Todd Watkins ... I See Belichick Drafting This Kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This kid is a project and that plays right into belichicks hands. He may slide simply because his body is not ready. Belichick could grab him in the 3rd round if his spies show him slipping due to readiness. Love this kid and especially it leaves our 1st 2 picks available for immediate needs like CB / LB. He very well could be the best WR taken in this draft 3 years down the line. WR does not have many elite players this year...so the good ones are likely to slide duw to draft value when a team's pick comes up....IE "The best player available"...will usually be at another position.

http://2006.ontheclockdraft.com/profile.php?id=20050721053068426842

Todd Watkins is a tall, slender receiver with excellent speed. He has reportedly been clocked as fast as 4.28 in the 40 and is one of the most dangerous deep threats in college football. He runs crisp routes and has very good hands. He does a good job of adjusting to the ball while it is in the air and catches the ball with his hands at its highest point. He will make the tough catch in traffic and is very skilled at getting yards after the catch once the ball is in his hands. He lacks a great deal of experience at the division I level, having only played the past two seasons for BYU after transferring from Grossmont Junior College. He isn’t a very physical receiver—He needs to add bulk and increase his strength to use his body rather than just his speed to gain separation. He struggles getting off the line off scrimmage against the jam and needs to improve his blocking to become a more complete receiver at the professional level. Although he has some areas of his game he needs to work on, Todd Watkins’ big play ability cannot be ignored. He should be among the top receivers selected in the 2006 NFL draft.

Last edited:
T.Wadkins

F.B.N.

Nice work here. sounds like a good prospect for the Pats.... Intriguing.

He isnt on GBN's (who i think is the best) 2-round mock.. have you heard any projections on round?

PatsWorldChamps said:
He isnt on GBN's (who i think is the best) 2-round mock.. have you heard any projections on round?

Anywhere from 2-4...some sites list him as the 17th best and others say he is the best...all potential and that is the problem. The way I see it is Belichick won't take a receiver in the 1st round, it's against his salary cap priorities.

So when you look down the list of a weak crop you get alot of 4.5 and 4.55 guys....and it stays that way all the way to Watkins. So I figure if we grab him...he'll be a decent receiver for 5 years of cheap money. Seems like he'll be at least a 3 in a year or 2 and we all know how Belichick likes these guys to open up the run.

Watkins is one of my favorite WR in this draft and I would love to get him. Great athlete but just didn't have the season people were expecting from him, though his numbers weren't bad at all. Where he goes depends if there is a run on WR or not. He could sneak into the 2nd, but there is a good chance he could be there for our 1st 4th rounder as well. I wouldn't mind drafting 2 WR this year midrounds because there is a lot of quality.

I like Watkins. One of the things that they don't mention is that he can KICK as well. Yes. You heard me. KICK. He could be the Pats version of Miami's Wes Welker.

Total wimp, he gets bumped and he's done. So he needs to seriously hit the weights. Kind of like Martin Nance as well in the fact that he's been hyped up so much with his speed, yet he rarely shows it, definitely isn't an "effort" player, and can go without a catch for awhile in big games when covered. I didn't like him last year when he was close to declaring and I don't like him this year.

I like the 6ft 3. I like the speed. It does seem as he need the weight room experience but if you're drafting him as a project.

I was thrilled with the draft om M. Hill as a project in round 2. However, he hasn't come around as fast as I thought. Maybe this year?

So, what round should we take this guy if he is a project?

I think that Watkins would be a good 3rd round pick. Watkins is still listed as a TOP 5 WR from this draft, but this draft is actually weak at WR, so that isn't saying much.

BTW, I am amazed that Stovall has jumped up so much. His stock is sky-rocketing and any hope of him falling to the Pats in the 3rd or 4th round is gone.

In the BB system, the WRs have to be able to get off the LOS and into their routes very quickly. They also have to have the quickness to create separation.
However BB has drafted some projects at WR, (B Johnson, Givans) so it's not inconceivable that he would take a chance on this type guy.

Ochmed Jones said:
However BB has drafted some projects at WR, (B Johnson, Givans) so it's not inconceivable that he would take a chance on this type guy.

Yeah, but he's never drafted anyone this "frail". Even the smurfs are solidly built.

rookBoston said:
Yeah, but he's never drafted anyone this "frail". Even the smurfs are solidly built.

Bethel Johnson is built? Hmm.. Guess that's why he's been injured so much.

DaBruinz said:
Bethel Johnson is built? Hmm.. Guess that's why he's been injured so much.

he wasn't so much when he was drafted, but he definitely added mass the last couple of years...but yeah...he won't make the club from the tub this year I don't think...

this Watkins guy sounds like PK Sam...meh...give me Bam!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back