PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady inability to close out games

Status
Not open for further replies.

NG Pats Fan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
It has become major problem in the last few years. For whatever reason, in big games with the lead, he is unable to get the game ending first down to seal the deal.

* I won't even bother getting into the fact our defense may be the most unclutch in NFL history.

It's hard to close out games when your oc calls stupid plays and your offensive line sucks.

It has become major problem in the last few years. For whatever reason, in big games with the lead, he is unable to get the game ending first down to seal the deal.

* I won't even bother getting into the fact our defense may be the most unclutch in NFL history.

it's hard to get into a rhythm when the game is being called by 4 yr olds

Its hard to put that last drive on Brady. What the hell was that blocking scheme about?

Give me a freaking break, what part of that last offensive drive was Brady's fault?

This loss is on the Refs inability to make proper calls and Wilfork and the front 7 with an absolute dreadful 2nd half.

Brady is always the scapegoat around here.

Brady had a second down and 14 yards after another penalty in thier final posession to win the game but both plays included blitzes by the Ravens which the OL could not handle.

How is Brady supposed to complete a first down when he had less than 1 second before the blitz arrived?

Last edited:

To blame that on Brady is ludicrous, he was surrounded by Ravens, the Oline has to do a better job blocking.

oline folded in the final drive when they needed it

if only we had clock killin' Corey Dillon

It's always the same thing. We think the Pat are a balanced team, but they're not. When push comes to shove, they won't run the ball because they're afraid it won't work, and usually it doesn't. Brady played an A+ game tonight, where exactly did he go wrong? It is situations like these where you just need a guy to rip off seven yards on first down, and then you can use playaction.

The struggles the Pats have in the playoffs, in close games on the road, etc, is always because teams know they are one-dimensional, and when the game is on the line, they can't run the ball. Too much is expected of Brady. He's put in a situation where he shouldn't be forcing a ball into coverage (because of the interception risk), yet defenses aren't giving him anything underneath. That's why these drives always incur sacks or throwaways.

Why can't Brady just Peyton Manning the play at the line?

Please explain how it's Brady's fault that Ridley had a 1 yard run on first down and Brady got sacked on 2nd down, leading to a 3rd and 16....

if only we had clock killin' Corey Dillon

Well, we were using the hurry up offense, so we would have played Woodhead instead of Dillon.

I'm going to repost my earlier post here because it is appropriate:

I said it last week, now I am vindicated, Brady is now one of the biggest chokers in the game. Yes, yes, I know, the homers will point to games where he has come up with a drive late in the game when they are behind. The Dallas game last year for example. The real problem is that when they are already down, there's nothing to lose. And he can function. But I have never seen a quarterback fail as consistently as Brady when he has the slim lead late and just needs one solid drive to ice it.

Think back about how badly he crumbles in these big moments. Against the colts on the famous 4 and 2. Against the colts in 10 he couldn't engineer a drive to close it out, James sanders saved him with a pick though. Against the giants last year in both the regular season and the super bowl his drives sputtered giving the ball back to Eli with just enough time left. Against the colts in the 06 championship game he needed just one more first down and couldn't get it. Against the ravens last year in the title game he could not ice it, instead he threw incomplete to Hernandez which gave flacco time for that final drive that ended with a missed kick.

Then you have tonight, all Brady needed was one or two first downs. But he could not muster it. It is a definite pattern. And it has been a pattern since the acl injury. He sees phantom rushers and ducks under for no reason, or ducks under before the rusher gets there where a calmer qb who can actually operate under pressure would have side stepped. The worst part is that if that play happens during the middle of a game, Brady side steps the rush like a champ and throws a strike downfield. But when he has to protect a lead, he flounders. He's too worried about messing up a lead that is pre existing.

I don't know what the solution is except to start taking the ball out of his hands late and get a better running game. Or, you just have to try and throw non stop early and build a big lead when there is less pressure and he feels more comfortable to operate.

I said it last week, now I am vindicated, Brady is now one of the biggest chokers in the game. Yes, yes, I know, the homers will point to games where he has come up with a drive late in the game when they are behind. The Dallas game last year for example. The real problem is that when they are already down, there's nothing to lose. And he can function. But I have never seen a quarterback fail as consistently as Brady when he has the slim lead late and just needs one solid drive to ice it.

Think back about how badly he crumbles in these big moments. Against the colts on the famous 4 and 2. Against the colts in 10 he couldn't engineer a drive to close it out, James sanders saved him with a pick though. Against the giants last year in both the regular season and the super bowl his drives sputtered giving the ball back to Eli with just enough time left. Against the colts in the 06 championship game he needed just one more first down and couldn't get it. Against the ravens last year in the title game he could not ice it, instead he threw incomplete to Hernandez which gave flacco time for that final drive that ended with a missed kick.

Then you have tonight, all Brady needed was one or two first downs. But he could not muster it. It is a definite pattern. And it has been a pattern since the acl injury. He sees phantom rushers and ducks under for no reason, or ducks under before the rusher gets there where a calmer qb who can actually operate under pressure would have side stepped. The worst part is that if that play happens during the middle of a game, Brady side steps the rush like a champ and throws a strike downfield. But when he has to protect a lead, he flounders. He's too worried about messing up a lead that is pre existing.

I don't know what the solution is except to start taking the ball out of his hands late and get a better running game. Or, you just have to try and throw non stop early and build a big lead when there is less pressure and he feels more comfortable to operate.

Yeah, it's still a garbage post, no matter how many threads you put it in.

Please explain how it's Brady's fault that Ridley had a 1 yard run on first down and Brady got sacked on 2nd down, leading to a 3rd and 16....

Easy. Brady knows the situation. Ravens desperately need a stop and they're well known to be a blitzing team. They showed blitz up the middle. You mean to tell me he couldn't check out or call out to a tight receiver to be the hot read. It's like he gets tunnel vision, but I don't know what the hell he's looking at in the tunnel.

great..now the idiot is in this thread as well

Easy. Brady knows the situation. Ravens desperately need a stop and they're well known to be a blitzing team. They showed blitz up the middle. You mean to tell me he couldn't check out or call out to a tight receiver to be the hot read. It's like he gets tunnel vision, but I don't know what the hell he's looking at in the tunnel.

See, this is exactly the sort of reason that your argument sucks. The Ravens got pressure because the blocking failed, not because Brady didn't check out of the play.

You looked bad the first time you posted this, now your just looking like a troll, go home and go to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes