PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady motivation & productivity, past & future

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So, let's say Jimmy does well next year. And the negative nancy drumbeat continues about 'should the Pats have kept Jimmy'.

Anybody else think that Jimmy's production could be an additional motivating factor... a POWERFUL one... for Brady to perform as well as he can... for as long as he can?

https://imgflip.com/gifgenerator

I do. :)

No. Brady's performance will be based on injury luck for himself and the team around him like any other year. If Jimmy G factors in it's a distant 10th in line.

No. Brady's performance will be based on injury luck for himself and the team around him like any other year. If Jimmy G factors in it's a distant 10th in line.
I'd typically agree with you

but then I'd need an explanation on what happened to Brady circa 2014, where the previous few years his production had started dropping and was in decline, but around 2014, it started climbing back up again

I'm not saying it was all Jimmy, but I def think having Jimmy breathing down Brady's neck affected him positively, as it would any human being competitor

Well his arm strength still looks good even on that PI on the pass to cooks. That's on very cold weather as well. Accuracy's the thing you wanna see.

Last edited:

but then I'd need an explanation on what happened to Brady circa 2014, where the previous few years his production had started dropping and was in decline, but around 2014, it started climbing back up again

I'm not saying it was all Jimmy, but I def think having Jimmy breathing down Brady's neck affected him positively, as it would any human being competitor

Gronk healthy, Edelman healthy, and a threat intermediate/deep finally getting picked up by the team so defenses weren't playing them as if they were constantly in the red zone will go a long way toward explaining that.

I think what is unspoken about Jimmy and Brissett (to a lesser extent) is that the pats are able to identify quality QBs in the draft without the luxury of a top 10 pick. That gives me confidence that we will identity the next quality QBs in the upcoming drafts

So, let's say Jimmy does well next year. And the negative nancy drumbeat continues about 'should the Pats have kept Jimmy'.

Anybody else think that Jimmy's production could be an additional motivating factor... a POWERFUL one... for Brady to perform as well as he can... for as long as he can?

Honestly, if the PATS keep WINNING Super Bowls, Jimmy matters not to me at all.

Felger said the other day that we are going to hear about it all off season. I say BS if the Pats win their 6th, and repeat for the second time, and go 3 out of 4 for the second time, and the Pats are favored again for next year, as always.

If the Pats win this SB and they still go on and on about Jimmy I will call them and let them know what I think. They are idiots.

Totally disagree.
Like extremely driven people, TFB is internally driven by his expectations for himself.
Chasing the tail of lesser beings gets him nowhere.

Worse yet, in your scenario, family man Tommy Boy would be thinking,
"Gosh, JAG got all that time off in January & February! What can I do to get all that time off too?"

I agree with this except I really only think 2013 was a "down" year for Brady. All the others since 2010 are up to his standard.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
I think what is unspoken about Jimmy and Brissett (to a lesser extent) is that the pats are able to identify quality QBs in the draft without the luxury of a top 10 pick. That gives me confidence that we will identity the next quality QBs in the upcoming drafts
Yes, unless the people doing that identifying are hired away by other teams...

Honestly, if the PATS keep WINNING Super Bowls, Jimmy matters not to me at all.

Felger said the other day that we are going to hear about it all off season. I say BS if the Pats win their 6th, and repeat for the second time, and go 3 out of 4 for the second time, and the Pats are favored again for next year, as always.

If the Pats win this SB and they still go on and on about Jimmy I will call them and let them know what I think. They are idiots.

DON'T DO IT!
That's exactly what those ratings whores want you to do. Call up wicked pissed and make great radio boosting their ratings.

He had a real offense again. The only "bad" year since 2010 that Brady had was 2013 when Hernandez was arrested in the midst of the offseason, Welker defected leaving us with a totally new offense and Gronk missed most games first arm related and then ACL related. He was throwing to Slater, Mulligan and Austin Collie.

Now I agree that the JG competition woke the maniac in him and made him work even harder but lets not pretend that he was in some kind of downward spiral.

2013-
WW gone
JE11 new #1
AH gone
Gronk missed 3/4 of the year
Hooman #1 TE
DA missed a bunch of time.
Rookie Dobson & Tompkins

2014-
LaFell new
Gronk on slow ramp
Crappy running game until LG
FWIW in Toms last 8 reg season games he threw 7 INTs. w/ 90 qb rating.

So....Tom was fine. He needed targets he was comfortable with.

He had a real offense again. The only "bad" year since 2010 that Brady had was 2013 when Hernandez was arrested in the midst of the offseason, Welker defected leaving us with a totally new offense and Gronk missed most games first arm related and then ACL related. He was throwing to Slater, Mulligan and Austin Collie.

Now I agree that the JG competition woke the maniac in him and made him work even harder but lets not pretend that he was in some kind of downward spiral.

Kind of an exaggeration...I can't remember Slater catching any balls that year (maybe they were still pushing that awful play at that point). Mulligan and Collie were reserves. Maybe your point was that our reserves should not have even been on an NFL roster, but I just wanted to point out for everyone else that those were not among our leading receivers in 2013.

I think the most targeted players that year were Edelman (his breakout season), Amendola (while injured), Dobson, Thompkins, Hooman, and Vereen. Still very uninspiring. Hard to call 2013 a down year for Brady, just a down year for the team in general.

2013 was the only anomaly. He had 34+ Tds in the three years prior to that.

I'd say that had more to do with his top receivers from the prior year being either gone (Welker, Lloyd, Branch, Herhandez, Woodhead) or hurt (Gronk).

Replace them with some rookies (Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins) and voila, you have worse numbers.

Last edited:
2013 was the only anomaly. He had 34+ Tds in the three years prior to that.

I'd say that had more to do with his top receivers from the prior year being either gone (Lloyd, Branch, Herhandez, Woodhead) or hurt (Gronk).

Replace them with some rookies (Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins) and voila, you have worse numbers.
I forgot about Lloyd and Woody. Between them 114 catches and almost 1400 yds.

Kind of an exaggeration...I can't remember Slater catching any balls that year (maybe they were still pushing that awful play at that point). Mulligan and Collie were reserves. Maybe your point was that our reserves should not have even been on an NFL roster, but I just wanted to point out for everyone else that those were not among our leading receivers in 2013.

I think the most targeted players that year were Edelman (his breakout season), Amendola (while injured), Dobson, Thompkins, Hooman, and Vereen. Still very uninspiring. Hard to call 2013 a down year for Brady, just a down year for the team in general.

Sorry, I see my post was basically a copy of luuked's though I agree I wouldn't reference Mulligan, Slater, and Collie as receiving threats. Slater didnt' have any catches that year, and still to this day only has ONE catch on his resume.

And yes, Edelman did break out that year but he was the lone bright spot on the receiving staff. The offense as a whole was still far inferior to the one they had fielded the three years prior to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes