SOURCE:Boston.com

SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

SOURCE:Boston Sports Journal

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Tough Calls Ahead
Bill Belichick has some tough personnel decisions to make this offseason.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

USA Today article on schematic explanation why Butler got benched

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by luuked, Feb 8, 2018.

1. K. Dog

K. Dog PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +699
    I've been thinking more about this.

I see two cases.

Case 1. There is in fact a perfectly logical explanation for not playing Butler. Nobody outside Patricia and Belichick know what that explanation actually is, but it exists.

Case 2. The decision not to play Butler was in fact strategically incorrect AND it was made for illogical reasons, such as:
    i. Behavior-based cues - Butler seemed different in practice, or talked back, etc.
    ii. Not thinking through the effect on team chemistry and communication of sitting out Butler.
    iii. Discipline.
    iv. Wanted to surprise Philly.

If Case 2 applies, it's going to be next to impossible to recover from this. It will in fact go down as not only the worst mistake in Super Bowl history, but the most heartless. Like the interrogation of Buttle, "oops, our bad." Poignant since arguably Butler's whole career was sabotaged at the outset by a similar mistake (on his 40 time).

If case 2 applies, and is known to apply, it just isn't going to be possible to restore the trust and dedication the Patriots had counted on in past years. Slowly but surely, despacito, the Patriots become the Steelers.

If case 1 applies, then the situation is surprising but not such a big deal. On to 2018. However, if case 1 applies and some players believe case 2 applies, then again a big challenge.

Conclusion: I personally see no way out of this pickle.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2

2. Hercules Rockefeller

Hercules Rockefeller Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,260
    This post is dripping with lack of self-awareness. Nearly everything you write is self-congratulatory of a massive football acumen that you frankly have not demonstrated. You're very condescending, especially towards those pesky millennials which, to your credit, you haven't managed to wedge in a mention about in this thread. You mock people who post a lot here, and yet in the five weeks you've been on this board you've averaged over 30 posts per day. I'm sorry a millennial stole your girl or your promotion, but it might be time to stop barking at everyone else and take a look at what you're putting out here.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. PatriotsNumero1Fan

PatriotsNumero1Fan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,897
    It's already a big blunder in super bowl history. Listen you wanna sit him down then fine but you can bring him in at any given series and he didn't! Also the fact that they never did anything like blitz.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. K. Dog

K. Dog PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +699
    You might be right, but you might be wrong. We just don't know all the facts.

One thing we do know and that I think nearly anyone can agree on: this was a year unlike any other in the Belichick-Brady era. From the high-priced off-season signings, to the earthquake comments, to the Brady documentary, to the McDaniels drama, to the Garoppolo trade, to the Blount trade and reunion, and finally to the Butler benching.

5. PatriotsNumero1Fan

Ratings:
    +2,897
    Nothing's working and he decides to just sit him. Butler's capable of making a big play at any moment. You don't think butler on agholor would have helped? All they needed was a couple of stops in the second half. It's an asinine move. Rowe over butler as the second corner's not a smart move.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +36,504
    But, then, your point is a non-point, since you couldn't possibly have expected the Eagles to never have longer than 3rd and 3.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  7. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +36,504
    I haven't seen Bedard's article, since I never signed up for the site. So, I really can't tell you what he's thinking, sorry.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Chris Stevenson

Chris Stevenson 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,288

I simply don't care what your opinion is. Look! Another post to count (as if it means anything).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Stevenson

Chris Stevenson 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,288
    They probably should have sat him down on the bench in the Jax game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Soliel

Soliel 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,628
    The whole mess is truely unfortunate. I look at those stats and wonder. Do they complete 14-17 against butler? Doubtful

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. sean10mm

sean10mm Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +441
    This is one of those things where the front 7 players were so often out of position from biting on rudimentary fakes, and blew so many tackles right in front of them, that it's hard to evaluate anything else about the plan. If you can't execute the basics of your position the plan is largely irrelevant. I'm a skeptic of both the overall plan and the benching of Butler specifically, but if the front 7 could execute on the most basic level at any point in the game the Patriots win walking away. But of course they couldn't.

This isn't even a defense of the coaching, since you have to ask how they got clowned on so many basic plays after 2 weeks of studying the opponent, and you have to ask how the coaches couldn't get their front 7 to harden the *beep* up after 2 weeks to drill things like tackling and gap integrity into their skulls. For every genuinely "tricky" play the Eagles ran, they ran 20 simple play fakes that a high school kid would recognize.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. PatriotsNumero1Fan

Ratings:
    +2,897
    They would have lost then. He played very well in the second half.

• Like Like x 1
  13. zydecochris

zydecochris PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,577
    I think BB did have a clear reason of starting out the way he did, whether it was schematic, Butler's poor practices, or a combination of these.

And, as you say, normally no one is better than BB at changing strategy in real time when it isn't working. Why didn't he?

IMHO the reason he didn't change it this time was Butler's drama queen crying fit at the beginning of the game. For a coach that is all about being professional and "doing your job", I can't imaging anything that would piss him off more. If it hadn't been for that, I think BB would have changed strategy and at least seen what Butler could do (just like he did in the Seattle Super Bowl). After the crying fit in front of everybody, I think BB would have played Adam Butler before Malcolm Butler at cornerback.

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. IllegalContact

IllegalContact PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9,142

talk about projecting yourself

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. PatriotsNumero1Fan

Ratings:
    +2,897
    That's ridiculous. He went about it the wrong way. He should have started butler period. It's not surprising they went right after Rowe in the first drive.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. luuked

luuked Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +14,872
    My mistake I thought I saw you talking about a Bedard article a while ago. Sorry for the confusion.

17. luuked

luuked Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +14,872
    Seriously, if you can't make something not about Butler then stay out of other threads than the megathread. I am tired of your and other peoples speculation about what could have been taking over every ****ing thread here that tries to make sense of the game.

This is not about Butler or what he could have done but about what actually happened.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. SVN

SVN PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club

Ratings:
    +13,941
  19. pheenix11

pheenix11 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,263
    My problem is with Butler playing 0 snaps. Why not try this safety heavy scheme on 1st and 2nd down and then bring in Butler when they had to throw on 3rd and long? They killed us on 3rd down.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +36,504
    Butler's absence is an important part of what actually happened and, as I've already shown, the O.P. article was garbage.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1