SOURCE:Patriots.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Mon
Oct 21st
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Stellar Performance
Another strong performance by the defense leads to points and played a key role as the Patriots improved to 6-0 Thursday night.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Top 10 Video Games ever

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by BobDigital, Apr 12, 2017.

1. BobDigital

BobDigital Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +14,038
    ---
    Just my list. We talk about movies, music, ect but that is so long with such a history of eras. One of the few top 10 list that can be done well still IMO is video games due to the short history of them. There have been eras but many people lived through nearly all of them right now and so there can be a lot of discussion about the entire body of work. Just FYI I leave nostalgia and "being first" at the door. This is about who did it best IMO. There is no easily set criteria for this list so I will just get into it.

#10 Starcraft - If you owned a computer and had internet and played games you played in the late 90s/early 00s Starcraft was a must. It was the best 30 bucks I ever spent on a game for the amount I played. The campaign is fun but the free online play was the seller here. Playing against others or joint against CPUs can be fun but the seller for me was Use Map Settings games. It changed the game. Players could use the game (in a way made easily accessible so most could figure it out) to build their own maps and make their own games with their own rules. There were literally infinite possibilities with what you could play so it was impossible to get bored of the same old thing. Starcraft smartly did all they could to encourage this and it made this game a massive success.

#9 Bioshock 1 - Shooters do not have a ton to offer that makes them different from each other. We can debate Golden Eye or Halo or Doom if you want but in the end only a few stand out. For me Bioshock is the top dog. Though it had a fun multiplayer with many options as most do it's the story and play style and style in general that separate it. It has a story that really invest you and makes you think. How many shooters take place in a dystopian city based on the a taken to extremes failed Ayn Rand philosophy. Then adds in various other moral questions and problem solving (gotta shorten it up after this lol),

#8 Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim - I didn't play all of this one. That being said I played more than enough. The World is huge and the options are endless. You can follow the main story or just do side quest after side quest. Truly a huge game which lets you make your choices.

#7 Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Zelda always seems to do good stuff but this still stands out as the best. It is pretty straight forward but that really is part of its charm. It truly mastered the formula here for this type of game back on the N64. No straight forward quest game has been as good since.

#6 Half Life 2 - Many game fans who play more than me call this the best of all time. I see why. Great world and story. The only other first person shooter on this list. Described as a space opera and that is not untrue. Proves yet again story matters. While not my personal favorite shooter (#2) I will go with the majority.

#5 GTA 5 - I will be honest. This is the first game i put on here I didn't overly enjoy. I see why it is one of the best games of all time. It just never made me care about the characters though the scope of the world and story are clearly amazing.

#4 World of Warcraft - To be totally honest I only played this for a few hours. I am not one to pay monthly installments. So I played a free version that only goes up so high but knew if i kept playing more I'd get too into it so i stopped. The culmination of the adventure multiplayer game. It is indeed a huge world and very fun. I would like hear about more options to expand it but that might be greedy to ask ;)

#3 Super Mario Bros 3 - You thought I would ignore all of the older games? Sometimes less is more. The thing about this game that makes it great is it is a game anyone can pick up. a 5 year old. You. Grandma if she wants. It is a very straightforward side-scroller but fun and sharp too. You can play the entire game or a few short cuts skip you to the end pretty much if you just want to face the boss. Of all the simpler games that were ever made this is the best IMO and still stands up to the best of today.

#2 Assassins Creed 3 - Maybe it is just cause i love history but this was such a joy to play on so many levels. I know the people who make these games take great care to be faithful to history as best they can but this stood out so much. Probably cause it is more recent and takes place mostly in the American Revolution (You see a ton of Boston). Also it is the culmination of the very excellent games in the series that came before which adds to it as well. This is not in most peoples top 10. But in this case I'm right. They're wrong. Simple as that.

HMs:Red Dead Redemption, Tetris, Portal, FF, many many others.

