posts deleted of yours were you calling it “the Trump virus” and the “sometimes, things need to burn.”

Those are pretty self-explanatory.