PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tight End - A Very High Draft Need

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the Patriots lost because they couldnt replace Gronk with a similar quality TE. If they could, the Patriots would be Superbowl champs right now.
The New England Patriots lost the Super Bowl because the New England Patriots offensive pass-run ratio was completely out of whack, the New England Patriots wide receivers did not pick up the slack (see Ochostinko), the New England Patriots defense was on the field for 37 minutes.

The New England Patriots have zero wide receiver depth after Wes Welker unless you are willing to take another chance on a slow and injury prone Deion Branch for another season. Over reliance on the tight end position is one of the reasons the New England Patriots lost the Super Bowl since the New England Patriots offense did not offer enough diversity, especially in the passing game.

you are absolutely right....

which is why the pats need to go out and spend money on a WR via free agency and draft a TE.

based on the fact that the pats seem to be more effective at drafting TE's, this also makes sense.

the pats have some $$ to spend.....they should spend it on a WR....or 2

The New England Patriots have zero wide receiver depth after Wes Welker unless you are willing to take another chance on a slow and injury prone Deion Branch for another season. Over reliance on the tight end position is one of the reasons the New England Patriots lost the Super Bowl since the New England Patriots offense did not offer enough diversity, especially in the passing game.

This

Gronk had 17 TDs and Stinko had 1. Find a real WR through FA or the draft who isnt as sharp as a hammer.

Insanity is thinking that all our 2012 needs are going to be met through the 2012 draft. What is insane is to think that our current needs will be the needs at the time of the draft. My post discussed projected DRAFT needs, NOT team needs as of now. I understand that reading comprehesion is an acquired skill that many never quite get.
=========
OF COURSE, as of now, with no free agency, with no re-signing of players, TE is not a need in the first two rounds. OF COURSE, there are many, many higher needs.
But then, I expect belichick to meet some of our needs through re-signing of players and through signing of free agents.

As of now, we would have to replace Welker, Branch, Ochocinco, Connolly, Koppen, Green-Ellis, Carter, Anderson, Ellis, Warren, and Slater.

Many of us wanted a 3rd TE last year. Belichick did. He drafted the best blocking TE in the 2011 draft. He brought in a top UDFA. It didn't work out.

It is you have a knee-jerk reaction to those who have understood just how much Belichick values TE's of all types: blockers, receivers, h-backs, and those who can do more than one of the above. Folks like you have objected to Belichick's high value on TE's since he drafted Graham and Watson.

The bottom line is that teams (and posters) place different value on the TE position. Many teams and posters place higher or lower value on depth. I plae a high value on TE's. I believe that Belichick does also. There may be teams that value TE's more highly than we do, but there aren't many.

And just BTW, I would be fine with signing an Alge Crumpler equivalent in free agency. He presented HUGE value to the team. Such a player would be more valuable to the 2012 season than almost any draft choice we make, especially considering where we draft.

You are absolutely insane. Just a typical knee-jerk response to an injury that occurred during the AFC Playoffs.

The New England Patriots have far greater needs at the following positions:

Defense
3-4 Defensive End (NT-Wilfork, Love, Brace, DE-Deaderick, Pryor)
3-4 Outside Linebacker (Ninkovich)
Cornerback (Arrington, Dowling, McCourty, Moore)
Free Safety (a complete joke)

As far as I am concerned, the New England Patriots need at least one 3-4 defensive end, who is not a liability against the run and can rush the passer, via the NFL draft which is a far greater need than a third tight end.

As far as I am concerned, the New England Patriots need at least one 3-4 outside linebacker, who is not a liability against the run and can rush the passer, via the NFL draft which is a far greater need than a third tight end.

The New England Patriots need at least two legitimate NFL free safeties which is a far greater need than a third tight end.

Offense
Wide Receiver (Welker, Edelman)

The New England Patriots need at least three wide receivers via unrestricted free agency and the 2012 NFL Draft which is a far greater need than a third tight end.

The New England Patriots lost the Super Bowl because the New England Patriots offensive pass-run ratio was completely out of whack, the New England Patriots wide receivers did not pick up the slack (see Ochostinko), the New England Patriots defense was on the field for 37 minutes.

They lost because all phases of the team made mistakes that were costly and because their second best receiver was essentially limited to decoy status, not because of the run/pass ratio.

Last edited:
Not a Great a deal as you are making it mgteich: I want NONE of our First Four Picks being a TE. Maybe our 7thRounder are a FA...we have GREAT NEEDS at DE/OLB -WR and CB...in that order. TE is the least of our worries...our Third TE might not even dress on game days think about that Gronk is Elite Hernandez is very good get them Great WR to compliment them.

No, but there is a rule stipulating that a first round TE is madness.

Yeah, and people that adhere to it are morons. How many teams, if they could redo their 2010 draft, would have taken Gronk or Ahern in the 1st round?

A million times, this.

People are actually talking seriously about taking another TE with the first pick?

Also, it's worth noting that losing a TE wouldn't have been such a grievous blow if our wide receivers didn't suck.

Best post in the entire thread...cannot belive this thread is already three pages.:rolleyes:

LOL. It was for 37min because it couldnt stop them at all. Shortest Giant drive was 9 plays.

The best way to improve this defense is to keep it off the field as long as possible. The best way to do that is to have an pretty much unstoppable offence. The heavily TE based NE Patriots offense run very well even with Ochostiko and old man Branch, until Gronk was injured. Someone who can replace Gronk, with similar size and good hands, and can also play outside WR, would be ideal for this offense. Certainly worth a first round pick.

The pass-run ratio didnt matter. The Patriots were very close (inches away) from winning with this pass-run ratio.

Yeah, and people that adhere to it are morons. How many teams, if they could redo their 2010 draft, would have taken Gronk or Ahern in the 1st round?

How many teams have two TEs on the roster of Gronk and Ahern's respective caliber heading into the 2010 draft?

Oh btw all you people that are saying we need a good #3 TE, I believe what you're actually trying to say is that we need a good #3 WR.

you are absolutely right....

which is why the pats need to go out and spend money on a WR via free agency and draft a TE.

based on the fact that the pats seem to be more effective at drafting TE's, this also makes sense.

the pats have some $$ to spend.....they should spend it on a WR....or 2
The New England Patriots are not going to put three tight ends on the field as their base offense. The New England Patriots need at least three wide receivers to be added to the roster to compliment Wes Welker. Not all the wide receiver needs will be filled via unrestricted free agency since there exists a financial restriction called the salary cap.

As someone pointed out earlier, the New England Patriots can sign a third tight end via unrestricted free agency as was the case with Alge Crumpler for the 2010-11 NFL Season.

The New England Patriots need to vastly upgrade the defense via the 2012 NFL Draft in lieu of a third tight end.

The best way to improve this defense is to keep it off the field as long as possible.

No. The best way to improve this defense is to add better defensive players to the roster. Something you are likely not doing to the greatest extent possible if you are drafting tight ends in the first round.

putting your 3rd TE on the field on occasion is still having him as a backup.

Not if you go with 3 TEs a substantial fraction of the time.

A #3 TE could be just as much a starter as a nickel CB, or as a #3 WR, or as a member of an RB-by-committee group.

Last edited:
Wouldn't place it as a very high need in the draft at all to be honest, we have two very good starters who you would solely focus on developing. You need a guy who can step in and keep things ticking over should an injury happen, if you indeed chose to go with three TE's.

If your going offence and you said Reciever then I'd agree, then again I wouldn't take one over anything that coud make a difference on D this April.

Not if you go with 3 TEs a substantial fraction of the time.

A #3 TE could be just as much a starter as a nickel CB, or as a #3 WR, or as a member of an RB-by-committee group.

OK, Ian really needs to institute a drug testing policy for this site. It's pretty clear that a whole lot of people are blotto today. This team has desperate needs at WR, S and DE/OLB, yet people want to argue in favor of spending a first round pick on a #3 tight end.

Last edited:
OK, Ian really needs to institute a drug testing policy for this site. It's pretty clear that a whole lot of people are blotto today.

I cannot believe this thread is already Six pages.:snob:

OK, Ian really needs to institute a drug testing policy for this site. It's pretty clear that a whole lot of people are blotto today.

As always, you are the epitome of courtesy, likeability and sweet reason.
:youtheman:

My post discussed projected DRAFT needs, NOT team needs as of now.
Wasting a draft pick on a third tight is sheer lunacy considering the New England Patriots defensive deficiencies. A third tight end is the lowest priority for the current New England Patriots roster.

And just BTW, I would be fine with signing an Alge Crumpler equivalent in free agency. He presented HUGE value to the team. Such a player would be more valuable to the 2012 season than almost any draft choice we make, especially considering where we draft.

Yeah, Alge was a HUGE value when he dropped that sure TD vs the Jets in the playoffs last year. HUGE HUGE IMMENSE value.

Alge is a prime example why you need quality backups at very important positions. They went to him instead of Gronk and he dropped. Great value.

Fleener would be more valuable than any players like Alge in FA. Similar size to Gronk, great hands, great leap, gets separation, make physical catches in tight coverage. It would be insane to pass on Gronk 2.0 and waste another high pick patching that awful defence,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes