PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomlin already thinking about the Pats

I really wanted the Steelers to lose that game. The dumb play that cost Green Bay was going for a 59 yard FG when the game was tied and there was plenty of time left. WTF? I think it was almost as windy in Pittsburgh as it was in Foxboro yesterday. No way Crosby was making it. It gave the Steelers a short field and they predictably scored. Things may have turned out differently if GB had just punted there. And yes, I know the Steelers made a long FG at the buzzer (51 yards I think?) but at least there was nothing to lose by doing that.

That’s the difference between Mccarthy and Belichick. BB knows pittsburgh is a tough stadium to kick in and would not have attempted a 57 yarder.

Tomlin: The new Rex, the Pats have missed him.

I dunna know. I watched it live and recall how I was taken back a little as I'm not accustomed to a coach talking like that but whatever.

If Tomlin thinks his players play better by him laying down the gauntlet then so be it.

Looking ahead 2-3 games towards a team is clearly something BB does not want his team doing.

Joe Starkey: Mike Tomlin wrote a really big check, so he best cash it/PPG

Joe Starkey: Mike Tomlin wrote a really big check, so he best cash it

... in the wake of a way-too-close, 31-28 victory over the undermanned Green Bay Packers: If the Steelers don’t win the Super Bowl, Tomlin’s words will be remembered. For a very long time.

First, it’s a relief that somebody in the actual arena acknowledges the Patriots obsession around here. It’s everywhere. Ramon Foster spoke earlier in the week of how a fan approached him in a grocery store talking Patriots.

Well you have to factor Bell wasn't playing in the AFCCG but for a few minutes, putting Brown, Bryant and Bell on the field at one time is an entirely different thing than the AFCCG...I dont think Bryant was on the field for that either but cant remember exactly.

I dont think NE has played a team this year with that much talent....maybe the Falcons.

Too bad all that "talent" never translates into an offense that consistently scores.

A considerable amount of reason why they have that "talent" is Bell and Brown are targeted so much.

The Steelers have faired best when someone else eliminates the Patriots.

Good for him for trying to take on the beast. But, he should also remember how well BB does when he faces a team for the 2nd time in the same season...(wouldn't want Tomlin to sleep well at night)

Baltimore certainly has the capacity to pull off a victory, but it really won’t matter right now because it ultimately comes down to who wins the 12/17 matchup. Even if we’d go into that game with an 11-2 record and they were 10-3, they’d overtake the number one seed in the head to head tiebreaker scenario.

Of course, if they lost one more game along with the BAL matchup then we could still end up with the #1 seed if the Pats lose on 12/17, but the schedule for Pittsburgh just isn’t that hard.
I was really really hoping GB would gift the Pats last night. I do agree with your points, but I still would have preferred to see them walking into that game at 10-3.

Yeah, but the difference is they're not singing it in the media. They never do.

Belichick throws bouquets to pretty much everyone except Fred-Ex in public. That's fine. It's just not the only way it has to be done.

Belichick throws bouquets to pretty much everyone except Fred-Ex in public. That's fine. It's just not the only way it has to be done.
Meh, maybe or maybe not. I just know I've NEVER heard, explicitly or not, BB talk about an unscheduled game. Tomlin is obviously alluding to an AFCCG when the seeding hasn't even been decided. OAK looked like the #1 seed until about week 13 or so (I don't remember exactly when Carr fell). A lot can happen just next week. LOL

I am hoping these steelers are circa early 2000s colts. We had their number but eventually they beat us in 2006 but we had a lot of success against those teams.

Actually I believe bill when he said all he is doing is thinking about buffalo. It’s hard to not believe him. I’ve been trying for about an hour before writing this and I just can’t envision him thinking about that ass clown in Pittsburgh at all.

On a side note, over at pft I’ve been informed that New England won’t last one quarter against philly and that the pats schedule is easy. It has not looked easy

Pats have to neutralize Brown in the passing game and Bell in their ground game....Let's hope Pats have all their key players healthy for that match up.....Fleming on the OL doesn't promote confidence in keeping Brady upright...Van Noy, Reilly, two Flowers and Waddle injured in the last game and Cannon, Hogan, and Andrews still out.......

Edit: Noticed that Nate Ebner may have a season ending knee injury...Missing both Slater & Ebner on ST is a kick in the groin...
The injuries are piling up for sure. I think some of those guys will be back by week 15. We just have to bide our time and win the (presumably) easier games until then.

Meh, maybe or maybe not. I just know I've NEVER heard, explicitly or not, BB talk about an unscheduled game. Tomlin is obviously alluding to an AFCCG when the seeding hasn't even been decided. OAK looked like the #1 seed until about week 13 or so (I don't remember exactly when Carr fell). A lot can happen just next week. LOL

You need to listen to what Tomlin actually said. He didn't say "We'll absolutely be there". What Tomlin did was to say what pretty much everyone else has been saying.

"But probably, if we're both doing what we're supposed to, the second one is really going to be a big game. Then what happens in the first is going to set up the second one, which is going to determine the location of the second one."

Steelers' Mike Tomlin ready for 'fireworks' vs. Patriots

Everyone with a brain knows that the AFC is, at least as of this moment, a 2 team conference with a few possible spoilers that'll fill out the playoff schedule.

I am hoping these steelers are circa early 2000s colts. We had their number but eventually they beat us in 2006 but we had a lot of success against those teams.

The Colts were actually the better team in 2006. I don't think Pittsburgh is this year.

We're on to the BiLLLLs

We can be sure that BB and company are already thinking about the Steelers, too.

Of course he is. Why wouldn't he be thinking about a guaranteed win on the schedule? Any time you can obtain a victory before the game has even been played, as is the case for NE when they play Pittsburgh, it's to be celebrated and thought of constantly.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong in what he said. He just acknowledged that it's a big game. It was a specific question from Dungy and Tomlin had to answer. He could have said I am just focusing on this game but he is no BB.

If he's in fact seriously thinking about playing Pats in 3 weeks, they'll drop a game for sure before then.

Tomlin is already thinking of BB and the Pats?

I bet he'd be saddened to know that BB is not already thinking of Tomlin and the Steelers.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back