PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This thread is just about football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ok, since it seems that it will be impossible to ever consolidate the dozen McFadden threads, and Maroney threads, and SpyGate threads, and Mangini in Newsday thread, etc., I've decided to go the opposite route and see if we can't consolidate talk about FOOTBALL into one thread.

Anyway, I'd specifically like to address the Jets game. As much as we'd love to crush these guys, the Jets seem to have been playing better D recently.

My Jets fan buddy swears that Revis is going to be a stud.

What are thoughts on their D? Are they playing better 3-4? Where are their weak links? Strengths? Gotta admit, I'm not totally up on this team so would welcome the discussion.

They're better but they still suck. Revis is the real deal. Harris seems solid, too.

We'll dominate the game I'd say. They won't get much pass rush and our D will dominate their inexperienced QB....Pats 34-14

However, don't expect many replies. People hate to talk football on this football board....

Yeah, I guess they didn't look so hot vs. Dallas. Though they did limit a good Cleveland offense to only 24.

Though I fully expect Magina to play NE very similar to what Romeo did earlier in the year (the original "blueprint" on how to not lose too badly to the Pats) and how Ravens/Eagles played as well. i.e. get physical with Moss.

How physical is Revis a CB? And do you think they'll assign him to Moss?

all i'm saying is we are going to kick Jet arssssssss this Sun.

We defeated Steelers and therefore, we are going to defeat Jet. A big blow out is on its way. Hurricane 1, baby.

But for the weather, this game would be a relative layup. Pats skill players are far superior to the Jets' skill players. Pats lines are also better. Pats are on the positive end of every matchup.

But crazy **** happens in the snow. The Pats beating Shula's mighty Dolhins team on the back of Henderson's snow plow is just one example. The weather really worries me.... Even though historically the Pats win those games, it introduces uncertainty into a situation that would be a no-brainer if played in a dome.

What are thoughts on their D? Are they playing better 3-4? Where are their weak links? Strengths? Gotta admit, I'm not totally up on this team so would welcome the discussion.

They have the #30th ranked rushing defense. That's their weak link. They have the #11th ranked passing defense. Revis must be working out for them. The Pats will crush them anyways.

They have a strength in special teams and Leon Washington is a threat to go all the way with every kick and punt he touches and hanson has poor net yards as has been discussed, on the positive side we don't put much or concede lots of scores so we can take away his threat. Revis is a threat but he isn't gonna beat randy to the ball there not gonna put him against Welker or Gaffney that leaves Stalworth we don't go to him as often and is we do its on short thing and screens for him to use what he's got to make the yards. I am sure were safe against the jets.

Admittedly, I've not been tracking the Jets this season. They're pretty boring. That being said, I appreciate you posting an honest to gawd football thread.

I expect the Pats to play a similar strategy they played in the first game, as they used a successful OL blocking strategy to identify and pick off the blitzes that were successful against them during the regular season last year. Given the additional game tapes BB now has on Mangini and his crew of geniuses, I expect the Pats to hold the edge on offense and defense.

The weather will be the wild card, and while I don't expect the game to be close, I do think that snow accumulation will slow the Pats offense a bit and make the score closer. If there is no snow and wind and the field conditions for traction are good, I believe this game could become a clinic for Patriots' execution on both sides of the ball by the middle of the 3rd quarter.

Last edited:
I think Jim Brown was better than Emmit Smith, and O.J. in his record year was well ahead of ****erson in his big year.

The Jets have a lot of 'rebuilding' to do, and they haven't made the most of their drafting, although this year's maneuvering to get higher draft picks seems to have worked out very well. Robertson and Ferguson have been disappointments, Clemens looks destined for 3rd string or Arena league status (although it's very early in his progression and it's possible that he could surprise. It's unfair to judge him as a bust so far, but I just don't get the 'it' vibe), and Pennington's arm strength seems to be completely gone.

Mangold's been solid at center and Washington's been a nice pickup for a special teams player and change of pace back. Outside of those two players, there's really been nothing to give any major hope for the future of the offense.

On defense, Revis has looked good at times and struggled at others, but he's a rookie who came in late. Harris looks good too. The DL is weak and Vilma was a disappointment this season.

Frankly, from what I've seen of this team, the Jets are in need of almost as big an overhaul as the Dolphins. Pennington has been able to mask this team's weaknesses at times in the past, but he's no longer capable of bailing them out. Naturally, in a year where they'll get a high draft choice, there are no 'franchise' quarterbacks available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back