PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Eric Tomlinson released UPDATE: Not cut; OL Aaron Monteiro to PS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Harry have to be Put on 53 after 8 weeks? or can we wait a few more weeks until we need him. And after he becomes active can he be put on IR if re-injured? I presume so.
My understanding is if Harry is not on the roster 21 days after the 1st day he was activated to practice, he stays on IR permanently.

When they're featuring WRs as much as they are, 6 WRs isn't really all that crazy. It's almost a necessity.

Especially when there are some big question marks and the only two certainties are already beat up. And when it looks like the passing game is going to have to carry extra weight this year.

Josh has said, talking specifically about the FB position, that it's his role to build a game plan around the resources they have. If they have a great run-blocking line, he will try to take advantage of that. If they have three great tight ends, you'll see a lot more two-TE sets. If he has no FB and no blocking TE's, he'll play a lot more four-WR formations.

I agree with the sentiment that "7 wide receivers is ridiculous" is ridiculous. If those wide receivers are seven of the best players, that's what they'll keep.

This thread notes that Tomlinson was released. Maybe unfair to give him one game to understand the playbook. But the guy whiffed on basic wham blocks. He shuffled over to the center of the line and got there well after the DT penetrated. Wham blocks shouldn't be some unique wrinkle that the Patriots developed for the Jets game. It's more of a basic this-big-TE-just-got-here-and-we-need-some-plays-he -can-execute kind of thing.

I would agree with losing LaCosse when adding Harry. Go with Watson and Edelman-Sanu-Dorsett-Harry/Meyers/Gordon in four-wide situations. Watson definitely lined up in the backfield against the Jets, as did Ferentz and Roberts.

FYI
Monteiro listed as 6-7 320, 5.45 40. 30 starts. Sort of a right tackle type.
"Poor man's Dan Skipper..."

Sanu is 14, I guess 12 was not available.

FYI

This is now the new example provided in the Wiki entry for "Damning with Faint Praise"

Gordon will not be cut/IR’d, unless the Patriots want to play this game all season long of, OK now it looks like we’re OK at wide receiver so let’s cut/trade a guy, oops, there was a change and now we are razor thin at wide receiver. Just keep the guys we have fer crissakes.

But but...

EDIT: To be fair, I suppose no corresponding roster move has been made for Harry as yet.

The real question is will Volin say “I was wrong and just spouting crap as usual” when Pats activate Harry and keep 7 WRs on squad. Seems to me either LaCosse or Izzo are more likely to be put on IR rather than Gordon or Gunner. 2 TEs will be fine.

FYI

Monteiro was a 3 1/2-year starter at LT for Boston College but didn't get a lot of interest at draft time, and is a huge long shot. But those measurables are different from what I've found...here are his pro day results, which show nice length and decent athleticism to work with:

6'6" 34" arms 311 5.31 19 29.5" 08'10" 4.77 7.82

My understanding is if Harry is not on the roster 21 days after the 1st day he was activated to practice, he stays on IR permanently.

Not 100% clear. In another thread, Shea McCellin was set to return from I/R by practicing and we lost the designation when he went back on I/R. But...that was 2-3 seasons ago before we stopped using the "I/R-Return" designation in favor of just I/R=ing everyone and bringing back only 2.

I can't find an official rule anywhere...

And has anyone ever forgone the TE position? Say we keep 8 WR (including Slater) and just line up a few of our WR's at TE. The defense would need to cover the guy with a DB right? Force the D in sub package with 21 personell using 2 WR's next to the OT's....and just run the ball vs. the light package off the edges?

I might be overthinking it....maybe defenses just leave a LB in and blow up the WR's trying to block...

I might be overthinking it....maybe defenses just leave a LB in and blow up the WR's trying to block...

I think this is pretty close to what will happen (Edit: meaning defenses would blow up a WR trying to play TE). More generically, there are aspects of plays that you really need a tight end to do, and even the revolving door we've been fielding there are going to be better at those aspects than a wide receiver would be. They'll de-emphasize the tight end because it's not where they have the most depth/talent, but you can't do without them completely.

FIRST
We are keeping Gordon if he is healthy.
==============
YOUR POSITION
The team is in horrible trouble at WR with
EDELMAN
SANU
DORSETT
MYERS
HARRY
(GUNNER)

I disagree.

Perhaps folks think that we acquired Sanu so that we could have 7 active WR's. We may be a passing team, but that is not at all reasonable. At very most, we would have 4 active, plus Gunner. If Gordon is healthy, we would be having 2 of our WR's inactive.

Gordon will not be cut/IR’d, unless the Patriots want to play this game all season long of, OK now it looks like we’re OK at wide receiver so let’s cut/trade a guy, oops, there was a change and now we are razor thin at wide receiver. Just keep the guys we have fer crissakes.

Not 100% clear. In another thread, Shea McCellin was set to return from I/R by practicing and we lost the designation when he went back on I/R. But...that was 2-3 seasons ago before we stopped using the "I/R-Return" designation in favor of just I/R=ing everyone and bringing back only 2.

I can't find an official rule anywhere...
Yea I'd want to see the rule now too. I'd they discarded the 21 day period that would be news to me but that doesn't mean anything. I can't keep track.

FIRST
We are keeping Gordon if he is healthy.
==============
YOUR POSITION
The team is in horrible trouble at WR with
EDELMAN
SANU
DORSETT
MYERS
HARRY
(GUNNER)

I disagree.

Perhaps folks think that we acquired Sanu so that we could have 7 active WR's. We may be a passing team, but that is not at all reasonable. At very most, we would have 4 active, plus Gunner. If Gordon is healthy, we would be having 2 of our WR's inactive.
I’m not saying we’re in horrible trouble with that group, I’m saying we’ve seen before how things can change very quickly in this league. We IR Gordon, and then suddenly something happens to someone else and we’re scrambling around again.

Last edited:
We IR Gordon, and then suddenly something happens to someone else and we’re scrambling around again.

Gordon is back at practice. Why is this even being discussed?

Gordon is back at practice. Why is this even being discussed?
Agree- non-issue.

He didn't participate but the fact he was there is a positive sign. They might let him rest another week.

...although they are playing his old team. Hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes