PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top passing leaders in Pats history

Parilli and Grogan more int then td

Brady Bledsoe Eason more td then int

From on now we only get QB’s that’s last name starts with B or earlier. We went to N for a year and it didn’t work out

Unfortunately it is extremely difficult to compare quarterbacks that did not play at identical times. The stats lose context when the two played even just a decade or two apart.

Bledsoe versus Grogan is an interesting debate. Based on just the raw numbers, Drew had more passing yards, fewer picks and a lower interception percentage. However, Grogan threw more touchdowns, had a higher TD percentage, more yards per pass attempt, more wins as the Pats QB, and a higher winning percentage.

If comparing the player as a whole versus strictly passing leaders, one would also need to figure in his productivity as a runner - and his leadership/motivation attributes.

Parilli's numbers look awful by today's standards, but he was good enough to be an AFL All-Star (Pro Bowl) three times, and an All-AFL (All Pro) quarterback once.

If the question is changed to a ranking of the best quarterbacks in franchise history, then I would say:
  1. Tom Brady
  2. Steve Grogan
  3. Drew Bledsoe
  4. Babe Parilli
  5. Jim Plunkett

Where does Edelman, arguably the best AFCE QB this season, place in your list ?

Where does Edelman, arguably the best AFCE QB this season, place in your list ?
If we want to base our list on passing accuracy, Jules tops a list of thirteen Patriots with a 100% completion rate. Matt Gutierrez is the only quarterback in that group.

6-6: Julian Edelman
2-2: Mosi Tatupu, Don Westbrook, Jim Crawford
1-1: Jakobi Meyers, James White, Danny Amendola, Matt Gutierrez, Adam Vinatieri, Lee Johnson, Shawn McCarthy, Eddie Hare, Gino Cappelletti

Amendola is actually almost as prolific a passer as Edelman. In his career he is 3-3, having thrown a 28 yard TD pass for Miami in 2018, and a 19 yard TD with Detroit last year. He also has experience throwing the ball in the playoffs; Amendola was 1-2 for 20 yards for the Pats in the 2017 postseason.

Edelman and Meyers are two of four players in franchise history to have a perfect 158.3 passer rating; the other two are Mosi and Gino. Fifth on that list is Vinny Testaverde with a 137.5 rating on three passes in the 2006 season.

Edelman has more passing yards than Michael Bishop. Huh.
If I recall correctly the only playing time Bishop ever got (other than preseason) was to throw a Hail Mary at the end of the half or end of the 4th quarter. I always found that to be a bit odd, considering Bledsoe's ability to throw the long ball. I guess it was because Bishop could buy time for the receivers to get downfield with his feet, something Drew was incapable of doing.

I'm disappointed I'm a little too young to have seen Eason and Grogan play. My dad was a big fan of Grogan so he speaks of his "legend" at times.

Grogan was all heart, courage and desire, but very light on talent plus could not read defenses until very late in his career.

he led some of the most talented patriots teams of all times. He played behind some of the most talented offensive lines the organization has ever fielded. At one point, we surrounded grogan with some of the best the organization ever fielded at their position, Hannah, Francis, Nelson, Haynes, clayborn, gray, Sam bam Cunningham, Morgan, sugar bear Hamilton, Richard bishop, Julius adams etc etc etc.

But because grogan was a turnover machine, we never won anything.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed I'm a little too young to have seen Eason and Grogan play. My dad was a big fan of Grogan so he speaks of his "legend" at times.
I was fan of both as started to follows Patriots had them at qb

Eason more talent
Grogan a fighter

I liked both

Loved 1985 run still today...

If we want to base our list on passing accuracy, Jules tops a list of thirteen Patriots with a 100% completion rate. Matt Gutierrez is the only quarterback in that group.

6-6: Julian Edelman
2-2: Mosi Tatupu, Don Westbrook, Jim Crawford
1-1: Jakobi Meyers, James White, Danny Amendola, Matt Gutierrez, Adam Vinatieri, Lee Johnson, Shawn McCarthy, Eddie Hare, Gino Cappelletti

Amendola is actually almost as prolific a passer as Edelman. In his career he is 3-3, having thrown a 28 yard TD pass for Miami in 2018, and a 19 yard TD with Detroit last year. He also has experience throwing the ball in the playoffs, something Edelman has never done; Amendola was 1-2 for 20 yards for the Pats in the 2017 postseason.

Edelman and Meyers are two of four players in franchise history to have a perfect 158.3 passer rating; the other two are Mosi and Gino. Fifth on that list is Vinny Testaverde with a 137.5 rating on three passes in the 2006 season.
What????

My bad. When I overlooked that TD in his stats, I thought I was losing my mind - because I thought for sure Jules had thrown a playoff TD pass.

Thanks for catching that - and restoring my sanity.
It made me wonder if I dreamt it!

Unfortunately it is extremely difficult to compare quarterbacks that did not play at identical times. The stats lose context when the two played even just a decade or two apart.

Bledsoe versus Grogan is an interesting debate. Based on just the raw numbers, Drew had more passing yards, fewer picks and a lower interception percentage. However, Grogan threw more touchdowns, had a higher TD percentage, more yards per pass attempt, more wins as the Pats QB, and a higher winning percentage.

If comparing the player as a whole versus strictly passing leaders, one would also need to figure in his productivity as a runner - and his leadership/motivation attributes.

Parilli's numbers look awful by today's standards, but he was good enough to be an AFL All-Star (Pro Bowl) three times, and an All-AFL (All Pro) quarterback once.

If the question is changed to a ranking of the best quarterbacks in franchise history, then I would say:
  1. Tom Brady
  2. Steve Grogan
  3. Drew Bledsoe
  4. Babe Parilli
  5. Jim Plunkett

Grogan played hurt, especially in Candlestick throwing six picks in the mud with two bad knees. Steve took one for the team many, many times.

Tough doesn't begin to describe him. But in the 80's he did nothing but lead us to big, clutch wins. He very frankly should have started in Super Bowl XX and a year later in Denver, as Flutie should have at the end of '88.

Who would I start if I wanted to win the game?...This is the criteria for my Best Pats QB's list:

1. Tom Brady
2. Steve Grogan
3. Jim Plunkett
4. Doug Flutie
5. Babe Parilli
6. Rich Gannon
7. Cam Newton
8. Joe Kapp
9. Brian Dowling
10. Drew Bledsoe
11. Tony Eason

1. Tom Brady
  2. Steve Grogan
  3. Drew Bledsoe
  4. Babe Parilli
  5. Jim Plunkett

Drew could throw it and was very well liked by teammates and the media.

But the whole package? Drew & Tony had their moments. But not a lot of quarterbacks possess the qualities, awareness, intangibles and simply the ability to lead and do what it takes to win. Otherwise everybody'd be Joe Montana or Steve Grogan.

No surprise in the top 5

1 Brady
2 Bledsoe
3 Grogan
4 Parilli
5 Eason
Hindsight is 20/20.

Yes Kiam had desperate financial problems and was in it with Billy Sullivan.

But this is a no brainer. After rightfully and mercifully firing Raymond Berry, Doug Flutie was here and available and he easily could have made a comparatively very economical multiyear deal to keep Doug here as our starter.

The stands would be filled, the team would AT LEAST be in the playoffs but probably much more.

The entire NFL treated Doug like sh*t, and the times he was given the chance and delivered wins everybody acted so surprised!! Wow!!

It was not surprising to anyone with any general awareness of the game. In fact, it was annoying.

Doug never had any serious injury or missed any significant time in his career. He came to play every day.

Kiam keeps & signs him, he's at least fourth on this list; probably higher.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back