#1 The Last of Us - A Zombie game #1? Yep. But so so much more. I have never been so emotionally invested in a game in my life. It really does make you care and in the end is a story about Loss and Love and not zombies. I don't want to spoil anything so just play it if you haven't or watch someone else play it. Even that is worth it.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  2. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +88
    ---
    I only played at least five video games. As an old school fan of Pacman and others. As really just never got into those games. But my nephews loved them. Or used to.

3. ForThoseAboutToRock

ForThoseAboutToRock 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,631
    ---

I like your list and have played most of the games on there. Maybe we're about the same age?

With regard to #4 - you're right to have stopped before you got too far in. I started playing early on, initially hooked because of how cool it was to explore such a giant world. Later, you start making friends online and that's what keeps you hooked semi-permanently. I was in a group that had multiple marriages result from people playing together. It's a unique experience. I mostly enjoyed the WoW experience (I loved Warcraft 2 and 3) - but I'm not entirely sure I'd go back and pick the game up a second time if given the choice - it takes that much out of you.

4. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +88
    ---
    In a group with multiple marriages. As really it seems pretty unique but different.

5. slash83

slash83 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +2,853
    ---
    God of War (all of them)
    Uncharted
    Madden
    Contra
    Super Mario Kart

• Like Like x 1
  6. Simpelton

Simpelton In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,535
    ---
    top 10 games I have played

1: Chrono Trigger. For its time it was an absolute masterpiece, easily one of the best games of the mid 90's era. It would have stood up on its concept, writing and music even today. The music blew me away, the story wasn't pants-on-head insane like a lot of other JRPG's but instead was coherent and enjoyable, it was the first game I encountered with real multiple endings, it was one of the first games I encountered with true new game plus... Chrono Trigger raised the bar for all JRPG's that came after it.

2: Master of Orion 2. Master of Orion 2 was a synthesis of many good ideas from the original Master of Orion, Civilization, and a game called Master of Magic that literally no one has heard of. Microprose came up with some amazing games in the 90's, they pioneered the original Civ for PC, they pioneered the X-Com series, and then there's Master of Orion. Wargaming recently did a remake of the Orion series which is pretty popular and got a lot of things right, but nearly all of the biggest things Wargaming got right were based on the structure inherited from Master of Orion 2.

3: XCom: UFO Defense. Or as called in its native Britain, XCom: Enemy Unknown. Another gem from Microprose, whose IP litters modern gaming despite being defunct for at least 15 years (Master of Orion, XCom, Sid Meier's Civilization for PC, some really heavy hitting titles all introduced within a few years of each other) This is the first game I ever played that tried to model 3D tactical combat. It used a turn-based model, because come the **** on, it's 1994 here, and they cut a lot of corners, but they got a working multilayered 3D tactical map to basically work and again, this is the first time I'd ever seen such a thing.

It's also the first game I ever saw with a collision detection system. If your shot strayed from its target and there was another target in its path, that target would get hit. Which is something even the 2012 X-Com doesn't do all the time! Particularly amusing when you're using the multipoint aiming system to push a guided missile through the mouse maze and into the enemy command pod only to have it go wide right and smack into a tree, killing half of your team as they were sheltering behind it.

The procedurally generated encounter maps were very nice as well, that's only just now really becoming a mainstream thing and Microprose was publishing games with that feature in 1994. I've seen other games with far more polish than the original XCom had, but I haven't seen very many games with that much sheer ambition. I don't know of another game that has ever or will ever eat as much of my time as XCom: UFO Defense.

4: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. I got to the Elder Scrolls series late, but have made up for lost time. I have more time in Skyrim than in all the rest of my Steam library put together. I love and remember a lot of the old 90's games fondly, but Skyrim will have a special place in my heart for years to come. The top 3 will always be my top 3 because of their combination of design and ambition and the game features they introduced me to, but the modern games have their own charm.

5: Elite: Dangerous. Another big open world game, but this one the biggest openest worldest big open world game in history. If you ever want to feel small or insignificant open the galaxy map in ED. It is. The actual. Galaxy. All 980 BILLION stars of it. As for story there is none, so it's more or less up to you what to do in the game. My favorite thing is to explore. You can put your name on new discoveries once you report them to the Cartographer's Guild. And with 980 billion stars. even 2 years into the game's lifespan there's still TONS of unexplored space out there.
    6: Uncharted Waters: New Horizons. Wass is das? Wait... that's a game? Yes it is, and I was hooked on the SNES version for years and years. It has 6 different stories and a whole planet to explore. You can play the game of politics and rise in noble rank, destroy your enemies, find discoveries and report them for great profit, or just kick around the Mediterranean making a killing transporting art from Athens for carpet from Istanbul for glass from Venice, rinse and repeat. When I found a way to break the game I was very sad, it was like losing a friend. Now every time I play I just run silver from Lubeck to Madeira and gold from Madiera to Lubeck. What the heck am I supposed to do? That's the most profitable route in the world and all it takes to open it up is a few thousand ducats to develop the port at Madiera.

7: Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past. When they brought Zelda to the SNES, they did it right. A Link to the Past is the prototypical Zelda game, it went right back to the roots of the Zelda series and established them for all time. The orignal LoZ was an absolute masterpiece, easily one of the 2-3 finest NES games ever, and Link to the Past did not fail to live up to its place as the first non-NES Zelda title. The design was tight, the levels were fair even when they were tough, the puzzles were interesting and usually gave you a clue how to proceed if you spent enough time exploring to figure it out.. just a masterpiece.

8: Super Metriod. So... I think you guys have probably figured out that I had a SNES growing up. Yes I did, and Super Metroid... was not a game I owned. It was, however, a game we occasionally rented. And it's one of the very best Super Nintendo games of all time. Brilliant design and execution. I never did find everything there was to find in that game.

9: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. For what it was, a game on the original GameBoy, Link's Awakening was incredible. It was easily one of the best Game Boy games of all time. It took a lot of its genetics from Link to the Past and a bit from the original LoZ, combined with some new mechanics around the shield and sword and just a touch of Super Mario for the lulz. Great game. Also one of like two Zelda games for Nintendo console series that don't feature Gannondorf in any way (I think Majora's Mask is the only other one, I could be mistaken)

10: Master of Magic. An amazing Microprose game, roughly contemporary with the big power hitters they introduced to the world (Civ, XCom, Orion). A semi-spinoff of the Orion series with Civ-like elements set in a magical fantasy world (actually in two magical fantasy worlds sort of layered on top of each other). Master of Magic is far more obscure than it ever deserved to be. It was just as ambitious as the other three, featuring tactical combat, procedurally generated world maps, an Orion style diplomacy system, an excellent balance of heroes vs with standard units (great units can beat a mediocre hero easily, great heroes destroy all the everythings, so you can win with standard units or you can win with heroes, whichever you decide to focus on) as well as about two dozen races each with their own unique attributes, and a magical system that was original enough at the time even if it now looks like it had been ripped wholesale from Magic: The Gathering. Personally I think that M:TG may be why no one has rebooted the Master of Magic franchise. It certainly isn't because Master of Magic was a bad game, it was absolutely amazing at the time.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  7. Boomer B

Boomer B Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2,462
    ---
    1. Super Mario Cart - from the age of about 18 - 26 at least 2 weeknights a week after doing something like football, tennis, or soccer, my buddies and I would go back to my place and finish the night off with a Super Mario Cart tournament. We each used a specific character (I was Toad) and it was just a load of fun. Great times.

2. Techmo Bowl - In high school before we'd go to a party on Friday or Saturday night my buddies would come by and we'd have a few pre-party drinks playing Techmo Bowl. Great way to spend a few hours drinking with your friends.

3. Twisted Metal - I can't count the number of hours my brother and I logged on this game.

4. Call of Duty: Black Ops - I don't play to often anymore with a family but if I got a bit of time to kill I love playing Black Ops online.

5. NHL 94 - Just watch the movie Swingers to be reminded how great this game was.

6. Madden - I remember playing my brother and my Uncle walked in and asked what game was on. He didn't realize it was a video game on first look. I always liked Madden 10 and drafting an all-time team. Brady throwing to Michael Irvin and Steve Largent with a linebacking core of Tippett, Singletary, and Ham.

7. Ice Hockey - The skinny guy, the fat guy, and the medium guy. It was always a bit of strategy playing my buddy on which lineup to go with.

8. Civilization - this was a fun computer game where you pick your country and start out at 4000 BC and build your nation. You can win via war, or acquiring technological advances, etc..

9. Batman - Arkham City - Swing around Gotham City chasing the Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, etc.. Awesome game.

10. Red Dead Redemption - I borrowed this one from my nephew and was surprised how good it was. A huge map of the wild west and lots of fun.

• Like Like x 2
  8. juxtapoz15

juxtapoz15 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +379
    ---
    I still wish I had time to do some gaming. I have twin 4 year olds and I just don't have the time and energy to dedicate to gaming. In the small amount of time I do have I have been working on converting my Neo Geo MVS arcade cabinet to use a RetroPie. Here is my list in no particular order. I'll skip games that have already been discussed:

Old school PC
    Montezuma's Revenge - My first PC was an Atari 800XL (floopy disk system) and I spent so much time playing games on it. This game was amazing back in the day and was really ahead of its time. For the limited amount of space available (16K) the game felt like an actual adventure where you could choose different paths.

Nintendo
    Mega Man 2 - This was my first Nintendo game and still one of my favorites. All graphics are very crisp for a 8-bit game. The gameplay was great and very responsive. Also, as with all Mega Man games, you had to work through levels in a certain sequence so you could gain a weapon to beat the next level.

Dragon Warrior - The first game that I played that had an expansive world to explore. My sister and I would spend hours trying to figure out this game. Since this was back before the internet was invented you had to figure these games out yourself or with your small circle of grade school friends with a Nintendo Power Magazine. Our group would pull out the fold up Nintendo Power map and try to figure out the next part of the quest.

Super Nintendo
    Final Fantasy III - The first RPG that really blew me away with the story and character development. The game involved a lot of exploring and outside of the box thinking to finish the quest.

Star Fox - this game was amazing when it came out. A really great scrolling shooter game. The game also had multiple difficulty levels with Hard being almost impossible so replay ability was really good.

Nintendo Wii
    Super Mario Galaxy - A really unique and challenging Mario game and probably my all time favorite game ever. To completely finish the game you had to collect 120 stars (I think ). Most levels would only take 10 minutes or so, so this fit perfectly into my busy work schedule back in the day. Some levels had low gravity and some had no gravity so there was a lot of variability between levels. The last level was probably one of the most challenging video game levels that I've completed.

Arcade
    NBA Jam TE - I pumped so much money into this game back in the day. You could enter your initials and birthday and it would pull up your list of teams you've defeated and your record. There were also button sequence codes you could enter for different cheats (big heads, infinite turbo, etc.)

Lethal Enforcers - Amazing side scrolling shooter game.

PC
    Counter-Strike - I'm surprised I finished college with the amount of time I spent playing this game. This was a downloadable multiplayer add-on to Half-Life. This was a team-based first person shooter so you had to communicate with your group and have a good strategy in order to win the battle.

9. ForThoseAboutToRock

ForThoseAboutToRock 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,631
    ---
    Nice list - I like that you broke it down by system, including the arcade games. NBA Jam was an awesome arcade game. Mortal Kombat 2 was probably one of the only arcade games that I ever wanted to play more than NBA Jam. Always wished Jordan had been in NBA Jam.

I think Mega Man 2 is a great choice as well. The game's sounds and tunes - can't you still hear them in your head? Pretty iconic and a great achievement for sound / music design given the resources available in the 8-bit carts.

Since you mentioned a SNES RPG - I was reminded of Earthbound. I recall renting it from the video store on a lark because it came in a giant box and had cool art work. I thought the game would suck - graphics weren't even half-decent - whole thing at first appearance seemed shoddy. I couldn't have been more wrong. Still a big fan of that game to this day [I'll occasionally check out a twitch stream of a guy who speedruns it to scratch the itch].