PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ANNOUNCEMENT Thread Mute Function Added

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
As promised, just spent this weekend working on a function for the board where you can now mute a user (or users) in a specific thread. When you click on the "mute" button, it will remove that users' posts and responses from appearing for the duration of that single thread. It should hopefully make things a little easier when people get off course in one thread, while making it where you don't necessarily need to ignore them board-wide.

After you mute someone and you refresh, there's an alert that will appear that you can click on to "unmute" them as you see fit. This is sort of the first version of this and I'll be tweaking it, but it's up and running for anyone who wants to test it out.

To elaborate on a couple of things:

1) If you do have someone muted, you'll see an alert with the number of people you have muted. When you click on that, it will show you all the muted posts on that page and then give you the opportunity to unmute the person.

2) On desktop, that icon appears on the top right. On mobile, it's on the top left. Again, it only appears if you have at least one person in the thread muted. Muting someone in one thread does not mute them in others, you'll need to use the ignore function for that.

Again, it's supposed to be an easy solution to streamline viewing the board. So try it out and feel free to point out any issues, etc. The only other thing I am actively working on is making it where the muted number adjusts without a page refresh. I'm just trying to do it in a way that doesn't require any additional board resources, and I should hopefully have that done in the next day or so.

This is essentially giving you the ability to ban people from the thread yourself but only for your own viewing.
good point. I can imagine it will be used quit a bit generally speaking

Wait you can mute yourself!!

This will help all those users with multiple personalities
LOL, this has been corrected and I fixed a couple of other things. Still working on some additional tweaks, but appreciate the feedback so far ;)

I noticed quoted responses by muted users are still appearing. I’ll take another look at this later on after dinner and see if I can’t get that fixed tonight as well.

Last edited:
Awesome. Thank you! I’d like propose a name change, however.

Instead of the Thread Mute Function can we call it the “I’d like to order a freezing cold Cup of Joe with a few Drops of Venicol, some Flutie flakes and a Triumphant shot of the Captain” Function?

That was the least appealing Patsfans meal that I could think of.

Twitter

Does it work on Andy?

LOL, obvious bugs that I'll need to fix. Appreciate you guys pointing these things out ;)
Those aren’t bugs!

• Ha Ha
Reactions: Ian
Just following up to provide some visuals on these, which will be added into the other tutorials:

The Mute Button is located as shown below and again, it's thread specific so if someone is muted, it's just for the duration of that one thread:
1655173426022.png

That post and any other posts on that page associated with the user will then close. After you refresh - or go to another page - you'll see this icon at the top:

1655173573385.png

When you click on that, it will show you who you're muting in that thread, and then, if you want to, you can click "unmute" to add them back in:

1655173710555.png

Still working on quoted posts, which for whatever reason are a bit more elusive. But I'll post an update here once that's been added.

Last edited:
I muted Ian and now it shows nothing! This is great, now I can finally argue with just myself!!!

And always be right... I like it.

BTW what happened to NEM, did he pass??

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes