SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Browns
Sun
Oct 27th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Completely Spooked
The Patriots absolutely spooked Sam Darnold Monday night as they improved to 7-0 on the season.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Top 10 TV shows still on-going

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by BobDigital, Mar 21, 2017.

1. BobDigital

BobDigital Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +14,118
    ---
    Not an all time list but my opinion of the 10 shows you should tune in for.

#10 The Walking Dead - The show you love to hate and love to love. Simply the most frustrating show on TV cause at times it really hits it out of the park and can go toe to toe with any show on TV and at other times it feels like it wasted your time. It is a cable show that got infected by network show problems. Trying to do too many eps and keep views up instead of telling a consistent story. Cut it from 16 episodes a year to 10 and tell your story faster with less filler and this would be much higher.

#9 Vikings - It is odd for me to rank this show so low as I really have nothing negative to say about it. It really offers you pretty much everything you look for in a show. Perhaps part of it is I just sometimes don't feel like I get the whole range of emotion from the characters.

#8 The Magicians - Billed as the grown up Harry Potter. This is a bit campy but it is self aware of how silly it is while not being over the top about it and still trying to present their story and succeeding. Season 1 was okay but lagging at times. This season has been pretty solid though with good twist and turns and has jumped into my top 10. It is funny, interesting and different than pretty much any other show on TV. It hits a niche nothing else does and is honestly pretty fun.

#7 Stranger Things - Very cool show here. Feels like a mix of Steven Spielberg and Stephen King. Also I love the 80s vib it soaks itself in (and the time period is a good call for this kind of show). I don't know where it plans to go in season 2 but I am on board.

#6 Mr Robot - Okay some people really felt the 2nd season was a step down and quality and hated the big "twist" this season. I didn't care about the twist much to be honest. I just thought front to back the show was well done and the "back round cast" really are truly interesting to watch.

#5 Westworld - Still has a lot to prove but a promising first season. I just hope it doesn't lose sight of what it should be trying to be. Don't try to be the new GOTs be WW.

#4 Fargo - One of the few anthology series with 2 very good seasons in the bag back to back. A lot fall off but this one has not. In fact season 2 improved over season 1 in SOME ways but was worse in others. It was about the same quality. I have high hopes for season 3.

#3 American Crime Story. This is a bit of questionable pick in many respects. You don't tend to judge an anthology series by 1 story. However the OJ season really hit it out of the park. Everything was great from the word go and they have 3 more seasons at least in the works. Another issue is this won't be back till 2018 (that will be over a 2 year break). Could be another deal breaker for some though they say season 3 will come fast after. The creative team here though is just great I think and will be worthy of this ranking. Personally I'd rather have a show take its time and do it right than rush and put out a lot of material ala Walking Dead. Looking back 10 years in your box set you will be happy it did.

#2 The Americans - People need to stop ignoring this show. It is rarely nominated or talked about by large groups of people but has been one of TVs best since it aired and particularly since season 2. If it has a weakness it is that it lacks the typical "holy crap" moments other bigger shows are known for.

#1 Game of Thrones - Yes a conventional pick. It really has picked it up after a lackluster season 5. Season 6 I enjoyed most of the way through and the fact next season will be shorter probably boast well for the quality we can expect.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  2. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly NFL Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +8,952
    ---
    I was going to start this thread, but you beat me to it!

I will have to flesh out my explanations later:

1. Game of Thrones
    2. Westworld
    3. The Americans
    4. Narcos
    5. Stranger Things
    6. Better Call Saul
    7. Archer
    8. Fargo
    9. Vikings
    10. Legion

So I did a pairwise comparison, which was the best way I could think to rank these without bias. I had 18 shows up there, including Walking Dead, Turn, and American Crime Story. The latter of those three was a sure shoe-in for a Top Ten slot, or so I thought. I was surprised Legion cracked the Top Ten, because like you, I'm on the fence with where it's going.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  3. BobDigital

Ratings:
    +14,118
    ---
    I have not seen season 2 of Fargo yet but i loved season 1. I might bump something once I see it. Also yet to see Narcos.

Edit: Saw season 2 and loved it. Narcos still yet to see haha.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  4. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +8,952
    ---
    And Narcos being that high speaks to the quality of that show, in my opinion. I'm a little leery with where they're going to have to go with it in Season 3, but if they have the same attention to detail and careful handling of the characters, it will be just fine.

I edited the first post with a quick explanation.

5. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +89
    ---
    Enjoy Game of Thorns as season 7 is going to be the last from what I hear on IMDB site.

6. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +8,952
    ---
    Unless something changed from what I last heard, my understanding is that there are two seasons left, each with only seven episodes in Season 7 and six episodes in Season 8.

EDIT - Found a link that discusses why Season 8 hasn't been ordered yet; there is question about how many episodes there will be. But, thankfully, it will happen.

7. BaconGrundleCandy

BaconGrundleCandy Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +9,174
    ---
    GoT's ends in season 8.

7 episodes this year, 6 next year.

Most likely 8 is already in a rough draft as they start to write around the beginning of the year but since everything was pushed back for this year I assume they started a lil later.

Episodes are set, I suspect if anything we might get more time per towards the end but we got 13 left.

My preference would be a full season spilt like TWD. Start the last 6 around Thanksgiving and end of Xmas, hopefully snowing out.

8. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +8,952
    ---
    I understand they are waffling a bit on the six episode idea for Season 8, but it's because it may need more. I certainly hope so. Season 6 was great but felt rushed compared to previous seasons.

9. BaconGrundleCandy

Ratings:
    +9,174
    ---

• Like Like x 1
  10. JPPT1974

Ratings:
    +89
    ---
    Think Game of Thrones is trying to go out on top it seems.

11. Thelonious

Thelonious Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,047
    ---
    I've never seen Game of Thrones. Is there some reason, related to plot, why the blond girl has black eyebrows? (I do eventually get around to seeing her eyebrows.)

12. BobDigital

Ratings:
    +14,118
    ---
    Not related to plot no. It just looks better I think so they let her keep her natural eyebrow color. White eye brows don't show up as well on camera.

Also watch it. It is fantastic. Very few times have i felt disappointed after an episode though I feel season 5 was kind of weak at some spots but besides that I think it is great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. captain insano

captain insano Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4,212
    ---
    only 2 shortened seasons remain. the last season only has 8 episodes.

14. BobDigital

Ratings:
    +14,118
    ---
    Better than 6 that I heard months ago

15. BaconGrundleCandy

Ratings:
    +9,174
    ---
    Apparently 8 isn't renewed so if they want more they can add. But I haven't heard 8 or any #.

Btw Sneaky Pete is show I think some would like.

16. 1960Pats

1960Pats PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11,243
    ---
    You should see it.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Bloodline (I have that near the top) and Suits (that's Mad Men with lawyers instead of ad men). Great shows.
    Some others in alphabetical order: Better Call Saul, House of Cards, Outlander, Ray Donovan, Rectify (one season left I think), Silicon Valley, The Americans, Turn and Vikings.

17. JPPT1974

Ratings:
    +89
    ---
    NCIS if nobody has mentioned it. Not just #1 but 14th season and counting!

18. captain insano

captain insano Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4,212
    ---
    vikings
    black sails[just ended]
    the americans
    fargo
    first 5 seasons of homeland[season 6 is PC crap.
    game of thrones
    the strain
    outlander
    ray donavan
    the missing
    impractical jokers

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  19. BobDigital

Ratings:
    +14,118
    ---
    I forgot Fargo. Put that at #4 and move everything else down :). Also after thinking about it more Atlanta did not deserve top 10. I tried to put some comedy in there but that seemed forced. Also forgot Fargo so i need to add that.

So new and updated. Also flipped WW and Mr. Robot after thinking about it more but i still think Mr. Robot is underrated by many people. I am updating it in my op cause I don't want what is an oversight left up :p

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  20. BobDigital

Ratings:
    +14,118
    ---
    Also just for fun my all time top 10.

#1 The Wire
    #2 Breaking Bad
    #3 Game of Thrones
    #4 Rome
    #5 The Americans
    #6 Deadwood
    #7 Six Feet Under
    #8 The Twilight Zone
    #9 Oz
    #10 Rectify

A chance to break in depending on future seasons: American Crime Story, Fargo, West World right now IMO are the only shows that have a shot.

Also people who rank shows need to stop bringing up older shows made in the 60s and 70s and even 80s and 90s. Most were okay at best.