PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Sony Michel

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was the best RB in the playoffs. That alone makes him worth a first rd pick. And I think he’s going to geteven better!
Agreed. Which makes me think that the rest of his career might be an anti-climax. How do you top scoring the winning touchdown in the last seven minutes of the Super Bowl as a rookie?

Agreed. Which makes me think that the rest of his career might be an anti-climax. How do you top scoring the winning touchdown in the last seven minutes of the Super Bowl as a rookie?

Score 2 rushing tds in the last 7 mins of a Super Bowl and become mvp? o_O

I'm in the minority, but don't see anything special in Sony. All his big runs have been through gaping holes. Once through the hole, he doesn't have any moves to make anyone miss.
Compare his 26 yard run on last drive of the SB to Burkhead's 26 yard run...Burkhead had more burst and elusiveness.
I'm glad we have Sony, I think he's solid...but nothing special about him and not worth a 1st round pick IMO.

I'm in the minority, but don't see anything special in Sony. All his big runs have been through gaping holes. Once through the hole, he doesn't have any moves to make anyone miss.
Compare his 26 yard run on last drive of the SB to Burkhead's 26 yard run...Burkhead had more burst and elusiveness.
I'm glad we have Sony, I think he's solid...but nothing special about him and not worth a 1st round pick IMO.
Sony is hands down way better than Rex.

Sony is hands down way better than Rex.
probably more durable, but don't see his running game being better.. and Rex at this point is a much better receiver.

What if the value in a first round pick is the 5th year option? Cost controlled team fit > something as nebulous as "talent." Sony was a sure thing. He fits every blocking scheme the Patriots run. He keeps the offense on schedule. The OL loves blocking for him.

Burkhead is a nice role player, and gives more flexibility in the passing game, but there's no way he functions as the workhorse for a dominating, physical ground game for an entire season.

What if the value in a first round pick is the 5th year option? Cost controlled team fit > something as nebulous as "talent." Sony was a sure thing. He fits every blocking scheme the Patriots run. He keeps the offense on schedule. The OL loves blocking for him.

Burkhead is a nice role player, and gives more flexibility in the passing game, but there's no way he functions as the workhorse for a dominating, physical ground game for an entire season.
yes, I agree with that

probably more durable, but don't see his running game being better.. and Rex at this point is a much better receiver.
Sony rushed for over 900 yards this season. Rex doesn't even have 900 in his career yet. Rex is the better receiver now but Sony will be better at receiving in another year or so (it took Vareen and White a few years to develope as receivers). This shouldn't really be a debate Rex is a nice player but Sony is already way better and still improving.

so in other words you are saying Fears/McDaniels/Belichick are clueless giving Michel a lot more carries than the more elusive Burkhead?

yards after contact per attempt

White 1.93
Burkhead 2.30
Sony 2.65

so in other words you are saying Fears/McDaniels/Belichick are clueless giving Michel a lot more carries than the more elusive Burkhead?

yards after contact per attempt

White 1.93
Burkhead 2.30
Sony 2.65

didn't say that..but Rex is more elusive

Sony is, without a doubt, the better runner than Rex. That being said I sort of echo you on pumping the breaks a bit. We aren't talking about a budding superstar yet.

But he is a smart runner and a hard runner who locates holes and is decisive. He is a valuable offensive piece who should only get better. I like the kid and ultimately he has already contributed more than our last several first round picks, easily.

Thoughts? He was awesome once he got on the field. Best back in the playoffs as someone said. No way we take home #6 without him. Not bad for a rookie! Thanks Sony!

Sony is, without a doubt, the better runner than Rex. That being said I sort of echo you on pumping the breaks a bit. We aren't talking about a budding superstar yet.

But he is a smart runner and a hard runner who locates holes and is decisive. He is a valuable offensive piece who should only get better. I like the kid and ultimately he has already contributed more than our last several first round picks, easily.
Over 16 games he almost had 1300yds rushing, 12 TDs, kicked ass in the playoffs and almost won SB MVP.

If he isn't a budding superstar now than what is?

he can make someone miss occasionally, Sony rarely does.

Can you show us some examples? Does it count that Sony ran through a tackle from Brockers, for example? I would say that's making him miss, but are you interpreting that as just contact power/balance? You want jukes in the open field?

I was cautiously optimistic he would be a solid starter.

Then, after seeing the whole body of the work, I was affirmed he’s going (already is, perhaps) to be a star and a key piece of this offense. He starts catching some balls out of the backfield and giddy up.

Love the pick/player/human. 1200-1300 yards, 10-12 TDs for Sony next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes