PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vacarro signs with Titans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why in the world did we pick Pleasant over him?

The Pats needed a reserve SS who's also a standout STer. If Pleasant makes the 53, they'll be paying him the vet minimum for that role out of $8M in cap space. [EDIT: Pats have $7.5M in cap space now that the Decker signing has been made official.]

We'll need to wait and see how much the Titans, with $32M+ in cap space, are shelling out for Vaccaro.

Last edited:
Why in the world did we pick Pleasant over him?

Just because a player isn't signed once training camps start, it doesn't mean they can't be patient and wait for the best opportunity. Vacarro was expected to get paid this off-season but the safety market dropped considerably. If he's looking for another chance to get paid, going to a team with 3 veteran safeties that will certainly eat up a lot of his potential playing time doesn't exactly maximize his exposure.

A number 15 draft pick who earned $5.6 million last year playing for the Saints and coming off an ankle injury that put him on IR versus an undrafted player who was paid $1.1 million playing for Bill O'Brien for several years.

I expect Vaccaro was not taking the league minimum to play or has lingering injury issues, which is why he was likely on the market for this long. He was waiting for the desperate team, and found the Titans.

#Titans planned to bring in S Eric Reid, but multiple flight cancellations kept him from coming in. When interest picked up from others in Kenny Vaccaro, Tennessee felt they needed to move to keep from losing him. They had good talks with Reid & he remains an option down the road

Interestingly, the Titans also signed safety Jason Thompson today - originally a UDFA signed by the Pats in 2017.

A number 15 draft pick who earned $5.6 million last year playing for the Saints and coming off an ankle injury that put him on IR versus an undrafted player who was paid $1.1 million playing for Bill O'Brien for several years.

I expect Vaccaro was not taking the league minimum to play or has lingering injury issues, which is why he was likely on the market for this long. He was waiting for the desperate team, and found the Titans.
Not to mention vacarro can’t cover anyone.

Could he ever? Not sure what the hype ever was about this guy from fans around the league? Is it the last name? That a lot of draftniks liked him in the first round of their mocks 5 years ago? He hasn’t really done much to separate himself from other mediocre safeties in the league imo. I’m all for Pats bringing in competition and scheme fits, just dont think his price tag was anywhere close to what he really is.

When you have 30 million + in salary cap room(Titans), you can take risks on guys like Vaccaro.. less so when you have 7.5 million in cap space.

If you could put up with Reid’s political grandstanding, he was the much more complete safety. Vacarro, IMO, would do much better in a role like Chung has here.

...I expect Vaccaro was not taking the league minimum to play or has lingering injury issues, which is why he was likely on the market for this long. He was waiting for the desperate team, and found the Titans.

Probably money

Could he ever? Not sure what the hype ever was about this guy from fans around the league? Is it the last name? That a lot of draftniks liked him in the first round of their mocks 5 years ago? He hasn’t really done much to separate himself from other mediocre safeties in the league imo. I’m all for Pats bringing in competition and scheme fits, just dont think his price tag was anywhere close to what he really is.

When you have 30 million + in salary cap room(Titans), you can take risks on guys like Vaccaro.. less so when you have 7.5 million in cap space.
Wrong, wrong, wrong & wrong:

Kenny Vaccaro

Would you also call it wrong if Vaccaro felt going to a team that already has 3 safeties that command a lot of snaps wasn't the best way for him to try and cash in again next offseason?

One of those safeties turns 31 tomorrow. Another one turns 31 this coming Saturday. Vaccaro is 26.

I'm still not sure why the Pats woudn't have adjusted the snap count distributions to give Vaccaro more playing time than a guy like Richards, instead of relegating him (or one of the other three) to a mere reserve role. AFAIK, there's no rule against splitting the snaps for three positions more-or less evenly among four players. In 2016, Nink, Flowers, Long and Sheard were all within 2-3 snaps/game of each other - for two positions.

OTOH, I'd have to guess that Caserio and his staff weren't nearly as surprised as some of us fans at how little Vaccaro signed for, if they were surprised at all. I'd also have to guess that, if they'd felt that Vaccaro was a good fit with the team and might offer value as an eventual Chung replacement, they might've reached out. Maybe they did and we didn't hear about it. Maybe they didn't because they think he's not all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes