PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thursday Day Night Football: Saints @ Jerryworld Official Game Thread

Good post. I never saw Mayo as being that fast at all. Not slow, but not "speedy". I do think there's a difference between 40-speed and game speed. Maybe it's scheme. I just see opposing TEs and RBs routinely (and this has been happening for years) run away from our LBs. So maybe it's coverage skills and not speed? I dunno. But we haven't been fast at LB for some time.
With Mayo it was the scheme that "slowed" him down here. That cat was flat-out FAST. If you threw him in that Dallas D which is an attacking/swarming D he'd be all over the place.

With that said, when Mayo was healthy he racked up an absurd # of tackles

Gary Guyton was a fast Lb back in the early 2000s as well, I think they even had him playing out of the safety position at times

Roosevelt Colvin maybe? Although he was never the same player after that hip injury

Adalius Thomas was pretty fast too I recall, but turned into a total bust of a signing for us

But yea, cupboard has been bare for awhile in terms of fast Lbs
Guyton flew all over the place. Fast dude.

His problem was he regressed as a tackler and was dog poop at the point of attack.

Man if that kid shows back up and ends up getting cut or something...we badly need him to be good. He seemed to actually have good awareness to go with the speed. Why was he such a late pick?

I think he was mostly used as a thumper in college so scouts didn't see his potential to be a more complete player.

I think it's a combination of scheme responsibility, coaching, and the individual's coverage ability. Measurements are also poor substitutes for reaction and processing speed. Sometimes a slower guy with great instincts and game knowledge gets moving a step sooner, and that makes all the difference. Remember, we used to have this specimen on the roster (I think he made over 30 starts for the Patriots, in fact), but I don't know that any of us would consider him a tier 1 coverage LB.

Height: 6015
Weight: 245
40 Yrd Dash: 4.47
20 Yrd Dash: 2.53
10 Yrd Dash: 1.46
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 16
Vertical Jump: 40
Broad Jump: 10'06"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.33
3-Cone Drill: 7.07

Any guesses without looking him up?
Gary Guyton. But I remember him as being 6-2 ish. The measurables look like Mayo.

With Mayo it was the scheme that "slowed" him down here. That cat was flat-out FAST. If you threw him in that Dallas D which is an attacking/swarming D he'd be all over the place.

With that said, when Mayo was healthy he racked up an absurd # of tackles
I agree that the scheme slowed him down. He showed he could be an impact LB when he was allowed to run downhill. I didn’t like the read and react Mayo.

Ditto with Collins minus the freelancing.

wrong thread

Gary Guyton was a fast Lb back in the early 2000s as well, I think they even had him playing out of the safety position at times

Roosevelt Colvin maybe? Although he was never the same player after that hip injury

Adalius Thomas was pretty fast too I recall, but turned into a total bust of a signing for us

But yea, cupboard has been bare for awhile in terms of fast Lbs
Guyton made the team in 2008.

Colvin was never a sideline to sideline guy. He was mostly a pass rusher. He was still pretty good after the injury in 2003. His injury in 2007 was a big loss as Thomas couldn’t cover TE’s.

Thomas was pretty fast but mostly a pass rusher in Baltimore. He played well in 2007 and picked up the slack with Colvin’s injury in the pass rush department and had 2 sacks in the Super Bowl. Almost had 3 on that helmet catch play. He was also playing well in 2008 but got injured. He didn’t like his role the following year and that was how it ended.

Gary Guyton. But I remember him as being 6-2 ish. The measurables look like Mayo.

He measured at 6 feet, 1 inch, and an additional 5/8ths of an inch at the Combine. I'll give him the 6-2, because 3/8ths of an inch isn't really worth quibbling over. ;)

Colvin was never a sideline to sideline guy. He was mostly a pass rusher. He was still pretty good after the injury in 2003. His injury in 2007 was a big loss as Thomas couldn’t cover TE’s.

Thomas was pretty fast but mostly a pass rusher in Baltimore. He played well in 2007 and picked up the slack with Colvin’s injury in the pass rush department and had 2 sacks in the Super Bowl. Almost had 3 on that helmet catch play. He was also playing well in 2008 but got injured. He didn’t like his role the following year and that was how it ended.
...and Ray Lewis will tell you he made AD.

Asshat

I have to say, I love checking out this site, it's a cut above most. This site, the big Chiefs site, Saintsreport and Extremeskins are worth the time, the rest are not great with the possible exception of Panthers Huddle, but that's more of a "I'm laughing at you, not with you" kinda thing. They have fun though.

peace out

You're losing me here. That place is a cesspool! Even Phrein denounced that site and suggested the blackandgold forum. I still remember that idiot on saintsreport in 2013 made a guarantee that the Pats would lose a bunch of games in a row including the Saints game. Idiot quoted himself in a signature thinking he was such a genius. Turns out he was just an idiot because the Pats beat the Saints...o_O

Yeah, LVE was my favorite overall prospect on defense. Dallas can run the ball and has a good defense. They have a formula that has historically made teams tough outs in the postseason. The kind of team that travels well.
Good thing this guy is coaching the team then...

giphy.gif

Yep. Bentley too. Good call. He was a good pick. It’s still a shame that he waited so long to address the need.
Curious, is Bentley actually fast? Faster than Roberts and Hightower no doubt, but how does his speed compare to the speedy linebackers around the league?

I thuoght i remembered an article about Rex Ryan being absolutely giddy about Adalius Thomas, and how he was the "future of the league" where defense would just be 11 players like him.. and showed videos where they put him out wide on WRs and TEs even

I thuoght i remembered an article about Rex Ryan being absolutely giddy about Adalius Thomas, and how he was the "future of the league" where defense would just be 11 players like him.. and showed videos where they put him out wide on WRs and TEs even
Yes, that was Thomas' claim to fame.

Bentley was pretty quick and looked good early on. Can't predict a kid is going to get hurt in Week 3.
Bentley was more instinctive than he was ever quick, and he'll always be a liability in space.

Yep. Bentley too. Good call. He was a good pick. It’s still a shame that he waited so long to address the need.
If Bill wanted the best LB available at 143, then he should've picked Genard Avery, not Bentley.

Curious, is Bentley actually fast? Faster than Roberts and Hightower no doubt, but how does his speed compare to the speedy linebackers around the league?
Bentley is more instinctive than he is fast. He's probably faster than Hightower is now, but I don't believe that he's faster than Roberts. Little Elandon's problem is that he just plain ol' Sucks.

Yes. Do you recall his fumble-six in the preseason?

Should be on YouTube.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back