PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Sony Michel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take his vision over elite breakaway speed or other physical traits any day. You are crediting the OL a lot but it still requires a RB who reads situations right because it is not like he can just autopilot through the trenches. Many unexpected things happen as a play develops and the runner (and his blocking crew) still has to read everything right.

Finally I think the best thing about him was the dearth of negative running plays. Yes some people will be disappointed if we just pick up 1-2 on first down. But with lesser runners those plays could have been for negative 1-2 yards.

Nobody is suggesting Michel is an elite player at this point. But to be honest as far back as he was drafted with #32 he was worth the pick. People keep putting that first round label onto him as if he should be put under the same scrutiny as blue chippers like Gurley or Barkley. Which is absurd.

To add context to the point about vision, the Patriots operate one of the most varied and complex running games in the NFL, which says a lot about Sony's intelligence and versatility since he's able to adapt. How often do we hear that a player of a "one cut runner," or a "zone guy," or a strictly "gap scheme, power runner," etc. Not every player can handle inside/outside zone, running with a fullback, waiting for pulling guards, sensing lanes with a wham play, confidence going outside for tosses, and so on, with relatively equal skill.

The fact he makes it look boring should tell us that he's textbook.

Like some of us who watched him on Kimmel, I noticed his legs were like tree trunks. Since then I've watched some of his highlights (again) at UofG and with NE and imo there is no question he is bigger. How much weight I'm not sure but that might explain why he didn't have that breakaway gear this year.

He was 214 at UofG. I bet he's closer to 225 now. 10lbs of muscle is a lot.

Including catches he had 299 touches this year. That's a lot. Putting on that xtra mass might have hurt his breakaway speed (takes more time to get that mass to top speed) but he prooved he could handle the pounding.

Last edited:
I hope I’m not eating my words at some point but when I see Sony and James w. Too for that matter giving an interview or something, you can tell why B.B. chose them even from a character standpoint. They seem like the most innocent, humble dudes ever. One is a sb hero and the other is a budding star at a flashy position. It’s like, you could never picture either causing the slightest issue in the locker room lol
I think they are both SB heros now.

The narrative on Sony could be that of an elite player at his position had 4 or 5 of his biggest runs weren't called back for penalties. Couple that with the fact that he missed a few games He couldve easily been a 1400 or 1500 yd back.

I take his vision over elite breakaway speed or other physical traits any day. You are crediting the OL a lot but it still requires a RB who reads situations right because it is not like he can just autopilot through the trenches. Many unexpected things happen as a play develops and the runner (and his blocking crew) still has to read everything right.

Finally I think the best thing about him was the dearth of negative running plays. Yes some people will be disappointed if we just pick up 1-2 on first down. But with lesser runners those plays could have been for negative 1-2 yards.

Nobody is suggesting Michel is an elite player at this point. But to be honest as far back as he was drafted with #32 he was worth the pick. People keep putting that first round label onto him as if he should be put under the same scrutiny as blue chippers like Gurley or Barkley. Which is absurd.

Exactly. Call it vision or being instinctual or whatever but Sony definitely has it. Some of the seams he hit last season could be called crevices. haha

To add context to the point about vision, the Patriots operate one of the most varied and complex running games in the NFL, which says a lot about Sony's intelligence and versatility since he's able to adapt. How often do we hear that a player of a "one cut runner," or a "zone guy," or a strictly "gap scheme, power runner," etc. Not every player can handle inside/outside zone, running with a fullback, waiting for pulling guards, sensing lanes with a wham play, confidence going outside for tosses, and so on, with relatively equal skill.

The fact he makes it look boring should tell us that he's textbook.

Former lineman Geoff Schwartz was agog on Twitter that the Pats ran 16 different types of running plays in the Super Bowl, and listed them all. In contrast, the Rams ran 3. (I think he was serious)

Exactly. Call it vision or being instinctual or whatever but Sony definitely has it. Some of the seams he hit last season could be called crevices. haha
Let’s try to imagine how many yards beloved but limited Benjarvus Green-Ellis would have gotten in Michels place. 10% less? 20%? And not much more in terms of pass catching.

he was a very good pass catching running back in College. That was one thing lacking in his game this year. Once he gets that down, he will be a much more dangerous weapon.

teams wont be able to key in on the run and put 8 in the box anymore...and even when they were he still was a beast.

The dude ran against a stacked box like every single play...

His impact will only continue to go up, it will just be interesting to see how we take him off the field (spell him) going forward

Pump the brakes. I really like Sony. He has good vision and runs hard. He was a legitimate contributor this year despite what some local pundits may tell you.

But let's not start making comparisons to Curtis Martin. Sony had a great offensive line and scheme to run behind. So good that you even had James White looking effective between the tackles at several points during the season.

I like the kid but physically I haven't seen anything to suggest he'd be elite. He doesn't have that breakaway speed right now. But he is a smart runner with patience and vision. And that is pretty good for me.

All in all he had a very nice rookie campaign. Not amazing like some honks would suggest but certainly not as dismissive as some pundits have been.9

He had Stevan Ridley's 2012 season last year, as a rookie - missing most of camp and the first chunk of the season - without the fumbles.

I think projecting to the 14-1500 yard mark isn't all that unusual.

Curtis Martin isn't exactly known for his breakaway speed either.

Like some of us who watched him on Kimmel, I noticed his legs were like tree trunks. Since then I've watched some of his highlights (again) at UofG and with NE and imo there is no question he is bigger. How much weight I'm not sure but that might explain why he didn't have that breakaway gear this year.

He was 214 at UofG. I bet he's closer to 225 now. 10lbs of muscle is a lot.

Including catches he had 299 touches this year. That's a lot. Putting on that xtra mass might have hurt his breakaway speed (takes more time to get that mass to top speed) but he proved he could handle the pounding.

225 makes him the same size as Corey Dillon.

225 makes him the same size as Corey Dillon.
Maybe in Cinci but I'd argue Dillon was a helluva lot more than that when he was here. I think he was 240.

He had a very solid first campaign. I'm looking for him to take a leap next year - in particular a few longer runs and some improvement in the passing game before I call him a great pick.

He had a very solid first campaign. I'm looking for him to take a leap next year - in particular a few longer runs and some improvement in the passing game before I call him a great pick.

Do you think we make it to / win the Super Bowl without him?

Hard to tell really. Depends which RB took his place on the roster.

no chance in hell.

Both Burkhead and White are among the worst pure runners in the NFL. White average less than 2 yards after contact and Burkhead was not much better. We are definitely losing at KC and the game vs SD is much much closer.

I'm hoping for a ten year career, but given his knee situation would be happy to see him give 4 years like this. The guy deserves to get that second contract to set him up for life, but I'm not optimistic about it. Want to be, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes