PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady motivation & productivity, past & future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I see my post was basically a copy of luuked's though I agree I wouldn't reference Mulligan, Slater, and Collie as receiving threats. Slater didnt' have any catches that year, and still to this day only has ONE catch on his resume.

And yes, Edelman did break out that year but he was the lone bright spot on the receiving staff. The offense as a whole was still far inferior to the one they had fielded the three years prior to that.

Confirmed...the only catch I remember him making is indeed the only one he ever made.

Was quite an exciting play.

Totally disagree.
Like extremely driven people, TFB is internally driven by his expectations for himself.
Chasing the tail of lesser beings gets him nowhere.

If that's true, he wouldn't care who was drafted in front of him in 2000. Lesser beings, in your words.

Or where he wound up in the draft. If he was only internally driven, he wouldn't care about external factors. Again, your words.

Yet oddly, it seems like he does care about those things.

And that seems to have motivated him somewhat.

Your analysis does not account for one fact.

Tom's a well balanced Irishman. He's got a chip on both shoulders. :)

2013-
WW gone
JE11 new #1
AH gone
Gronk missed 3/4 of the year
Hooman #1 TE
DA missed a bunch of time.
Rookie Dobson & Tompkins

Brady started that season without his five top targets from 2012:

GRONK (injured)
Prisoner (incarcerated)
Woodhead (walked)
Welker (walked)
Lloyd (released(!))

Confirmed...the only catch I remember him making is indeed the only one he ever made.

The best part about it......it was on Monday Night Football so after the play Gruden gets all excited like....."you always have to know where Matthew Slater is on the field because he can do this to you (referring to the long catch he just made)"

Yup, that's right, the guy who came into the game with zero catches. Defenses, definitely make sure you are keeping tabs on that guy.

I'd typically agree with you

but then I'd need an explanation on what happened to Brady circa 2014, where the previous few years his production had started dropping and was in decline, but around 2014, it started climbing back up again

I'm not saying it was all Jimmy, but I def think having Jimmy breathing down Brady's neck affected him positively, as it would any human being competitor

Some people don’t believe competition can make someone more driven and focused. I think it’s a great motivator, from your backups to your rivalries, competition and challenges makes you better. In regards to Brady, it’s just another piece of that chip on his shoulder he always plays with.

46 yards per catch for his career!

might be a record...

but only 5.75 yards per time targeted!

Last edited:
Not really. I get all this hype about Jimmy but this is a year to year league. Being good one year is easy. Being good every year is not a certainty but any means. We KNOW Brady is gonna be good every year, even for a few more years. Every team has 17 years of tape on Brady but he's still beating everyone. I wanna see what teams do with a whole offseason to prepare for Jimmy.

So, let's say Jimmy does well next year. And the negative nancy drumbeat continues about 'should the Pats have kept Jimmy'.

Anybody else think that Jimmy's production could be an additional motivating factor... a POWERFUL one... for Brady to perform as well as he can... for as long as he can?

I do. :)
Can we please stop the comments that imply the most motivated player in the nfl needs something to motivate him, particularly the stupid comments of ignorant observers?

Can we please stop the comments that imply the most motivated player in the nfl needs something to motivate him, particularly the stupid comments of ignorant observers?

Never said he needed it. Just said it was potential additional fuel. Motivation requires fuel. He may have enough... but if he needs more, this could do the trick.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
This idea might come into play 3 years from now when the Pat's are playing for their 5th straight Super Bowl win. This time against the JG led 49ers.
Brady has announced he is retiring at the end of the game and he gives JG one last lesson as he drives the field for the game winning score.
After the game the only thing Brady says to JG is "you got close kid, but there isn't room in this barnyard we call earth for more than one GOAT"

we can all thank jimmy g for lighting a fire under tommy's butt, when he was looking a little complacent

@Ian, why was the title of this thread changed?

EDIT: On second thought, never mind. You have more important things to do. As do I. ;)

You think the greatest player of all time is giving rent free headspace to his former backup who got traded away by the team because the team obviously still believes in Brady?
Yes

Of course Brady is motivated by many external factors. He’s probably the most “outside factor driven” NFL player of all time and the drafting of JG was huge for him in improving after Jimmy was drafted

That’s been common knowledge. Look people, Brady isn’t a god, he’s just another human with incredible drive

It’s the same situation that drove Favre to step it up after Rogers was drafted

Of course Brady is motivated by many external factors. He’s probably the most “outside factor driven” NFL player of all time and the drafting of JG was huge for him in improving after Jimmy was drafted

That’s been common knowledge. Look people, Brady isn’t a god, he’s just another human with incredible drive

It’s the same situation that drove Favre to step it up after Rogers was drafted
When the topic of motivation and Tom come up it's a interesting thing. Obviously Tom has a built -in motivation to excel and achieve. You can't reach his level of GOATness without it. It sustaining. With that said does he have "bla" days where he needs to find a little something to give him a boost? Maybe reading a 2000 NFL Combine Report or a backup QB outperforming in practice. Maybe a CB talking trash. He's human. It's ok to do that.

With that said I won't believe for a second Tom was slacking in 2013 and drafting Jimmy motivated Tom. No way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back