PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady: an honest take

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antdawg

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
With the completion of today's game, Tom's QBR this season will rest right around 88. In each of the last four seasons, starting with the suspension shortened season of 2016, Tom's QBR has declined. Tom's career average QBR is 97. He barely hit that last season and fell well below this season. Tom Brady will be 43 years old at the start of next season. If I'm BB, he doesn't get re-signed. I try to talk him into retiring as a Pat. He is playing well below Tom Brady averages now. He is no longer worth the investment. You can blame the offense all you want, but the steady 4-year decline is undebatable. It's not just QBR.. it's pretty much every stat that matters. They're all at 4 year lows this year. It's time to move on.

With the completion of today's game, Tom's QBR this season will rest right around 88. In each of the last four seasons, starting with the suspension shortened season of 2016, Tom's QBR has declined. Tom's career average QBR is 97. He barely hit that last season and fell well below this season. Tom Brady will be 43 years old at the start of next season. If I'm BB, he doesn't get re-signed. I try to talk him into retiring as a Pat. He is playing well below Tom Brady averages now. He is no longer worth the investment. You can blame the offense all you want, but the steady 4-year decline is undebatable. It's not just QBR.. it's pretty much every stat that matters. They're all at 4 year lows this year. It's time to move on.

I think it’s all about whether his elbow is a permanent recurring issue or is expected to heal and be okay. Unless he he goes nuts in the postseason, I don’t think many franchises will be bidding for him.

Basically agree. Only thing is we don't know how healthy his arm is. Regardless, no way would I pay him $30M next year.

Get ready to get trashed for that thread. But there’s some truth to that. If they could get him some star talent, that might be a different story. He’s not capable of taking it all on his back anymore. He needed help this time, wasn’t there.

Basically agree. Only thing is we don't know how healthy his arm is. Regardless, no way would I pay him $30M next year.

Nobody would pay him 30 million. Maybe half but even that’s pushing it.

I think it’s all about whether his elbow is a permanent recurring issue or is expected to heal and be okay. Unless he he goes nuts in the postseason, I don’t think many franchises will be bidding for him.

It's like nobody wants to admit it, but he is human. He will be 43. Stuff like tennis elbow is going to happen more and more. That's what happens when you get older. He has nothing left to prove. BB's best gift to Pats fans would be to talk him into retirement and work on Stidham's game.

Some terrible drops today though. Don't get me wrong brady was bad. Receivers were worse

If the elbow is a recurring thing he should probably hang it up this offseason. If it's not, the Pats should try to keep him around for another year. Not at $30M though, he's not going to get that from anyone and the Pats will call his bluff if he tries to command it. I suspect that next week will be his last home game in Gillette, though

It's time to move on.
It comes down to the contract and the team's long-term goals. With a 43 year old Tom Brady, we will claw our way to mediocrity at the very least if he stays healthy. However, Tom wants -- and NEEDS -- to be an elite talent on an elite team or he gets easily frustrated.

If Brady would resign for a very reduced contract, we could use that extra money to put a better team around him. However, even then the brutal schedule will likely lead to mediocrity.

I'd honestly rather just go with Stidham -- or a displaced starter like Andy Dalton for a year -- and regroup on offense as we start a rebuild.

In terms of Brady, I'm not sure any teams come calling after this falling off the cliff down the stretch. Maybe the Bears? We could be looking at Brady retiring.

Last edited:

His throws looked garbage today. More than likely the elbow was an issue. Then again as you get older you're more prone to nagging injuries and nagging tweaks. I don't think BB has an inclination to resign him but I also don't think Brady is resigned to retire and probably doesn't want to finish with BB anyways. BB didn't put out the goods for Brady to work with and made a complete asinine decision to let time run out at the end of the 1rst half today. (What's up with BB against Miami?)

Bottom line, it's best for both parties if Brady moves on. Having said that, I hope he gets a Bobby Orr retirement ceremony type send off by the fans. HE EARNED AND DESERVES IT!!!!

I think you guys really forget just how bad tennis elbow is for some one throwing. It effects so much, ball grip, accuracy, ect. If he had a receiver worth a **** maybe things would be slightly better. I don’t know. Sad to think next week could be his last game as a Pat but I respect whatever outcome. I root for the laundry, and the time to move on has to come at some point.

Get ready to get trashed for that thread. But there’s some truth to that. If they could get him some star talent, that might be a different story. He’s not capable of taking it all on his back anymore. He needed help this time, wasn’t there.

Losing Gronk, Brown and Gordon certainly didn't help. But elite QBs adapt. Tom was elite. He's knocking on 43 now though. No QB has ever been "elite" at that age.

His. Throwing. Arm. Is. Injured.

what part of this do people not understand?

It doesn't really matter if Brady is there next year or not, the Patriots won't be good at all.

Thus it would be smart to move on.

They are old and have won a lot. Fatigue is setting in.

Who would Brady even throw to next year? 34 year old Edelman and a bunch of 1st or 2nd year players?

Whole OL might be a mess.

No TE.

RBs are average, Burkhead and White getting old for a RB.

Brady would again have a much declining production, probably 2015 Peyton like.

It would be smart for him to retire and not get exposed as a washed up QB and for the Patriots to start rebuilding and grab a top notch QB in 2021 and in 2020 to pay Thuney etc, play younger players and see if Stidham is a good backup in the future or even trade material.

Man, I just don’t know how we can keep doing this.

I don’t see this somehow getting any better next year, injuries or not injuries. Starting to feel like it’s time...

Brady played 16 games...2 excellent, 2 good, 4 mediocre, and 8 God Awful...

His. Throwing. Arm. Is. Injured.

what part of this do people not understand?
The. Team. Is. Getting. Old.

It’s not just Tom here.

Zolak says it's lower body injury for Tom. Wore white shoes today

I'm going to get thrashed for this. But oh well. Here's my bottom line: Brady was just as much at fault for this season as anyone else. Did losing A.B. hurt? Yes. Did having a banged up Edelman hurt? Yes. But let's not pretend Brady went out of his way to work with the young receivers. And let's not pretend he was accurate. He wasn't.

But this won't nor shouldn't tarnish his legacy at all. He's 42. He's the GOAT. Nobody will remember the subpar play this year. At least I won't. I'll remember 28-3. And the 4th quarter of SB 49.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes