PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Uh-oh. Looks like the NFL is seriously considering the 18/16 concept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrible idea, even by NFL idea standards.

Oh this is rich. What happens when you are in a playoff fight for your life at the end of the season but you have to sit Tom Brady (or if they exempt out the QB like they say they might here), or Julian Edelman, or Julio Jones, or your best corner (and you're going up against Brady or Brees) because he's reached his 16 game limit? This is going nowhere fast, except maybe as some kind of threat to get things to 18 games with no restrictions. The players should just agree and watch the owners squirm. The NFL doesn't know when to quit.

And here I thought the jump to conclusions mat was the worst idea I ever heard.

Jesus Mary Mother of God.....

How much thought do these people actually spend on hatching these hair-brained ideas? 5 minutes?

If the idjit owners have their hearts set on an 18-week season, then have an 18-week season season with every team getting 2 byes so each team plays 16 games. (Yes, I know, they want the extra 2 weeks of gate and so want 18 actual games per team.)

Can you imagine this? Top tier teams are suddenly facing only scrubs on a weekly basis becuase why play your best when you have a low chance of victory? You'll have your best teams forced-resting their players in Primetime games. Every top tier team will find itself exclusively playing backup quarterbacks.

For starters, if they want 18 games allow for PS players to be called up for games and not subject to the waiver rules we have today. I'd need to think about it more but it would be very similar to what the NBA, NHL and MLB have.

Can you imagine this? Top tier teams are suddenly facing only scrubs on a weekly basis becuase why play your best when you have a low chance of victory? You'll have your best teams forced-resting their players in Primetime games. Every top tier team will find itself exclusively playing backup quarterbacks.
Well, here's another reason this will go nowhere - everyone will sit their QB when they play the Patriots. Can't have that!

If this idiot scheme actually happens, I could see basically conceding your first two non-conference games by playing all scrubs to get it all out of the way. Then you can play the other games with the players you want playing as opposed to probably always having at least some person out you don't want to be out.

If the idjit owners have their hearts set on an 18-week season, then have an 18-week season season with every team getting 2 byes so each team plays 16 games. (Yes, I know, they want the extra 2 weeks of gate and so want 18 actual games per team.)

The 2 bye week plan has always been my thought on getting the schedule (really the TV contracts) to 18 weeks. Yeah, they wouldn't get the gate but the NFL isn't a gate driven league.

I can't even comprehend the roster management challenges that would come from this.

Are kickers and punters exempt? Or will there be spare kickers made available for when they have to sit?

More complexity benefits the Pats. BB does complexity better than the rest of the league. Nevertheless, this idea stinks on ice.

I guess I’ll always watch but damn do they make it hard sometimes.

Also, this would have the effect of injured players being assigned their sit out week/s when recovering. It would be an advantage for teams that build like BB (plan for injuries have better depth).

And think about the insults when you sit your star player(s) vs weak teams (not that any given team is extremely weak, but all relative).

Biggest reason to hate it (for me), is that Goondell is for it.

Another idea that ignores the paying fans completely...

I'm sure fans that will pays 150 $, per ticket, in the offseason to have the chance to see Brady play will be thrilled when Hoyer is named the starter because of a 16 games limit rule...

I would be OK with 18 weeks and two bye weeks....also reducing preseason to two games as well and starting the season on labor day weekend.

Just some crybabies trying to figure out how to (once again) level the playing field between the Pats and the rest of the NFL. When your team has the games greatest player of course the losers want to devise a rule to get him off the field. Duh....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes