PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran: 2004 Patriots vs. 2014 Patriots who wins?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who Wins if they play each other?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are both squads at full strength or would this be each team at the end of their respective seasons? If it’s the former? 2004. If it’s the latter? 2014.

Are both squads at full strength or would this be each team at the end of their respective seasons? If it’s the former? 2004. If it’s the latter? 2014.
Seems he compares them both on having healthy players for the match ups.

Straight up, all healthy, one game - 2014.
Gronk, Revis, Dola & Edelman can get it done vs anybody. Plus, 2014 Brady/BB is superior to 2004 Brady/BB. Though, that 2004 DL makes me a bit reluctant! Brady would get the ball out quick though.

Also, 2004 or 2014 rules?

Would pay to see it.

Last edited:
Seems he compares them both on having healthy players for the match ups.
It would be an awesome game but the ‘04 team wins. That front would wreak havoc on the 2014 OL. Gronk would have a monster game, though.

The real determining factor to me would be which set of rules they were playing under, '04's or '14's. Have to figure '04 Belichick would neutralize Gronk, he certainly had the personnel to do it, then the '04 team would maul the snot out of Edelman and Dola. If they were playing under the rules as they exist now the '04 team would give up more penalty than passing yards.

Brady wasn't fully Brady in 2004. He was in 2014. I'd say the 04 defense was better overall though. Special teams , I'll take the 04 unit. I think the 04 team was superior to every team they played in the postseason. SB 39 was never as close as the final score indicated either. I'll say 04. But not by much.

Why is 07 an option? In the end, they failed to get the job done. I know that's harsh for a team that went 18-0. But unfortunately history won't remember them up until SB 42. It'll remember them for SB 42.

If the Patriots could get in a time machine and play the Patriots the Patriots would win.

I think the 14-2/12-4 record difference is pretty accurate; the 2004 team was better. A better comparison would be all 3 of our 14-2 SB-winning teams.

2004 was the culmination of a stretch where the Patriots went 32-2 starting with game 5 of the 2003 season. They were never at risk to lose in the playoffs while the 2014 team needed to come back twice from 14 down to the Ravens while pulling out their entire bag of tricks. They then needed what was then a record 4th quarter comeback against the Seahawks to seal the deal. Passing rules were so different than I am not really sure how much better 2014 Brady was than 2004.

Whoever has Tom Brady wins.

2007 beats all the other Brady era Patriots teams. As for the 2004 v. 2014 comparison:

2014 probably beats 2004 if the rules are 2014 rules, and 2004 probably beats 2014 if the rules are 1004 rules.

2007 beats all the other Brady era Patriots teams. As for the 2004 v. 2014 comparison:

2014 probably beats 2004 if the rules are 2014 rules, and 2004 probably beats 2014 if the rules are 1004 rules.
Yes ... DB's were allowed to play way more physical ... rushing the QB had more risk to the QB.

2004, I'm not gonna bet against that veteran core of Rodney - Mcginnest - Bruschi - Vrabel - Seymour - etc while they were all still in their prime... they were a brutal group of guys and that was the only year I sat through the playoff games relatively unconcerned. So many other quality starters and depth along the front 7. 2014 may have been more talented but the 2004 version would probably work any other Patriot team, those guys really showed up in crunchtime. Guys like Chandler Jones, Jaime Collins... the talent was there but I just didn't have the same trust. Revis had a pretty rough game against Bmore IIRC too.

Last edited:
2004, I'm not gonna bet against that veteran core of Rodney - Mcginnest - Bruschi - Vrabel - Seymour - etc while they were all still in their prime... they were a brutal group of guys and that was the only year I sat through the playoff games relatively unconcerned. So many other quality starters and depth along the front 7. 2014 may have been more talented but the 2004 version would probably work any other Patriot team, those guys really showed up in crunchtime. Guys like Chandler Jones, Jaime Collins... the talent was there but I just didn't have the same trust. Revis had a pretty rough game against Bmore IIRC too.

Ok, here's a question for thought:

If you're using the 2004 team, but using the 2014 rules, how are you stopping Gronk without sacrificing the ability to cover Edelman, Amendola, LaFell, and Vereen?

Why is 07 an option? In the end, they failed to get the job done. I know that's harsh for a team that went 18-0. But unfortunately history won't remember them up until SB 42. It'll remember them for SB 42.
Because they are the best NE team of the entire TB/BB run.

Ok, here's a question for thought:

If you're using the 2004 team, but using the 2014 rules, how are you stopping Gronk without sacrificing the ability to cover Edelman, Amendola, LaFell, and Vereen?

The rule changes haven’t stopped good defenses from shutting down good offenses. Sb 42, 2015 broncos, this years sb(and I wouldn’t even consider that defense an elite one) are just a few examples. Imo Theres no offense that cant be stopped if you have the kind personnel we had in 03/04 , they were stacked on the defensive side and they had the experience.

For what it's worth:

WhatIfSports

Field: Arizona

2004 - 4

2014 - 6

Game 1: 27-13
2004 Wins

Game 2: 27-17
2004 Wins

Game 3: 31-21
2004 Wins

Game 4: 20-27
2014 Wins

Game 5: 24-20
2004 Wins

Game 6: 24-30
2014 Wins

Game 7: 10-13
2014 Wins

Game 8: 20-26
2014 Wins

Game 9: 21-36
2014 Wins

Game 10: 28-31
2014 Wins

I think the better question is which team is better? How can Brady and BB play/coach against themselves?

Here’s who I give the edge to for every unit:

QB: 2004. He out dueled Manning, a 15-1 Pittsburgh team on the road and was in control of a very good Philly team the entire game. Brady had some really stupid freak out throws in 2014 that were missed opportunities which eventually put them in a 10 point deficit against the Seahawks in the 2nd half.
RB: 2004. Corey Dillon. Enough said.
FB: 2014.
WR: 2004. Better balance of players.
TE: 2014. Gronk. Enough said.
OL: 2014. Had more talent than 2004.
DL: 2004. Don’t even need to discuss this.
LB: 2004. Don’t even need to talk about this either.
CB: 2004. Slight edge to Law, Poole and Samuel.
S: 2004. Harrison puts them over the top. Eugene Wilson was good enough at FS.
K: 2004. Don’t even need to discuss this.
ST: 2004.

Winner: 2004

Brady’s ankle had a lot to do with him not being able to buy a millisecond in that pocket. Stephen Neal getting injured hurt too. The San Diego Chargers rolling Brady’s ankle were the real MVP’s nobody knew about.

2015 broncos
Broncos won by their home field advantage alone. The game should’ve been at Gillette, where they would’ve been blown out. Failing to beat either the Jets or Dolphins and not securing home field advantage throughout was BB’s biggest blunder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down