PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade up to 1 - what would it take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
I hope the Pats try just for the laughs of watching the meltdown of NFL fans across the country.

Seriously though what would it take? By the draft value chart assuming the Pats again pick at #15 or so in the 2022 draft, the “fair” deal by draft value would be both our first and second this year and next year + a late pick in exchange for Jacksonville’s first this year. For sure other teams will be giving the Jags a call anyway so that might not do it. Maybe start by adding someone like Stidham or even Gilmore too?

Not saying they should do this but fun to speculate what it would take.

Last edited:
Generally a draft pick a year away loses one round in draft capital value. For example if Team A wants to trade out until next year, if they trade their 3rd round 2021 pick then they should expect a 2022 2nd round pick in return.

With that in mind when you look at a Draft Trade Value Chart, a 2022 1st is only worth a 2nd round pick on that chart.

I'm not seeing a feasible path where the math adds up, but hey - maybe Jacksonville is indeed that gullible (and gullible enough to believe the guy who could not pass Newton on the depth chart is worth something).

I think to get up to 1 it would take a Ricky Williams deal with multiple 1's added to get from around 15 (where I assume we are at right now). I am hoping we end up around 12 and maybe a guy they like is there around 7 or 8 and they trade up.

Reactions: sb1
Generally a draft pick a year away loses one round in draft capital value. For example if Team A wants to trade out until next year, if they trade their 3rd round 2021 pick then they should expect a 2022 2nd round pick in return.

With that in mind when you look at a Draft Trade Value Chart, a 2022 1st is only worth a 2nd round pick on that chart.

I'm not seeing a feasible path where the math adds up, but hey - maybe Jacksonville is indeed that gullible (and gullible enough to believe the guy who could not pass Newton on the depth chart is worth something).

Thanks. Then if that’s the deal maybe then they’d have to bundle someone like Gilmore in there to make the Jags listen.

Jags are getting Lawrence. Their team is very young and they need a QB upgrade the most. Why not just take a franchise guy like Lawrence?

If were the Jags, I'd ask the Pats for two 1s, two 2s, a 3, plus Dugger, Onwenu and Winovich and then listen while Bill says no thank you.

Id trade the whole draft this year for the #1 overall, but even that may not be enough .

From where we are likely to pick 13-16 you should be able to trade up to 7-10 if you want to.

It's not even worth discussing, it's not happening. If you want to talk about a different pick in the top 5 if they really like Fields, Wilson or Lance, that's different but we really screwed up winning against Baltimore and Arizona so our pick is way worse than it could be.

It would require the memes about Belichick being the Emperor to actually be true.

1609175527320.jpeg

I haven’t ruled it out yet.

Not gonna happen. But I am interested to see where menshew ends up and what the jags are able to get for him.

I think it's a possibility that he could trade up into the top 10, at least math wise, based on the value chart. I would be willing to take bets on him dropping out of 15 or where ever they end up and take a Trask/Jones type in the second round, and take the best player player available where ever they trade to in the first round. There's a decent amount of holes on the roster, so I think him dropping once or twice and stockpiling picks is a real possibility. Heads will explode here if he does. Imagine him dropping twice in rounds one or two and picking up draft capital in 2022.

Last edited:
It would take Belichick taking the Jaguars owners and GM’s family hostage at gun point
Out of the box thinking, I like it.
He'd dispatch Ernie to do it, though, and then fane pleasant surprise when Jacksonville called to offer the #1 for our #1 plus Stidham.

I think it's a possibility that he could trade up into the top 10, at least math wise, based on the value chart. I would be willing to take bets on him dropping out of 15 or where ever they end up and take a Trask/Jones type in the second round, and take the best player player available where ever they trade to in the first round. There's a decent amount of holes on the roster, so I think him dropping once or twice and stockpiling picks is a real possibility. Heads will explode here if he does. Imagine him dropping twice in round two and picking up draft capital in 2022.
Plus, there's this: https://scarletknights.com/sports/football/roster/2020?&sort=position

I'm as far as anyone can get from being knowledgeable about the ins and outs of NFL roster management, but as a general rule in any endeavor, is it ever a good idea to pour a bunch of resources into a single roll of the dice? Make a reasonable trade if any, and then just get BPA (yes, I know, BB the GM :p).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes