PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This year the Pats could become the greatest franchise in NFL history

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Packers have 4 Championships period. It is not fair to count pre-superbowl championships, they were basically just winning the NFC( dont care that there was no AFC) If they get credit for that then we should get credit for our AFC championships.

In the first 6 "Championships" of the Packers there were between 9 & 12 teams, TOTAL! (Including the Boston Bulldogs & Providence Steamrollers)
For comparison I wouldn't use any seasons prior to Superbowl era (1966) AT BEST, preferably since the salary cap 1994.
In salary cap era Pats have won-5, Denver-3, Pit, Balt, & NYG - 2.

The Packers have 4 Championships period. It is not fair to count pre-superbowl championships, they were basically just winning the NFC( dont care that there was no AFC) If they get credit for that then we should get credit for our AFC championships.

To be fair there were no other teams for them to beat back then. Can't say the same for winning a conference title today. That's an apples to oranges comparison.

Yes, there were fewer team then, but they were still NFL champs. I know this won't be popular here, but I don't subscribe to the theory that everything prior to the merger does not count. That's an unfair slight to legends like Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown, Johnny Unitas, Jimmy Brown, Ray Nitschke, **** Butkus, Don Hutson, Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, etc.

Pro football was not invented in 1970.

To be fair there were no other teams for them to beat back then. Can't say the same for winning a conference title today. That's an apples to oranges comparison.

Yes, there were fewer team then, but they were still NFL champs. I know this won't be popular here, but I don't subscribe to the theory that everything prior to the merger does not count. That's an unfair slight to legends like Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown, Johnny Unitas, Jimmy Brown, Ray Nitschke, **** Butkus, Don Hutson, Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, etc.

Pro football was not invented in 1970.

True. Pro football was invented in 2001. ;)

If there waw an argument for the Steelers it would be since 60 they have rarely had a bad season while the Pats since 60 have had less consistent success.

Good points, all. I would change it to 1970 for the Steelers. The 60s were not kind to them as they went 46-85 during the 60s and 1-15 in Noll's first year and then a few Hall of Fame drafts helped turn it around....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back