PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts On The Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see the patriots trade for Trent Williams if possible. Start him at LT then kick Wynn to right tackle.

Figuring out the offensive line is the single biggest job bb has this offseason.

This.

Brady has always had a quick read progression/release. Stidham is sort of a sidearm thrower which takes up more space in the pocket.

Then there's the need for a running game.....

No OL...we have no chance to be competitive.

If it were up to me:

1.) Sign Thuney long term to reduce his cap #.
2.) Have Cannon take a haircut or trade him. IMO, he's good....but we are rebuilding now, IMO.
3.) Draft two more OL-men...one interior and one tackle.

As for Andrews....the fact that the Pats were offering Karras modest money and the fact that Karras bolted to Miami is good news in regards to how both parties expected Andrews to be 100% come training camp, IMO.

I expect Wynn to be a lot better in year "2". Mason needs to be better too.

Pats need an OL coach too!

Er, they need a lot of coaches it would seem.

Front office
Head coach
Offensive coaches

Defensive coaches
Special teams coaches
Coaching assistants
Strength and conditioning
Coaching staff
Management
More NFL staffs

They were certainly offensive at times last year.

The line looks fine to me if Andrews plays. Might even be worth using our first on a C. BB knows the rebuild starts with the O line. Can’t expect to have a new QB learn the system and develop confidence with no protection (like so many other teams have shown).

It’s hard to be optimistic about extending Thuney. He now has all the leverage and won’t be pressured to take a team friendly deal. For the sake of discussion I’d consider him gone, for a 3rd rounder.

They could focus on acquiring a LT via draft or maybe trade, and move Wynn inside to Thuney’s spot.

It’s hard to overstate how impactful Trent Brown was. He was a road grader supreme.

There are a lot of good centers available throughout the draft, so I'm less worried about that position.

I would draft also one of the G/T hybrids.

If you get rid of Thuney, then you have to go high for a LT & decide whether to slide Wynn inside to Thuney's position.

Keep Cannon and evaluate Cajuste for next year.

So, I see it shaking out this way: draft 2 centers. If you lose Thuney, draft a tackle/guard hybrid. Let Cannon/Cajuste shake it out at RT for the year.

I expect an extension for Thuney, freeing up $7M or so of cap room.

CANNON
I would think that Cannon should either be extended, cut or traded. If he isn't part of the future, we might re-sign Newhouse for the small change that he has been making, and draft a RT with our first pick, pick 23 or a tradedown. This would free up a net of $4M or so of cap room.

THE DRAFT
We would draft a top RT, an interior OL, and perhaps another OL.

OT: Wynn, draftee, Cajuste, Newhouse, (Cannon), Cunningham
C: Andrews, Ferentz, draftee
OG: Thuney, Mason, Froholdt, draftee

I am pretty sure they drafted Cajuste with him being the teams next RT. He is a first round talent who stock dropped due to injury.

They put a tender on the kid they trade for from Baltimore so I’m pretty sure he is in their plans

It’s hard to be optimistic about extending Thuney. He now has all the leverage and won’t be pressured to take a team friendly deal. For the sake of discussion I’d consider him gone, for a 3rd rounder.

????

So, you would trade Thuney for a 2020 3rd rounder instead of getting a year of his play and a 2021 3rd rounder.

I am pretty sure they drafted Cajuste with him being the teams next RT. He is a first round talent who stock dropped due to injury...
People keep claiming this, but it's just not true.

????

So, you would trade Thuney for a 2020 3rd rounder instead of getting a year of his play and a 2021 3rd rounder.
Yes that’s better for us. We get the draft choice now and cap relief now. Can also move onto the next version of the OL.

I believe bb is trying to sign thuney to a long term contract. That is plan a.

But if bb can not get that extension, I suspect he will try to trade thuney. Plan b.

I believe bb is trying to sign thuney to a long term contract. That is plan a.

But if bb can not get that extension, I suspect he will try to trade thuney. Plan b.

If this is the plan, it doesn't need to be executed until the July deadline for signing franchisees to a long term contract. If we sign Thuney to an extension, the $7M-$8M should cover cost from then on. If not, then the draft choice we get for Thuney can be used to trade for an OL.

So, we have a OG roster spot for Thuney or another OL than we trade for. This future decision doesn't really affect planning before July much.

If we assume that Stidham is going to be QB1, then I think Thuney is staying. We can copy what the Rams and the Chiefs are doing by surrounding a QB1 on a rookie contract with a bunch of star players on front-loaded contracts. This way, we can keep Thuney and Mason at the same time, essentially having one of the best iOL in the league (assuming Andrews is fully healthy).

OT is kind of tough to evaluate. Cannon is turning 32, and is also injury-prone. He's good, but we should be looking at replacements. Cajuste is an unknown at this point so I wouldn't rely on him. LT is also difficult to evaluate since Wynn has been injured frequently. When he was on the field, he was decent, but maybe we should have an insurance LT in case Wynn doesn't pan out (durability-wise)?

You know which OL really screwed this team last year- JARED VELDHEER.
Apparently he was too much of a baby to play for the tough patriots...so he "retired". Then later in the season he decided to "unretire" and came back to play for the packers.

F him

The offensive line would really improve if we brought in a tight end with Gronk's blocking talent.

If looking at the current roster situation/assuming everyone stays put, biggest plus would just be seeing what Wynn, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, and Cannon look like all healthy together as the starting 5. Something we haven’t been able to see yet with Wynn missing 2018 and Andrews 2019. The “all healthy” part just isn’t always how this game works though unfortunately.

Last edited:
If we assume that Stidham is going to be QB1, then I think Thuney is staying. We can copy what the Rams and the Chiefs are doing by surrounding a QB1 on a rookie contract with a bunch of star players on front-loaded contracts. This way, we can keep Thuney and Mason at the same time, essentially having one of the best iOL in the league (assuming Andrews is fully healthy).

OT is kind of tough to evaluate. Cannon is turning 32, and is also injury-prone. He's good, but we should be looking at replacements. Cajuste is an unknown at this point so I wouldn't rely on him. LT is also difficult to evaluate since Wynn has been injured frequently. When he was on the field, he was decent, but maybe we should have an insurance LT in case Wynn doesn't pan out (durability-wise)?

Now we just need to start aquiring some stars cause we are severly lacking them right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes