PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans
Search

Trade deadline thread

PATS16N0

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reactions
Maybe so. We’ll see. But they aren‘t making the playoffs either.
I wouldn’t count the Jets out yet. Their schedule softens from last week on significantly and they came out of their first six-game gauntlet at .500.

PatsFan2

Hall of Fame Poster
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Maybe so. We’ll see. But they aren‘t making the playoffs either.
I'm not making any bold predictions regarding another Team.
ally mcbeal GIF

Keyser Söze

In the Starting Line-Up
Reactions
We better be selling now. There is no excuse.

203Pat

Pro Bowl Player
Reactions

TomPatriot

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
I wouldn’t count the Jets out yet. Their schedule softens from last week on significantly and they came out of their first six-game gauntlet at .500.

I watched the Giants-Jets game after the Pats game. Both teams were pretty bad, but the missed kick and the QB injury won the game for the Jets.

Ross12

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
Maybe San Fran or Minnesota would like to give Mac a try. Bring back Trace McSorley who stinks but at least is not afraid of his own shadow. The ghost of Tony Eason.
Purdy looks like crap tbh. He is either regressing or the league has simply figured him out now that they have about a full season’s worth of tape on him.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reactions
Purdy looks like crap tbh. He is either regressing or the league has simply figured him out now that they have about a full season’s worth of tape on him.
Both. Purdy was never anything special IMO. A product of his team around him.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reactions
I would really hate to say goodbye to Dugger. But he gone next year so they might.
I actually do not think Dugger leaves.

He's exactly the type of player Bill would pay. (granted, if Bill's gone that becomes moot)

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reactions
Both. Purdy was never anything special IMO. A product of his team around him.
I'm a little biased on Purdy (went to the same school he did), but he's getting over scrutinized the last couple of weeks.

That defense has been pretty terrible the last couple weeks, they seemingly can't get off the field in any situation. It's also a pretty weak offensive line that he's been dealing with when Trent Williams is out. (we know how much that can affect QB play)

Obviously he's not good enough to put a team on his back, but I don't think that was ever a fair expectation to begin with. There's only 6-7 guys in the league at that level. You watch his full games, and he's still playing good games overall. He's just making some crippling bad throws in a few moments right now. Nothing we don't see from plenty of starting QB's from the league.

I think it's just a reaction to how late he was drafted, and the fact that his stats were extremely good up to this point, to a point where he was never going to sustain forever.

He's pretty much Jimmy G, and they're getting him on the cheap. There's nothing wrong with that.

pazrul72

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Way too much hand wringing for a traditionally nothingburger time of year. I’d expect at most we will see a Uche trade for a 4th. More then that just doesn’t happen at this point between having to have the cap space, get a new player up to speed with the playbook, and the concern that the new guy won’t be a fit for whatever reason. The patriots should be sellers, but the sad truth is they have no one worth selling. Maybe Trent Brown for a 4th? I’d make that trade but that is the most they are going to get so not worth getting worked up about.

Bourne Again Christian

Hall of Fame Poster
Reactions
Way too much hand wringing for a traditionally nothingburger time of year. I’d expect at most we will see a Uche trade for a 4th. More then that just doesn’t happen at this point between having to have the cap space, get a new player up to speed with the playbook, and the concern that the new guy won’t be a fit for whatever reason. The patriots should be sellers, but the sad truth is they have no one worth selling. Maybe Trent Brown for a 4th? I’d make that trade but that is the most they are going to get so not worth getting worked up about.
The reason we are not sellers is Bill wants to win.
In his mind draft picked be damned.
If we had a GM who wasn’t the HC fighting for job security here it would be a different story.
Only way this happens is if Kraft Nuts up.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reactions
we unfortunately just don't have anyone that would be able to fetch a high draft pick. Uche maybe could have last offseason, but he's not produced enough this year to get anything above a 4th.

Maybe a team gets completely desperate for OL help and gives up a 2nd/3rd for a guy like Brown/Onwenu. But I doubt it, and also doubt Bill wants to sell on the line. I don't think he's in a postition where he can afford tanking, contract reports be damned.

Brotherblues

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
It has become less of a nothingburger in recent years.

Per The Athletic: [From] Oct. 1 through the deadline, there were an average of 4.5 trades per season from 2013-16, then 8.5 from 2017-18 and 14.25 from 2019-22.

There's a definite upward trend as newer GMs are more bold about in-season acquisitions.

chasa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reactions
I don't think we have a single healthy player another team would make a legitimate offer on outside of Rhamondre Stevenson, And I'd rather keep him.

Ross12

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
I actually do not think Dugger leaves.

He's exactly the type of player Bill would pay. (granted, if Bill's gone that becomes moot)
I also think his position isn’t really one that is likely to be overpaid elsewhere so Bill’s approach of “see what’s out there then come back and talk to us again” works better. He’s a safety which is not a premium position, and he’s more of an in-the-box type safety than a free safety, which is even less valued. He’s definitely an impact player but brings less impact when he has to play too far outside of his role as we have seen recently when he’s needed to play more of a FS role. I doubt there will be any other team wanting to splurge on him.

Patriots Slater Calling It Quits After 16 Seasons
Patriots News 2-18, The Draft, Free Agency, and “The Dynasty”
MORSE: The Young Guns Patriots New Defensive Coaches
MORSE: Introducing the New Patriots Front Office
49ers Had a Chance, But Questionable Decisions Cost Them in Loss to Chiefs
Patriots News 2-11, Hightower Returns, Staff, Front Office Thoughts
Ranking The 57 Super Bowls From Worst To Best
Wolf’s Ascension Hopefully Will Help Patriots Fix One Key Problem Moving Forward
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #2 – Post College All-Star Games
Felger and Lombardi Interview: Two Sides Argue “The Laziest Narrative” on Belichick