SOURCE:WEEI

SOURCE:NESN

SOURCE:Boston.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Today in Patriots History Thread

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by jmt57, Apr 15, 2017.

1. PatsFans.com Article

PatsFans.com Article Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4,632
    Today in Patriots History: Ty Law

John Morgan

Happy 46th birthday to New England Patriots cornerback Ty Law. The Pro Football Hall of Famer had a total of 40 interceptions for the Pats, including four in the postseason.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

for those with corona click phobia:

[​IMG]

Today In Patriots History
    Ty Law

Happy 46th birthday to Ty Law
    Born February 10, 1974 in Aliquippa, PA
    Patriot CB 1974-2004; uniform #24
    Patriots first round (23rd overall) selection of the 1995 draft, from Michigan

The résumé speaks for itself:
    • Pro Football Hall of Fame, 2019
    • Patriots Hall of Fame, 2014
    • Patriots All-Decade Team of the 1990s
    • Patriots All-Decade Team of the 2000s
    • NFL All-Decade Team of the 2000s
    • Three-time Super Bowl Champion: 36, 38, 39
    • Two-time First Team All Pro: 1998, 2003
    • Four Pro Bowls: 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005

New England Patriots Franchise Records:
    • 36 career interceptions ranks 1st in Pats history (tied with Raymond Clayborn)
    • 583 career interception return yards ranks 1st in team history
    • Six career pick-sixes ranks 1st in franchise history
    • 539 career solo tackles ranks 4th
    • Four-time team season leader in interceptions – 1998, 2000, 2002, 2003
    • Only player in team history to record three interceptions in a single playoff game (January 18, 2004 off Peyton Manning vs the Indianapolis Colts)

Playoff Stats with Patriots
    :
    • 12 games played (Pats went 9-3)
    • 4 interceptions, one touchdown, eight pass deflections; 34 tackles (31 solo)

Regular Season Stats with Patriots
    :
    • 141 games played
    • 36 interceptions, returned for 583 yards and six touchdowns
    • 65 passes defensed, 3 forced fumbles, 4 fumble recoveries
    • 635 tackles (539 solo), 12 tackles for a loss, 4 sacks
    • Led NFL in pass deflections (23) in 1993
    • Led NFL in interceptions (9) in 1994
    • Led NFL in interceptions returned for a touchdown (2) in 2001

Besides Ty Law there are a few other (far less well known) Patriots born on this date.

Happy 74th birthday to Hubie Bryant
    Born February 10, 1946 in Pittsburgh
    Patriot PR/KR/WR, 1971-1972; uniform #45, #84
    Claimed off waivers from Pittsburgh on Sept 9, 1971

In a 1971 28-20 victory versus Houston Bryant had five receptions for 79 yards – including a 10 yard TD catch from Jim Plunkett that gave the Pats a lead they never relinquished. That was the season that gave Pats fans of that era a glimmer of hope. After winning just two games the previous season the Pats finished 6-8 with the rookie Plunkett under center.

Hubie Bryant spent seven years playing professional football between the NFL, CFL and WFL. Since then he has been a coach at Virginia Union University, St. Paul College and Virginia University of Lynchburg. Bryant has been with the Pittsburgh Job Corps Center since 2015.

Happy 70th birthday to Rodrigo Barnes
    Born February 10, 1950 in Waco, Texas
    Patriot LB 1974-1975; uniform #59, #55
    Claimed off waivers from Dallas on Nov 11, 1974

Rodrigo Barnes was a seventh round draft pick by the Cowboys in 1971, from Rice. At one time he had been projected to go much earlier than that, but his draft stock fell due to teams being wary of his being a vocal proponent of civil rights. He played in six games for the Patriots and is credited with one fumble recovery. Barnes earned a super bowl ring with the Raiders in 1976 but had to retire the following year after multiple knee injuries.

From 1979 to 1981 Barnes was a general manager and coach in the USFL. He went back to college to get his masters and has been in the education field since 1983. Rodrigo Barnes is now an assistant principal in Garland Texas.

[​IMG]

Long before Colin Kaepernick took a knee, Rodrigo Barnes raised hell and lost a career | Dallas News

Happy 71st birthday to Irvin Mallory
    Born Feb 10, 1949 in Glen Allen VA
    Patriot safety 1971; uniform #43

Irvin Mallory was a late draft pick by the Bengals in 1971, from Virginia Union. He played in the first two games of the 1971 season for the Patriots, with one kickoff return for 19 yards. Mallory was inducted into the Virginia Union Hall of Fame in 2010.

Other pro football players born on this date with a New England connection include:

Jim Rourke, 63 (1957)
    Born in Weymouth; BC High; Boston College
    Jim was an offensive tackle in the NFL from 1980 to 1988, primarily with the Chiefs.

Jim Rourke filled in for the Bengals | The Boston Globe

Jim Rourke (1999) – Varsity Club Hall of Fame | Boston College Athletics

A standout at Boston College High School, Jim Rourke continued his distinguished playing career at Boston College. A three-year starter at offensive guard/tackle, he was noted for his incredible blocking techniques. He started every game in his junior and senior seasons and was selected to play in both the Blue-Gray Game and the Senior Bowl. He enjoyed a six-year NFL career, playing six seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs and one each with the New Orleans Saints and the Cincinnati Bengals.

Elijah Wilkinson, 25 (1995)
    UMass
    The 6’6, 329 pound lineman went undrafted in 2017, but is now a starting guard for Denver.

Elijah Wilkinson – Football | University of Massachusetts Athletics

Ray Monaco (1918-2002)
    Born and raised in Providence; Central High School in Providence; Holy Cross
    Ray was an NFL offensive lineman in the mid forties.

Don Deeks (1923-1995)
    Boston Yanks
    The Oregon native was the 31st overall pick of the 1945 draft. He played left tackle for Boston at Fenway Park from 1945-1947, and later played for the Packers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Actual Pats Fan

Actual Pats Fan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,073
    That's the thing.

Steelers and Raiders just suck, and were all butt hurt when we beat them in '76...However, I never flipped them off. All personal feelings aside, in all objectivity, they suck. We don't.

So they are left to be babies and hate us for no reason except jealousy. In 1976. Poor, little, downtrodden, "broken and ridiculed" Billy Sullivan Patriots of 1976.

It really says something that we've been the adults in the room. Apparently we're supposed to apologize for being classy, intelligent, sportsmanlike and just plain good.

Don't fall for the B.S. that this all started this century.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PatsFans.com Article

Ratings:
    +4,632
    Today in Patriots History: Bethel Johnson

John Morgan

Happy 41st birthday to Bethel Johnson. The New England Patriots kick returner, wide receiver and two time Super Bowl champion turns 41 today. Johnson is best remembered for an electrifying 41 yard touchdown reception in a freezing cold playoff game against Tennessee.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

[​IMG]

Happy 41st birthday to Bethel Johnson
    Born February 11, 1979 in Dallas
    Patriot KR and WR, 2003-2005; uniform #81
    Pats 2nd round (45th overall) selection of the 2003 draft, from Texas A&M

Bethel Johnson grew up in the Dallas suburb of Corsicana, then traveled a couple hours south to Texas A&M. As a member of the Aggies he set what was then a school record for receptions and receiving yards. He and Ty Warren were teammates at College Station.

Johnson had modest numbers as a member of the Patriots. In 39 regular season games he made seven starts, with 30 receptions for 450 yards and four touchdowns. His performance on kickoff returns was superior, averaging 25.1 yards on 102 returns with two touchdowns.

Those numbers back up a case for Bethel Johnson being a major draft bust when considering how early he was selected. The question that is not asked though is why did the Patriots use a second round pick on Johnson, when they already had two young receivers (David Givens, Deion Branch) and a pair of solid veterans (Troy Brown, David Patten)? Considering the competition it is no wonder Johnson saw limited playing time.

That is not to say that Bethel Johnson did not have any memorable moments for Pats fans. In 2003 he returned a kickoff 92 yards against the Colts as time in the first half expired, giving the Patriots a 24-10 lead. That was the same game that ended with Willie McGinest stonewalling Edgerrin James on 4th-and-1 for a 38-34 victory. Then in the 2003 postseason versus Tennessee Johnson had another clutch performance. In the freezing cold he hauled in a 41 yard pass for a touchdown to give the Pats an early lead. Then on 3rd-and-13 Johnson took a screen pass, reversed direction, got a block from Tom Brady and then managed to gain 14 yards, leading to New England’s second touchdown.

The Patriots went undefeated in Bethel Johnson’s six postseason games.

As a rookie Johnson made it a point to put money away and plan for the future. He is now back in Texas working as a financial adviser.

“I got into this about three years ago, because I wanted to help our guys in this industry to stop going broke and help guys understand how money works. I look at it as, ‘These guys are my brothers.’ Whether they played before me, or after me, we’re all in the same fraternity. The last thing you want to read is that a player’s money was mismanaged by someone who took advantage of them. I understand what players go through, because I was one of those guys, but I was different in how I saw money. I wasn’t a big spender.”

“I got my signing bonus and said, ‘Listen, I may never see this money again, so I want this to last me the rest of my life. What I don’t want to do is go back to being broke.’ That was the game plan.”

Other February 10 Patriots birthdays

Happy 23rd birthday to Damien Harris
    Born February 11, 1997 in Richmond, Kentucky
    Patriot RB, 2019-present; uniform #37
    Pats third round (87th overall) selection of the 2019 draft, from Alabama

2019 was a redshirt season for Damien Harris. He was out with a hamstring injury for three games and was a healthy scratch fifteen times. His playing time was limited to brief appearances in two games against the Jets. In week three Harris was on the field for five special team snaps, and in week seven he had four carries for twelve yards while getting off the bench for five plays. Even when the Patriots were thin at running back due to Rex Burkhead’s injury Harris was invisible.

Happy birthday to Dick Klein, who would have been 86 today
    1934-2005; born in Pana, Illinois
    Patriot OT and DT, 1961-1962; uniform #62
    Signed as a veteran free agent on August 4, 1961

Richard James ‘Sleepy’ Klein began his pro football career as a draft pick by the Chicago Bears in 1955. He played in 24 games over two seasons with the Boston Patriots. In 1962 Klein and Charlie Long were both named to the AFL All-Star team at offensive tackle. In his post-football career Dick Klein owned and operated his own business selling municipal and industrial chemicals.

[​IMG]

Happy 66th birthday to Ricky Feacher
    Born February 11, 1954 in Crystal River, Florida
    Patriot WR, 1976; uniform #83
    Pats tenth round (270th overall) selection of the 1976 draft, from Mississippi Valley State

Ricky Feacher made the initial roster as a rookie in 1976, appearing in the first three games of the season. He had two receptions for 38 yards and returned ten kickoffs. Unfortunately he also fumbled the ball three times, although he was at least able to recover two of those miscues. Chuck Fairbanks released Feacher the day after a week three game turnover filled game against Pittsburgh. Cleveland picked Feacher up two weeks later and he would go on to play nine seasons with the Browns.

Other Feb 11 birthdays with a New England connection
    Dennis Gaubatz, 80 (1940)
    Pats 25th round (199th overall) selection of the 1963 AFL draft
    The Patriots took a late round flyer on the linebacker from LSU. Gaubatz opted to sign with Detroit, who had drafted him in the eighth round of the NFL draft. He was a seven year starter in the NFL and played for the Colts in Super Bowl III.

Max Bullough, 28 (1992)
    Grandson of Patriot coach Hank Bullough
    Linebacker with the Texans from 2014-2016.

Alex Clement (1904-1970)
    Born in Plymouth MA; Chicopee High School; Phillips Exeter; Williams College
    Frankford Yellow Jackets wingback in the twenties.

Sam Young (1905-1991)
    Providence Steam Roller
    Halfback played briefly during the 1927 season.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. captain stone

captain stone Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +8,986
    Anquan Boldin.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pats_premi

pats_premi Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +761
    He didn’t have smarts to use his exceptional talent to become a receiver. What a waste.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +8,783
    Yeah, the next WR would definitely have been the far better choice.

Charlie Weis says Bethel Johnson was a Patriot who 'didn't get it'

On the other hand look at who was selected immediately prior (Taylor Jacobs), and who the number two overall pick was (Charles Rogers). Two wide receivers with similar career stats but without the kickoff returns.

Since the Patriots already had Deion Branch and David Givens from the previous draft, plus Troy Brown and David Patten - it seems like an odd time to draft a wide receiver. Granted this is with the benefit of hindsight, but some of those available at other positions were TE Jason Witten (the Pats drafted Ben Watson a year later), LB Lance Briggs (Bruschi, Phifer and Ted Johnson were all 30-35 years old in 2003), DE Osi Umenyiora (probably unlikely though since they had already drafted Ty Warren in the first round) or an offensive lineman (OT Wade Smith, G Derrick Dockery).

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Elijah

Elijah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,335
    I, too, remain bitter about a mediocre (but not complete bust) 2nd round pick we've won 5 Super Bowls since.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Sad Sad x 1
  8. Hyped

Hyped PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,127
    I loved his crazy double reverse for a first down in that playoff win vs. the McNair Titans...it was a HUGE first down.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. PatsFans.com Article

Ratings:
    +4,632
    Today in Patriots History: Clive Rush is electrocuted

John Morgan

On February 12, 1969 the Boston Patriots held a press conference to announce the hiring of George Sauer as their new general manager. Sauer had worked with new head coach Clive Rush with the New York Jets as the director of player personnel. Both were viewed by Billy Sullivan as winners who would lead the Pats to glory, duplicating the results they experienced with the Jets defeating Baltimore in Super Bowl III.

Nobody would remember Sauer, but the press conference would proceed to become an unforgettable moment in the history of the Patriots franchise. It was also an omen of the Clive Rush era – or error.

Continue reading...

• Like Like x 2
  10. FCB02062

FCB02062 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +5,794
    Aside from the Tennessee Ice Bowl game, my biggest Bethel Johnson memory was the opening kickoff return td in 04 vs cleveland. on paper this was one of the biggest mismatches in the league all season. i don't think the league quite realized how good the 04 pats were at this points, and if iirc, the media was still clinging to Indianapolis. Anywhoooo...Pats go into Cleveland as 11 or 12 point favorites...Belichick vs interim coach terry robiskie (his first game i believe)...Pats led 42-7 mid 4th quarter...

• Like Like x 1
  11. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +6,682
    I was about to say, how did a thread about bethel Johnson blow up so fast.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. PatsFans.com Article

Ratings:
    +4,632
    Today in Patriots History: Randy Moss

John Morgan

Happy 43rd birthday to Randy Gene Moss, the pride of Rand, West Virginia. Although he played in New England for a much shorter time than Stanley Morgan, the argument can be made that Moss is the greatest wide receiver in Patriots history.

Continue reading...

• Like Like x 1
  13. FCB02062

FCB02062 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +5,794
    "Rand University"

14. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29,119
    N'Keal Harry >>>> Prime Moss

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. PatsFans.com Article

Ratings:
    +4,632
    Today in Patriots History: Drew Bledsoe

John Morgan

Happy birthday to Drew Bledsoe. The Patriots Hall of Fame quarterback was the face of the franchise from 1993 to 2000. His strong arm resulted in clutch plays and 17 fourth quarter comebacks. Bledsoe led the Pats to the playoffs four times in his first six seasons and their first super bowl appearance in eleven years. More importantly he gave fans hope and excitement after the dark period between those two AFC championships.

Continue reading...

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  16. PatsFans.com Article

Ratings:
    +4,632
    Today in Patriots History: Art Modell fires Bill Belichick

John Morgan

Art Modell fired not one, but two of the greatest coaches in football history: Belichick and Paul Brown. That alone should permanently exclude him from any consideration for the Hall of Fame.

Continue reading...

• Like Like x 3
  17. Pape

Pape Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +889
    Yeah, this statement isn't really reflective of reality ... one would need to look at the Ravens and chart their hirings/firings/successes in a post Belichick world ... The current iteration of the Browns are a completely different team that was effectively reborn in 1999 ... except for the name, they have zero connection to the teams of the past... It would have been like the AFL allowing the Buffalo Bills to co-opt the history of the other Buffalo Bills team in the AAFC

The nfl never should have allowed the history of the franchise to "remain with the city" ... That history is the story of the ravens franchise pre-1999 ... They were not and never should have been considered a new franchise...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Pat the Pats Fan

Pat the Pats Fan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,359
    Modell, such a genius business man. Given a sweetheart deal by Baltimore and a new stadium to move the browns and he still couldn’t keep his head above water. Had to sell part of franchise to biscotti. Ravens success wasn’t a testament to modell, it was a testament to their gm, Ozzie newsome.

• Like Like x 2